The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's what California is trying to fix.   

Which maybe brings up a point.  Are the primaries ran by the state and the general elections ran by the federal government?

Maybe that's why the California law couldn't do anything about the general election. 

The general election is still administered by the CA Secretary of State, though. And likely in compliance with state laws, meaning this would affect the general as well.

Either way this is going to court.

18 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The general election is still administered by the CA Secretary of State, though. And likely in compliance with state laws, meaning this would affect the general as well.

Either way this is going to court.

But, does the state AG control it based on federal law?

On 7/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, knapplc said:

Interesting premise. Of course I think Trump should have released his taxes and the fact that he didn't was an early disqualifier for me. I just never expected a state to take it this far.

If this happens in Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio, expect Trump to raise hell.

But the problem for him is, he'd have to fight court battles in each state to force his name onto the ballot, and that could take a long time.

One thing to think about: I'd bet a lot of money that Newsome is going to run for President in the next 8-12 years; this is something he can point to on the campaign trail. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, BlitzFirst said:

Part of why I like Bernie...he's not doing this with businesses behind him...he's doing it with PEOPLE behind him.  He's got ALMOST DOUBLE the amount of donors as the next man/woman up. 

Bottom line is that more donors = smaller donations = NOT A BUSINESS.  Sanders wants to get it done by not being obligated to anyone but the American people.    He's my choice for organizer in chief:

That is something to consider.  His top donors aren't businesses so he isn't beholden to a few big businesses, but they are PACs and special interest groups.

LINK

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is something to consider.  His top donors aren't businesses so he isn't beholden to a few big businesses, but they are PACs and special interest groups.

LINK

All I could find was like unions and stuff like that, which isnt surprising as he is a huge supporter of unions. Am I missing something?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

All I could find was like unions and stuff like that, which isnt surprising as he is a huge supporter of unions. Am I missing something?

Top 5 individual contributors are:

American Postal Workers Union

Moveon.org

Service Employe International Union

Google Inc. (hmmmm......No business contributions???)

America Works

I also don't see why a company contributing is horrible and a Union contributing is great.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Top 5 individual contributors are:

American Postal Workers Union

Moveon.org

Service Employe International Union

Google Inc. (hmmmm......No business contributions???)

America Works

I also don't see why a company contributing is horrible and a Union contributing is great.

My guess would be that unions represent the little man working for the company. The company represents the big wigs and their interests. 

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

My guess would be that unions represent the little man working for the company. The company represents the big wigs and their interests. 

So?

They are each an organization that represents people.  

I've known union people who were pissed that their dues were being used to support candidates they didn't support themselves.