Tanner Lee Named Starting QB

Good luck to Tanner this year. Hopefully he can become the best QB in the West.

Really hope POB sticks around. He will probably be needed at some point for important snaps. McKewon has commented that he has improved a ton since last spring/fall.

So is POB now the most popular (fan wise) player on the team? Or Gebbia?

From everyone I have talked to who actually attended the game, all the buzz is about Gebbia. Everyone I talked to that was there claimed he was the best we have. If we see struggles at the QB position, I have no doubt fans will be hollering about removing the shirt.

Which will not happen.

If Riley wouldn't burn O'Brien's redshirt last year with Tommy unable to play...he's darn sure not going to burn Gebbia's redshirt with 2 other capable QBs to pick from.

Another thing that has been said about all of our quarterbacks that has been overlooked, the ability to make changes to a run play or pass plays before the snap. Not sure how much Tommy was doing that but a quarterback who nearly always knows how to check the offense into the right play is invaluable

Tommy ran a lot of Run Pass Option plays to success last year. That requires making a pre-snap read, and making the correct decision, with 3 possible outcomes (pass, QB run, and RB run). Let's not have revisionist history and make it seem like Tommy couldn't make the right decisions. Where Tommy struggled was physically making the throw on time and accurately.

I don't know what audibles Tommy was/wasn't making pre-snap. That said, his decision making was often criticized, far to often he threw the YOLO when he could have thrown a higher percentage pass to a different, open, reciever, for example.

*Edit* What Moiraine said too.

POB...you are one play...or one practice away from being the starter. That ain't bad Don't transfer, but don't "accept" it either. You know where you stand now, and you can still do something about it. It is always good to know the score. Work hard this summer, focus, don't give up and make sure you are ready when that "one play" happens...or work hard enough to put Lee in the "one play way" status. We know you are one hell of a QB and we believe you are one hell of a teammate as well. Your chance to prove both is here.

I hope Lee has the best year for a Nebraska QB ever....and decides to leave to the NFL. That way, we can get POB into the starting role for a year or two and Gebbia for a year or two as well :D

I'd take that; chances are that if Lee has the type of year that would be conducive to him going pro, then Nebraska probably has a pretty good year.

Now that we will have not 1 but 2 QB's that the defense will have to respect their ability to pass, they won't be able to stack the box or cheat into the box. Lee will rip them to shreds if they do it. He has a quick release and seems to be very accurate. This will give LB's problems when they decide to bite on the fake up the gut. I have thought for quite some time, if we would have had a REAL QB we would have already won a B1G title. As for the receiving corp being young, who do you think Lee was throwing too on the scout team. They have their timing down already.

I hope Lee has the best year for a Nebraska QB ever....and decides to leave to the NFL. That way, we can get POB into the starting role for a year or two and Gebbia for a year or two as well :D

Why? You want an unproven QB taking the reigns for that brutal 2018 schedule instead of a QB who just had a great year? Transfers happen, just play the best guy.

Why? You want an unproven QB taking the reigns for that brutal 2018 schedule instead of a QB who just had a great year? Transfers happen, just play the best guy.

I want people to see us put QB's in the NFL so we can continue to attract elite talent at that position.

I'd rather have that any day then someone transferring.

Id rather have a 4 year starter with some inevitable transfers than a different starter every year

Spring summary:

Quarterback is set. Three guys who can throw the ball with confidence and accuracy. Future is bright.

Offensive line? Hard to tell. The game atmosphere will be very different this fall. I get the concerns, but I am Ok with letting it play out into the fall.

RB? Got some guys there with talent. I figure we will play the guy with the moss pass protect and catch out of the backfield skills, but that's this offense's nature.

WR? It will look different this fall. Competition will be good. Young guys need to be ready to go. But I am fairly confident.

Defense as a whole? Can't determine anything there. They didn't show anything, probably because they're not ready to run a lot of the stuff. We will find out this fall, but with a competent passer, I think Nebraska does a better job of moving the sticks and keeping the defense out of bad situations.

I was not confident going into spring ball, but saw a lot from the QB position. We are recruiting better right now. Just keep marching. 10-2 with a possible shot at the conference title would be top end for this team. Look out for Nebraska in 2018 and 2019 though.

Spring summary:

Quarterback is set. Three guys who can throw the ball with confidence and accuracy. Future is bright.

Offensive line? Hard to tell. The game atmosphere will be very different this fall. I get the concerns, but I am Ok with letting it play out into the fall.

RB? Got some guys there with talent. I figure we will play the guy with the moss pass protect and catch out of the backfield skills, but that's this offense's nature.

WR? It will look different this fall. Competition will be good. Young guys need to be ready to go. But I am fairly confident.

Defense as a whole? Can't determine anything there. They didn't show anything, probably because they're not ready to run a lot of the stuff. We will find out this fall, but with a competent passer, I think Nebraska does a better job of moving the sticks and keeping the defense out of bad situations.

I was not confident going into spring ball, but saw a lot from the QB position. We are recruiting better right now. Just keep marching. 10-2 with a possible shot at the conference title would be top end for this team. Look out for Nebraska in 2018 and 2019 though.

I like your take and I think this team is capable of meeting your high end projection if the qb's stay consistent, we get better line play and Diaco ramps up the defense.
  • 3 weeks later...