The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe our cities would ultimately settle down to somewhat normal if Biden wins. 

If trump wins, it stays the same or worse. 

I believe The majority of people are realizing that. 

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I have the same pulse on the majority thinking that cities don't get burned when a black person is shot by a police officer if Biden is elected. My take there is that's just going to be a thing now no matter who is president. The question is whether or not cities will crack down on it.

Does Trump potentially exacerbate the issue? Now I can buy that, totally. I wouldn't disagree with that.

Where I do feel I have a good sense of the opinion of the majority of Americans - completely regardless of their race - is that they don't want their communities burned down. They don't want their corner shops destroyed for a supposed good cause. Hopefully we're not afraid to just plainly say that.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

White fear.

Wanting your community to be safe is a pressing issue right now, and it should be a discussion that is held irrespective of race.

I'll try to take an analytical approach to speaking to your (surprisingly brief) response of 'white fear': There is currently roughly a 4.55:1 ratio of non-latino whites to blacks in the U.S. So in terms of voter population, whether it's irrational or not, both parties want to figure out how to capitalize on the narrative.

I posed this question last night and I'll pose it again - and I'm stating again for the record this seriously isn't a trick question or bating: If a national poll was taken right now on who would be tougher on crime between Biden & Trump, who do you think wins out in that poll?

This speaks to original comment of the supposed similarities drawn between Donnie & D!ck Nixon.

35 minutes ago, Undone said:

Wanting your community to be safe is a pressing issue right now, and it should be a discussion that is held irrespective of race.

I'll try to take an analytical approach to speaking to your (surprisingly brief) response of 'white fear': There is currently roughly a 4.55:1 ratio of non-latino whites to blacks in the U.S. So in terms of voter population, whether it's irrational or not, both parties want to figure out how to capitalize on the narrative.

I posed this question last night and I'll pose it again - and I'm stating again for the record this seriously isn't a trick question or bating: If a national poll was taken right now on who would be tougher on crime between Biden & Trump, who do you think wins out in that poll?

This speaks to original comment of the supposed similarities drawn between Donnie & D!ck Nixon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump win that poll.  But neither Trump or Biden is responsible for being "tough on crime".  That's up to city police, county sheriffs, and state patrols.  Trump talks a "tougher" game though, and sadly that is partly what's fueling this crime we're seeing during what could and should be peaceful protests.

Biden may not talk a tougher game, but I truly believe his talking points would take on a more calming tone and probably be much more effective in ending these protests.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I don't know who would win the poll.

However, I firmly believe Trump's tough guy attitude is stoking the fires to keep the protests going.  So, in that effort, he is making the entire issue that much worse.

Biden has come out multiple times denouncing the rioting and violence.  However, he does it in a calmer and less confrontational manner which I believe will go farther to ending the riots.

We do not live in a police state where the government can just come crack down on people protesting just because the tough guy at the top wants them to.  That's not how America works.

That is the ONLY solution Trump has and I feel every time he opens his flap about being tough on them.....it only stokes their anger more.

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump win that poll.  But neither Trump or Biden is responsible for being "tough on crime".  That's up to city police, county sheriffs, and state patrols.  Trump talks a "tougher" game though, and sadly that is partly what's fueling this crime we're seeing during what could and should be peaceful protests.

Biden may not talk a tougher game, but I truly believe his talking points would take on a more calming tone and probably be much more effective in ending these protests.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Totally agree with you that it's up to local police to enforce the rule of law and ultimately curb violence as soon as possible when it occurs.

The main impetus for the riots, burning, and destruction of property is people being angry about police brutality. We see people all over during these riots saying 'Fu[k 12' and now we're even seeing broad "death to police" narratives. And I think most Americans see that fighting violence with violence isn't justified and it doesn't actually sway people to become more sympathetic to the idea that police brutality exists - it does the opposite.

Some of this is now rabbit trailing away from the general election discussion I suppose.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We do not live in a police state where the government can just come crack down on people protesting just because the tough guy at the top wants them to.  That's not how America works.

That is the ONLY solution Trump has and I feel every time he opens his flap about being tough on them.....it only stokes their anger more.

Totally agree, and as a Libertarian I have a really strong antennae for this kind of central overreach. But at the same time I strongly believe in non-aggression; so when a random group of angry people (who apparently now covertly even bring guns to the riots) show up to enact wanton, indiscriminate destruction to property & lives and local police don't show up quickly & swiftly to deter it, something is wrong.

