The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean, there's pretty compelling evidence that a good chunk ofTrump wing of the party is pretty culty (not that you fall into this bucket).

This type of stuff is incredibly worrisome.

I saw that from Tom. Maybe it is my Midwest location, where we seem to shy away from extremism, but even my most ardent Repub friends see (and call out) all the BS that has been occurring. When they say they favor what Trump has done, it is more about secure borders/immigration, "the economy" and the makeup of Supreme Court.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Not sure if an endorsement from the guy who bungled the Flint water crisis, corruptly tried to cover it up and left office with a <40% approval is the endorsement Biden was looking for. But I can't presume to speak for MI Republicans. If Snyder helps peel off a few old-school non-Trump Republicans here I'll take it.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I saw that from Tom. Maybe it is my Midwest location, where we seem to shy away from extremism, but even my most ardent Repub friends see (and call out) all the BS that has been occurring. When they say they favor what Trump has done, it is more about secure borders/immigration, "the economy" and the makeup of Supreme Court.

I can respect ideological differences. I often find arguments for Trump misguided from my point of view, but if we just feel differently about issues, that's one thing and I can deal with it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Republicans are increasingly believers in conspiracy theories like this QAnon crap. That worries me, because it does suggest inability to separate basic fact from fiction, which is a critical thinking skill I think we should want in everyone, irrespective of politics.

• Plus1 5

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I can't for the life of me figure out why Republicans are increasingly believers in conspiracy theories like this QAnon crap. That worries me, because it does suggest inability to separate basic fact from fiction, which is a critical thinking skill I think we should want in everyone, irrespective of politics.

I think we're going to see in the coming years how specific and aggressive the foreign misinformation campaigns have become after the Cambridge Analytica stuff. They understand who to go after, they have a direct conduit to these people via social media (largely Facebook) and they hit them with this stuff, in volume and with great frequency.  At some point this stuff starts to seep in. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I think we're going to see in the coming years how specific and aggressive the foreign misinformation campaigns have become after the Cambridge Analytica stuff. They understand who to go after, they have a direct conduit to these people via social media (largely Facebook) and they hit them with this stuff, in volume and with great frequency.  At some point this stuff starts to seep in. 

And Zuckerberg looks the other way as his platform pollutes the minds of our population and damages our democracy because...

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean, the economy discussion is one I'm willing to have with Trump supporters. I would actually prefer that they just tell us they support him because of this issue or that issue, rather than engaging in the angry, vitriolic culture war BS that whips so many of them up into a frenzy.

Trump was good for some aspects of the economy. But it's not like he was unusually good or he took something that was bad and made it good (or great again, as he would say). This is what many of his supporters seem to believe. If you go back and look at the polling, the vast majority of Republicans believed the economy under Obama was awful and it suddenly, sharply reversed under Trump. This is apparently a trend depending on who's in the White House.

rnyvexe00eobafxqvlquwq.png

aoewzudcckuqqamegj4mpa.png

But as you can see below, Trump did not have any magic effect on the economy. He merely continued a VERY durable trend.

maddison-data-gdp-per-capita-in-2011us-e

Also there is a lot of idiots out there that think, Stock Market = Economy. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

with my above alteration, I could agree

I don’t know if it should be altered at this point. I never really understood loyalty to a political party in the first place, but non cultists should not be willing to associate with the Republican party right now. At the very least the non cultists should be taking a break from the party. 

I used to just blame the leaders but I’ve changed my mind. 

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

And Zuckerberg looks the other way as his platform pollutes the minds of our population and damages our democracy because...

giphy.gif

It's starting to resemble the end game of "Silicon Valley" the HBO show.

Spoiler

They have this amazingly powerful tech, but realize while it would make them all millionaires, it would lead to the end of the world. Thus needed to be destroyed. That show was another Mike Judge masterpiece.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who knew that licking the boots of dictators all over the world and being a global embarrassment would be "strength abroad".  :dunno

Which foreign king did Trump bow to?

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean, the economy discussion is one I'm willing to have with Trump supporters. I would actually prefer that they just tell us they support him because of this issue or that issue, rather than engaging in the angry, vitriolic culture war BS that whips so many of them up into a frenzy.

Trump was good for some aspects of the economy. But it's not like he was unusually good or he took something that was bad and made it good (or great again, as he would say). This is what many of his supporters seem to believe. If you go back and look at the polling, the vast majority of Republicans believed the economy under Obama was awful and it suddenly, sharply reversed under Trump. This is apparently a trend depending on who's in the White House.

rnyvexe00eobafxqvlquwq.png

aoewzudcckuqqamegj4mpa.png

But as you can see below, Trump did not have any magic effect on the economy. He merely continued a VERY durable trend.

maddison-data-gdp-per-capita-in-2011us-e

No the trend started after Trump won in 2016.  Before that Obama lackeys were telling us about the "new normal" of 8% unemployment.  Small to medium business caught fire when they realized they would get at least 4 years relief from 'you didn't build that.'  

Obama came in during the pits of a recession that Bush had already stopped.  Most of Barry's achievements were keeping his hands off of the Bush protocols and watching country right itself without getting too involved. The exception is Obamacare, which no D has ever cited as a success. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

No the trend started after Trump won in 2016.  Before that Obama lackeys were telling us about the "new normal" of 8% unemployment.  Small to medium business caught fire when they realized they would get at least 4 years relief from 'you didn't build that.' 

Obama came in during the pits of a recession that Bush had already stopped.  Most of Barry's achievements were keeping his hands off of the Bush protocols and watching country right itself without getting too involved. The exception is Obamacare, which no D has ever cited as a success. 

If you can support any of this with data, knock yourself out.

Otherwise this is so far from reality I don't even see the point in engaging.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

it's worth repeating

• Plus1 4