Have we really become more sensitive?

I bet there are people that read The Onion just so they can be offended and complain about insensitivity.

That's no different than the guy reading a message board just so they can complain about people they think are being too sensitive.

Guess what you just did :)

The Donald thought Django was racist.

When you ask about "racial comedies," are you talking about comedies that deal with race and racism, like Blazing Saddles (where the Black Guy is the hero despite overt racism and eventually wins the town over, much like Django is eventually empowered in Django Unchained), or are you talking about movies that just have racial stereotypes as hollow characters, like the Japanese racers in Better Off Dead?

Also, Better Off Dead is an excellent movie. :thumbs

I would say more so comedies that deal with race and racism. I think race is too sensitive of a subject, especially when a large majority of the movie centers around making jokes about a particular one. There's tons of slavery jokes and the like in the movie, pretty sure some people would be upset by that (even when it's satire).

i wonder where weekend at bernies would be considered? very offensive?

The 20-29 year old crowd finds it offensive...because at the start of the movie the guys are working on the weekend. They would never go for that now. Ha

Freak out from some posters in...3...2...1

• Fire 1

I think "PC culture" is probably more pervasive than in the past because of the internet, social media and current media formats. Plus, I think it's become popular to ridicule people you disagree with or seek justification for your opinions because we have a variety of platforms to do so. There are a lot of people, both good and bad, who could've stayed in relative obscurity (alongside their opinions) 10-15 years ago. Now, particularly in America, I think it's more common than ever to have a voice and a way to share it.

The other thing that helps support the PC culture is that society practically demands action - we say one thing out of turn or do one thing that could be construed as offensive and we're practically forced to apologize for it. In some ways, it's a lot like this "fake news" movement. It's become a fun punching bag for people who dislike what they see in the media, particularly thanks to the president.

The most important thing to keep in mind (IMO) is that it's OK to be offended by things. It's OK for something to rub you the wrong way or upset you; but, I think it's critical to reflect before taking action. Is it worth talking about? Are you just being petty? Will action help solve a problem or serve selfish objectives?

The 20-29 year old crowd finds it offensive...because at the start of the movie the guys are working on the weekend. They would never go for that now. Ha

As someone who had a meeting this week an a discussion came up on how to handle employees in this group...

I found this funny.

As someone who had a meeting this week an a discussion came up on how to handle employees in this group...

Ha! I have a few on my staff and man...sometimes they crack me up!

I found this funny.

I think society has definitely become more accepting, and that's great. But, sometimes that acceptance borders on over-sensitivity.

Can you give some examples of where acceptance has gone too far?

I would say what has transpired at UC-Berkley over the last year would be an example. From not letting white people cross bridges to rioting in the streets. Granted, I could understand the anger that having some of those speakers come to campus would cause, but it was taken too far when normal college students, who might not even support the ultra-conservative opinion, cant cross the bridge into campus.

That's not an example of over-sensitivity, that's an example of criminal behavior from asshat protesters. We've got dozens & dozens of examples from all political spectrums, all parts of the country, over the past year, and this kind of behavior has been going on for decades at universities.

It's also a stark contrast to the active barring of colored people from voting that's been going on the past year, often due to local governments writing restrictive laws.

• Fire 1

I think society has definitely become more accepting, and that's great. But, sometimes that acceptance borders on over-sensitivity.

I would say what has transpired at UC-Berkley over the last year would be an example. From not letting white people cross bridges to rioting in the streets. Granted, I could understand the anger that having some of those speakers come to campus would cause, but it was taken too far when normal college students, who might not even support the ultra-conservative opinion, cant cross the bridge into campus.

Good examples, but are those really under the title of classic "intolerance"? Because those cases are clearly the opposite of acceptance.

Great examples!