There's probably a wide array of opinion on this forum about whether or not local police in these areas are or aren't doing enough, or are/aren't showing up quickly enough to deter it. That's probably a discussion to be had in one of the other threads in this sub, I realize.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Well I made it brief because I already agree with what you've stated above.  Trump would have won the tough on crime poll six months ago, and now he will benefit from the anarchy in the streets narrative, because even though it is on his watch, it's a pretty easy linkage to the extreme left and the enabling liberals, and a really convenient way to dismiss the whole civil rights and police brutality issue. Biden has had lots of pressure from his own party to apologize for authoring the 1996 crime bill, which he now needs to either hold up as evidence he's not soft on crime, or dismiss in a nuanced conversation about the evolution of criminal justice theory over the last 25 years, and we know how sexy that would be. A lot of white people don't want to believe they're racist or gullible, but they are easily motivated to protect order and privilege. Much more quietly, Donald Trump issued an assurance to suburban white women that he would prevent low income housing (negroes!) from moving into their neighborhoods. It's 1955 again. It's a solid strategy but depressing as hell. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well I made it brief because I already agree with what you've stated above.  Trump would have won the tough on crime poll six months ago, and now he will benefit from the anarchy in the streets narrative, because even though it is on his watch, it's a pretty easy linkage to the extreme left and the enabling liberals, and a really convenient way to dismiss the whole civil rights and police brutality issue. Biden has had lots of pressure from his own party to apologize for authoring the 1996 crime bill, which he now needs to either hold up as evidence he's not soft on crime, or dismiss in a nuanced conversation about the evolution of criminal justice theory over the last 25 years, and we know how sexy that would be. A lot of white people don't want to believe they're racist or gullible, but they are easily motivated to protect order and privilege. Much more quietly, Donald Trump issued an assurance to suburban white women that he would prevent low income housing (negroes!) from moving into their neighborhoods. It's 1955 again. It's a solid strategy but depressing as hell. 

Great post.

I'd be interested in dissecting this part more, but maybe just not in this thread:

"A lot of white people don't want to believe they're racist or gullible, but they are easily motivated to protect order and privilege."

Agreed that people don't want to believe they're racist. This is probably where nuance comes into play though and it's more complex than that (but again, might be going off-topic from the thread). I believe that that overwhelming majority of Americans - I'm seriously talking like 95%+ - who watched the George Floyd killing thought something along the lines of "that's one of the worst things I've ever seen caught on tape." I know I did.

So while Trump is good at playing to his base (which is just, like, the basics of playing politics), there is a bit of a collision on some of these narratives I think we need to be careful about. Again, meaning that the overwhelming of Americans (in my opinion at least) would say that Floyd's killing was senseless but also don't think their communities should be burned. And I'd probably also argue that this is true across races, really.

Amendment 25 article 4 anyone??    Twitter on fire about Trump dragging his right foot in the video below.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/514583-trump-denies-mini-strokes-sent-him-to-walter-reed

President Trump on Tuesday denied that he made an emergency visit to the hospital last year after suffering "a series of mini-strokes" after a new book claimed that Vice President Pence was on standby in the event Trump was incapacitated.

The president's denial raised eyebrows, as the book from New York Times correspondent Michael Schmidt did not specifically state that Trump had suffered from a series of small strokes.

"It never ends! Now they are trying to say that your favorite President, me, went to Walter Reed Medical Center, having suffered a series of mini-strokes. Never happened to THIS candidate FAKE NEWS," Trump tweeted, before insinuating that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden may have dealt with health issues.

Schmidt reported in his new book that Pence was told to be on standby to assume presidential powers last November in the event the president had to be anesthetized during a previously unscheduled visit to Walter Reed Medical Center.

Drudge Report has it on top

image.thumb.png.0fda8565055fcd86e72e6fe1f731b8e9.png

13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

What part of "violence is wrong" was hard for you to understand?

The part where violence was right and urged on by the Ds; until they noticed Biden's poll lead was narrowing. 

One of many appalling examples of D leaders rabble rousing and whipping up the mob in favor of dangerous encounters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJCDe7vdFfw

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The part where violence was right and urged on by the Ds; until they noticed Biden's poll lead was narrowing. 

One of many appalling examples of D leaders rabble rousing and whipping up the mob in favor of dangerous encounters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJCDe7vdFfw

Come on, man. Protesting is a 1A right.

Find me an actual clip of Dems urging violence and I'll tell you it's wrong. Go on.

I can find you clips yesterday of the president defending the Kenosha shooter and saying he's fine with his supporters paintballing others as "a defensive maneuver."

• Plus1 1

This whole interview as broken down in this tweet thread is very enlightening (multiple tweets besides those 2 below).  And to think this president questions Biden's mental faculties.  There is something really wrong with this guy when you listed to the full interview.  He is full of one conspiracy theory after another, claims he's done more for African Americans than any other president and even including Lincoln - it is at the heights of delusional thinking - grandiose thinking about self (narcissistic) while also believing conspiracies - mentally he is a brick short of a full load.    

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Come on, man. Protesting is a 1A right.

Find me an actual clip of Dems urging violence and I'll tell you it's wrong. Go on.

She's talking about threatening people in restaurants and department stores.  That's not protesting that's harassment.  Fox runs montages of Ds saying it every night.  You thought mobs acting dangerously was fine and dandy as long as it was politically useful.  Now you know it is not.  And you may soon find out the rioters aren't necessarily in the loop either.  I'm not sure the powers that be can make the Portland burners to stand down for Biden. 

• Plus1 2