The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I hope so, since as it is now, people in low pop areas are overrepresented in every area of national politics. 

...and people in low population (rural) areas feel that urban concentration (high density) areas don't represent their views...

but, I was wondering whether it would start a National effort to repeal/reform the electoral college?

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

...and people in low population (rural) areas feel that urban concentration (high density) areas don't represent their views...

but, I was wondering whether it would start a National effort to repeal/reform the electoral college?

Which is not entirely relevant in a country where the majority rules.

But, having said that, I think the majority has an obligation to respect the views of the minority. Just because they are the majority doesn't mean no other people exist, or have legitimate needs.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

People in low pop areas are overrepresented in politics.

I’m not sure what your reply is about. Why should people in another area represent a different area’s views? They have their own representatives for that — more than they should.

I’m saying I hope it happens.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But, having said that, I think the majority has an obligation to respect the views of the minority. Just because they are the majority doesn't mean no other people exist, or have legitimate needs.

Which is why the senate exists; to help make sure that happens.

They shouldn’t also be overrepresented in the House and the presidency.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That is the conundrum of democracy.  

Majority vote wins elections, but you then expect those candidates to look out for everyone including the minorities.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is the conundrum of democracy.  

Majority vote wins elections, but you then expect those candidates to look out for everyone including the minorities.

It wasn't until I moved to a city larger than a million people that I realized that rural America is a minority, and although they often gripe about minorities, they expect a similar kind of special attention and treatment that they attribute to other minorities.

40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Anybody watch the Bernie Sanders townhall?

I thought he was great and has the same fire as last time. I was worried he'd maybe try to pivot on some issues, but nope - same Bernie.

I don't like what he said about football stadiums and football coaches :lol:

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Democrats are shifting even further left and progressive this cycle. and I think that will hinder Bernie’s chances to win the democratic nomination. 

The only two true progressives are Sanders and Warren, so if this is the case, it should help one of those two. 

• Plus1 1