The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yes, this would technically be a form of "other coverage".

I was just curious. This is basically my only source I’ve seen on it since I can’t vote in the primary. I think a) a lot of people are irritated with all politicians and politics and b) a lot of the people replying tend to vote for Republicans and are trying to be swayed to not vote for an Independent but aren’t being impressed. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's interesting that in this data, it's under 50% for Trump approval.  Omaha isn't that big.  There has to be people in out state that don't like him too.

The district which should be 1/3 of the pop voted 52-48 but Bacon is probably more popular than Trump (the rep and the food). So maybe that 1/3 is ~40% approval of Trump and the other 2/3 are 55%. Just a guess.

Well I do a weekly podcast with my buddy in South Dakota and he wanted to cover the debates.  I haven't subjected myself to them but my other friend did.  So I had him fill in for me.  I finally got to watch it and it's cracking me up at the amount of funny they got out of it but also some good discussion about it.  Here's the link if anyone wants a different take on them, the first half of the video is the Democratic debates, then things get wacky lol.

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well I do a weekly podcast with my buddy in South Dakota and he wanted to cover the debates.  I haven't subjected myself to them but my other friend did.  So I had him fill in for me.  I finally got to watch it and it's cracking me up at the amount of funny they got out of it but also some good discussion about it.  Here's the link if anyone wants a different take on them, the first half of the video is the Democratic debates, then things get wacky lol.

I watched about 3 mins of it and one of the candidates whose name I don’t know was talking about taxes and said we need the right people to have $ and move it out of the hands of the wrong people.

I’m not anti tax but that was just an awful sound bite and cracked me the hell up. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's interesting that in this data, it's under 50% for Trump approval.  Omaha isn't that big.  There has to be people in out state that don't like him too.

Omaha has 1.3 million in the omaha metro area. I believe that includes CB, IA also. But a little less than 2 million in the whole state. So Omaha makes up most of the state.

59 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I don’t know where you got that but it is more like 550k or so including Bellevue, La Vista, and Offutt.

https://www.nebraska-demographics.com/cities_by_population

I did misread it. It says 1.3 million within 50 mile radius so that would include Lincoln. Right under a million for Fremont, Omaha, CB. 

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/omaha-population/

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/05/politics/aoc-liberals-joe-biden-cnn-interview/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

I think CNN gets carried away with their wording here like they often do, so I try not to read their articles too often. E.g. they say Biden slams Medicare for all and try to make it sound like he calls it irrational. He *sort of* did the latter, by saying his plan is rational, but the way he said it is not nearly as bad as they are suggesting.

That said, Medicare for all makes a whole lot of sense to me on the surface so I don’t like the attitudes people seem to have about it and this is another reason for me not to support Biden. Medicare for all should be seriously considered, at the very least.

The reason it makes sense on the surface is, right now we are all paying into Medicare, and Medicare is used to help the old people. Which people cost the most $ to provide health care for? Old people.

If we can collectively afford to take care of the old people, it seems to me we can collectively afford to take care of everyone, because the average expense would be lower. I think most people would save money if we did this because the US together would have more clout with the insurance companies and health care providers and drug companies. The increase in taxes should be less than what we’d save from how we’re paying for healthcare right now.

I know there’s reason for concern because a lot could go wrong, but people shouldn’t look down their nose on it like it’s crazy. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Bernie has been in the game a lot longer than Biden on healthcare for all.  I remember back in 2009 he introduced his single payer bill...I thought he was a loony tune then...but now I'm not so sure.  I think he was ahead of the game. 

I look at all other developed nations having single payer, government health care and it works.  I think the same could be done here and it would really take a lot of the pressure off of people who have medical bills (Like myself...with over 100k in bills pending from the past 10 years).

I don't really think any of the candidates would follow through with healthcare for all...not a single one.  I think Biden might.  Harris won't.  Sanders definitely would.

I don't think Harris will, but I think Biden is less likely to than she is. (Both are highly unlikely).

I believe 65% of Americans now support some form of single-payer national healthcare  — a number that's grown rapidly. 

And roughly 100% of the private healthcare industry and their lobbyists remain against it.

Who do you think will win that fight?

How many Democratic candidates will hedge and rationalize a compromise that claims the status quo as a victory? 

How many people are willing to give Sanders credit for saying the same things for 40 years rather then bending to the political winds of the times?

Again, the way the wealthiest nation on Earth currently spends its money is literally insane. Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, and free college education don't even come close in terms of whacky. 

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

And yet you can attend college for free in almost all developed nations

You have free healthcare in almost all developed nations

And many Scandinavian and European nations have cut fossil fuel dependence majorly in the past 10 years.

It can be done...people have to think logically and stop being selfish and prideful.  Hard to do in this country even with the HIGHEST POVERTY LEVEL for children in any developed nation.  Sad that we spend so much on a flyover for the 4th of July and for tanks and yet we can't even help our starving and homeless kids.  Our priorities, which should not be partisan, actually are.

It's so hard for me to wrap my head around, because I have many dear friends who vote the rightwing into office.

But the only explanation for the Trump/GOP agenda is that cruelty IS the point. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's so hard for me to wrap my head around, because I have many dear friends who vote the rightwing into office.

But the only explanation for the Trump/GOP agenda is that cruelty IS the point. 

I'm not the first person to make this observation:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/