Tanner Lee Named Starting QB

"We had been real thorough in our evaluation. I've done it different ways through the years. There have been years — and one I remember in particular — when I waited until the week before the first game. I learned then that I didn't want to do that again," Riley said during the radio appearance.

Riley acknowledged it could take off the table a potentially distracting storyline once practices kick up again in August.

"I didn't really want to start fall camp making that the story," Riley said. "The story is out right now. Everybody can sit on it, including our team and our quarterbacks. And we can prepare and basically enter fall camp without any drama at that position."

LJS

“Patrick had a great spring,” Riley said. “He competed like crazy. I’m really proud of him. The best thing would be if Patrick takes this and understands he’s one play away from playing in the games. He’s going to be ready. He’s going to compete.”

Riley said Wednesday he’s “not naïve” to the fact that some quarterbacks, when they’re not named the starter, choose to transfer, but he didn’t expect O’Brien to do so.

Nebraska’s coaches — including Riley and offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf — “debated and talked” Monday and Tuesday, Riley said, as to who should be the starter and whether Nebraska should anoint that guy so quickly after spring. Riley said NU’s offense will benefit from Lee’s leadership during summer conditioning workouts and in training camp. Lee was named one of 11 “Husker Way” captains during winter conditioning despite not playing a game at Nebraska.

OWH

3. Lee earned raves for his work on scout team last year, and his best trait is that he puts the ball where receivers can do something after the catch. Lee hits a lot of receivers in stride. In Nebraska’s offense, which wants to take advantage of angles on deep passes and receivers’ running talents on shorter throws, that’s crucial. Armstrong struggled with that, especially on quick throws to the perimeter. Lee doesn’t. He opens up quickly, gets rid of the ball on time and puts it in a spot where receivers can do their thing. He’ll make De'Mornay Pierson-El and JD Spielman better especially.

Now, the deep ball over the middle needs a little work. Lee throws a beaut of a corner route. He drops that one with poise and pretty spirals. However, reporters watched in spring camp as he overthrew Pierson-El on multiple occasions for what would have been sure touchdowns. Lee can throw the ball a long way, but he’ll have to put a little more air under it occasionally.

5. O’Brien had better be ready. Here’s why: Nebraska had more than one quarterback start games in 2016, 2015, 2013, 2010, 2009 and 2007. In 2011 and 2012, when Taylor Martinez played every game, it’d be fair to say he played through injuries that some quarterbacks wouldn’t if Martinez had any kind of suitable backup, which he didn’t. O’Brien's spring proved he’s more than suitable, despite not playing in a collegiate game yet. He makes decent decisions and has good pocket presence. Nebraska wants him in the fold, and he’d be wise to stay in it. Lee may only be at NU one season if Lee has the kind of year people think he can.

OWH

Thanks Mav. Your thoughts??

I know you have two cents somewhere... Just curious thx

Seemed like everything was heading this way for some time so not surprising.

There have been a lot of good things said about Lee. Sometimes there are a lot of good things said about guys who haven't played that doesn't end up meaning much. Hopefully that is not the case here.

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other at this point. I got to watch parts of the Spring Game but haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing yet. But even then, it seems like the defenses weren't offering much resistance so I'm not sure that says a lot either.

For me, I'm going to have to see 2-3 "real" games - which won't include Arkansas State or maybe even Northern Illinois. But he seems to do some things that can make a QB - and an offense - look good. Gets rid of the ball fast. Seems to be pretty accurate. I - along with others - have been saying for years that if we can just get it to our receivers with a chance to do something after the catch, we would have something. He seems to be able to do that pretty well.

It will also be interesting to see how things around him come together. There is quite a bit of concern about the OL. And we've struggled to have much of a running game whether the OL is playing well or not. So I'll be watching to see if Lee is asked to be part of the offense or to carry the offense. That might make quite a bit of difference as well.

I've said it before and until proven wrong will keep saying it: Nebraska is going to fine at the QB spot regardless of it is Lee, O'Brien, or even Gebbia.

I'm far more worried about our OL and how well we'll play on defense in the new 3-4 scheme.

To be fair though, the spring game gave me a lot of confidence in this team. I saw so many good things happening. Well maybe "a lot of confidence" is over-stating it a bit, but I definitely feel better than I did before.

• Fire 2

Another thing that has been said about all of our quarterbacks that has been overlooked, the ability to make changes to a run play or pass plays before the snap. Not sure how much Tommy was doing that but a quarterback who nearly always knows how to check the offense into the right play is invaluable

• Fire 1

Thanks brotha Mav

I agree with a few of your points. The OL, the run scheme, the accuracy and getting the ball to pass catchers to do something other than catch it.

IMO Lee's tested to a degree as an underclassman. It's helpful and he's been around but... He's been away from it awhile.

I think the first game will tell a bit, but the road game at Oregon for sure. The opener will not come easy for the team (traditional cupcakes).

I like his age & maturity. Yes the release & accuracy is there. It's not perfect but at this time next season it might be among the top guys in conference.

I've always believed that if you have an all-american type QB at the position (insert any top heralded qb over the years that passes the eye test in college football, not necessarily literally) and you have a great shot in any game. Think of Saturday night prime time games...

The defense should help. There's no Banker scheme. Great replacement so far. The Wr's are inexperienced with depth but seem pretty good with plug and play, and TE's look to be the part in pass catching. Not worried with runners - Bryant Wilbon Ozigbo - but do need some variety with run plays.

I am so discouraged with the line that I have to hope that somehow the group & coach will find a fire between now and game one. Because I cannot sugar coat it...... It will be the weakest link trajectory. It is the weakest, especially for the supposedly toughest, most talented group around pound for pound.

And well, to have a guy like POB ready to step in - compared to years past - it's a very comforting feeling and position to be in for our team

• Fire 1

Another thing that has been said about all of our quarterbacks that has been overlooked, the ability to make changes to a run play or pass plays before the snap. Not sure how much Tommy was doing that but a quarterback who nearly always knows how to check the offense into the right play is invaluable

Tommy ran a lot of Run Pass Option plays to success last year. That requires making a pre-snap read, and making the correct decision, with 3 possible outcomes (pass, QB run, and RB run). Let's not have revisionist history and make it seem like Tommy couldn't make the right decisions. Where Tommy struggled was physically making the throw on time and accurately.

• Fire 2

I think Langs has mentioned them being able to get them into "better" run calls at the line. That's a big deal so we aren't always running into the teeth of the defense

I'm glad to see a starter named. This way we won't linger through the summer with a QB controversy hanging over the team's heads, distracting them from getting ready for the season.

One thing I *would* like to see though, is for POB to get meaningful snaps this fall. I've long thought that the #2 (if you have a legit #2) should get at least a series per game. It would bring along the #2 guy much faster. And I think Tanner Lee discussing the defense with Langs on the sideline would help out as well. /jmho

Tommy ran a lot of Run Pass Option plays to success last year. That requires making a pre-snap read, and making the correct decision, with 3 possible outcomes (pass, QB run, and RB run). Let's not have revisionist history and make it seem like Tommy couldn't make the right decisions. Where Tommy struggled was physically making the throw on time and accurately.
I wasn't playing revisionist whatsoever I said and I quote "not sure how much Tommy was doing that" because I was not sure how much Tommy was doing that. Not a shot so you can back down there buddy
  • Fire 1