McKewon: The Great Nebraska Talent Debate

'Terrible' is a bit hyperbolic, but is anyone really going to argue that we match up with Michigan/OSU/PSU in terms of talent and depth?

That's the whole point. The draft isn't the sole indicator of this, but it is one of many that show, accurately, that we are not where we need to be to be a bona fide championship caliber program. Nobody is saying there is a direct variation between number of players drafted and team talent, but there's also no use in arguing that it is a representative example of something true.

• Fire 4

'Terrible' is a bit hyperbolic, but is anyone really going to argue that we match up with Michigan/OSU/PSU in terms of talent and depth?

That's the whole point. The draft isn't the sole indicator of this, but it is one of many that show, accurately, that we are not where we need to be to be a bona fide championship caliber program. Nobody is saying there is a direct variation between number of players drafted and team talent, but there's also no use in arguing that it is a representative example of something true.

Apparently to some on this board, bemoaning our pitiful draft representation is the de-facto "see we have no talent at all" rallying cry.

You are correct, my earlier usage of "terrible" to describe Nebraska's talent level was over-stated.

I agree that Nebraska's talent and depth across the roster was terrible under the former head coach. I also agree that Mike Riley and his coaches are recruiting at a much higher level.

But could people STOP equating the number of players drafted into the league as the measure of "talent!?" It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

It really is. Sure there are some college record holders who don't make to the NFL because of size, speed, whatever, but the vast majority of college football's best players get drafted. It's really that simple.

I agree that Nebraska's talent and depth across the roster was terrible under the former head coach. I also agree that Mike Riley and his coaches are recruiting at a much higher level.

But could people STOP equating the number of players drafted into the league as the measure of "talent!?" It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

It really is. Sure there are some college record holders who don't make to the NFL because of size, speed, whatever, but the vast majority of college football's best players get drafted. It's really that simple.

In any given year, about 1% of college football players get drafted.

Is this #AlternativeMath where one percent = vast majority?

• Fire 1

he said best players
  • Fire 1

he said best players

No, he said "THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S BEST PLAYERS GET DRAFTED."

1% is not, nor will it ever be, the "vast majority."

Unless you ascribe to #TrumpMath

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

1 player drafted this year...

Penn state is an outlier because of the sanctions. They will put a lot more in the draft in years to come

missing-the-point.gif

I typically have a hard time trying to make out your point so you're not wrong.
  • Fire 1

...are you really not able to figure out the syntax of his post? The way you just interpreted that is hilariously wrong.

What southernoregonhusker is saying is that most of the best players get drafted. For example, if the best players are the 100 most talented, he's saying somewhere around 90-92 of those 100 will get drafted. A vast majority, 92%.

What you think he's saying is that 90-92 players drafted out of tens of thousands of players across the country is a vast majority. Which would be true, if he was saying anything even close to that. But he's not.

• Fire 1

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

1 player drafted this year...

Penn state is an outlier because of the sanctions. They will put a lot more in the draft in years to come

missing-the-point.gif

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they missed your point entirely.

he said best players

No, he said "THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S BEST PLAYERS GET DRAFTED."

1% is not, nor will it ever be, the "vast majority."

Unless you ascribe to #TrumpMath

Come on. You know the difference between "THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S PLAYERS GET DRAFTED" and "THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL'S BEST PLAYERS GET DRAFTED."