The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 3/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, Danny Bateman said:

I can't control if you don't trust Biden. That's your decision to make. I'm just out here trying to make the best of things and make a positive case for his potential presidency.

It will be better than another four years of Trump.  And there's reason to hope that Biden will learn from the progressive movement as he continues to adapt/adopt some of their ideas.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Well, I hope you're watching the debate tonight.  Joe is getting his a$$ handed to him.  And if you think Trump will hold back with tact like Bernie is...you're sadly mistaken.  Biden will get trounced in debates by Trump.

I didn't see the debate.  I'll have to catch what I can.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't see the debate.  I'll have to catch what I can.

I thought Joe did fine. Initially they started off talking about Covid-19 and avoided engaging each other while attacking Trump, which was cool. Eventually they got into it on several issues and went tit-for-tat with each other but nothing serious. Bernie objecting to Biden's plans as inadequate vs. Biden arguing Bernie hasn't gotten anything done and he has.

Pretty standard fare. I really liked the no audience format. Overall I thought it was a pretty substantive debate. Biden confirmed his running mate would be a woman and Bernie said "in all likelihood" his would be, so we learned that.

27 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Biden confirmed his running mate would be a woman and Bernie said "in all likelihood" his would be, so we learned that

No surprise there.  Either Sen Harris or Sen Amy K are my choices.  I think Sen Harris may be the stronger candidate but also a good AG pick. 

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

You miss the part where Biden lied to everyone saying he never argued to cut social security and medical coverage?

Yeah, Biden did fine...lying to people.

That's a silly line of attack for Bernie. I get it, but that doesn't make it any less true or intellectually honest. Biden never argued for out-and-out cuts on this stuff and when he supported lowering benefits over 40 years as part of negotiations between their administration and the GOP, Dems killed that idea.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/12/bernie-sanders/sanders-misleading-social-security-attack-biden/

xyKYN3F.png?1

25 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Don't you mean 25 years ago also when he took pride in what he did?

He could have just admitted it and said he was mistaken to do so.  Instead, he said he NEVER SAID IT.  That was the lie. 

We know what a leader who can't admit he was wrong looks like.  We don't need another one.

This is semantics. Besides, Bernie has supported adjustments as well.

Sanders’ allies have specifically highlighted Biden’s past use of the term “adjustments” — a word they say was deployed as a euphemism for cuts.

Yet Sanders himself used the word in an election-year opinion article about Social Security that ran in The Burlington Free Press in 1996.

“As our population ages,” Sanders wrote, “it is clear that we will have to make incremental adjustments in Social Security taxes and benefits — as Congress has done in the past.”

At the time, the primary legislative fixes to Social Security financing had increased taxes and cut benefits. That includes a major 1983 bill signed into law by Reagan that came as the program was on the brink of insolvency. It raised taxes on working families, froze benefit increases for six months and gradually raised the age at which retirees can receive full benefits from 65 to 67.

During a 1999 press conference, Sanders went further, praising the 1983 law as a good example of people coming together to enact a solution without draconian changes.

“We should remember that in 1982, Social Security was within a few months — a few months — of not being able to pay out all benefits owed to Americans,” Sanders said at the time. “And then people came together and said of course we want to save Social Security. They worked together, and they did.”

The problem with this new line of attack about honesty is if our two choices are Biden and Trump and one is going to vote on who they think is more honest, I'm pretty confident who they're going to pick.

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

I dunno man. 

Do you choose the person who is a known liar and revels in his lies or do you choose the one who is a known liar and tells you he's not lying?  That's the choice people are going to give me, I'll choose neither.

Then you'll be in the minority group of folks who choose to be Bernie-or-busters. That's your choice to make and I won't fault you for it.

But no way is that my choice. Realistically, politicians lie all the time. I'd prefer one who lies as little as possible. In that sense, Bernie would be good. But if it's Biden v. Trump, I've found Biden to lie about mostly inconsequential stuff and generally a lot less than Trump. Which would be an improvement. And I agree with his ideas far more than Trump. And he's an adult. He's not proudly ignorant. He will have competent people around him and listen to experts.

In a lot of ways it's about mentality of voters. "Biden is better, incrementalism is better than regressing" vs. "Biden isn't good enough." I am in the former camp.

• Plus1 2