The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Booker isn't progressive. He's a typical corporate Dem but with better charisma and a shorter, less high profile career than Hillary.

As each of the Dem candidates comes out in favor of various progressive ideas and policies, it'll be interesting to see which ones backtrack and how quickly. For example, Kamala Harris came out in strong support of Medicare-for-All and then backed away within days:

Hmm maybe a "donation" from big pharma and insurance companies.  And TheSker wonders why the government is corrupt.  Its corrupted by the same people he defends when it comes to paying taxes.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That’s a huge problem. I’ll do the same. But we shouldn’t have to lower the bar.

I'm not lowering the bar.  I'm just not ready to concern myself with trying to figure out who, among the current Democratic candidates, is more progressive/liberal than the next at this point.  Especially considering there are surely more candidates that will announce a run at 2020.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not lowering the bar.  I'm just not ready to concern myself with trying to figure out who, among the current Democratic candidates, is more progressive/liberal than the next at this point.  Especially considering there are surely more candidates that will announce a run at 2020.

I’m not saying that specific thing (progressive enough) is lowering the bar. I’m saying voting for a dead person is. We’re willing to vote for anyone as long as they’re not as bad as Trump. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m not saying that specific thing (progressive enough) is lowering the bar. I’m saying voting for a dead person is. We’re willing to vote for anyone as long as they’re not as bad as Trump. 

For as awful as Trump is, voting for anyone not as bad as him is raising the bar.  Not lowering it.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would vote for a corpse over Trump so Booker being progressive enough is irrelevant to me at this point.

You've got the timing of this all backwards. How Booker or any candidate in the Dem primary stacks up against the other candidates is what matters for now. Voting for that candidate over Trump doesn't happen until the general election - after the primaries.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

What labels each candidate gets doesn't matter nearly as much as what policies they're promoting and supporting.

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I did hear Booker come out in favor of nuclear power lately as a way of continuing to transition away from fossil fuels.

I don't know if that's considered progressive, as some progressives are anti-nuclear, but it makes a lot of sense. It's a good policy on his part, IMO.

Nuclear power isn't going to work. It's WAY too expensive for one thing, and it just shifts the problems from greenhouse gases to safe operation and storage of radioactive isotopes for thousands of years.

Wind and PV are already price competitive with natural gas and much cheaper than coal or oil. Energy storage is the only hurdle to replacing all fossil fuels with renewable sources, and battery prices are decreasing exponentially just like PV prices did. The current projection is for batteries to become lower cost than fuel in vehicles in the next few years and in the grid it's already happening.

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You've got the timing of this all backwards. How Booker or any candidate in the Dem primary stacks up against the other candidates is what matters for now. Voting for that candidate over Trump doesn't happen until the general election - after the primaries.

What labels each candidate gets doesn't matter nearly as much as what policies they're promoting and supporting.

I don't have anything backwards.  I know I am voting for the Democratic nominee against Trump no matter what.  Who I support leading up to the final Democratic presidential nominee is yet to be determined because I know not all that plan to run have announced yet so I am waiting to see who is all in the race. 

Unless Amy Klobuchar announces and then my decision is made.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't have anything backwards.  I know I am voting for the Democratic nominee against Trump no matter what.  Who I support leading up to the final Democratic presidential nominee is yet to be determined because I know not all that plan to run have announced yet so I am waiting to see who is all in the race. 

I see. Your post seemed to imply that you didn't care about the Dem candidates or the Dem primaries.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

SP  - I don't know much about Amy.  You have mentioned here previously - what do you like about her?