2017 NBA Finals - Cavs vs. Warriors

2017 NBA Finals  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's my guess at what happens:

Cleveland gets a little energy (and probably some calls) and wins Game 3 so they don't get swept. The GS wins games 4 & 5 to finish them off.

I could this as well

GS is just loaded. If Steph and KD are resting on the bench you have Thompson and Green on the court or vice versa. Plus add in Livingston and Iguodala

This is a pretty interesting (and at times funny) take on the NBA playoffs this year; specifically, why some believe they're so boring. An "open letter" to Kevin Durant.

I really hate this type of article (the open letter format) but that's irrelevant.

If I see one more analyst point to a piece of lint in front of you and claim it’s a hurdle, I’m going to get physically ill. Your coach couldn’t sit on the bench? Come on. You had to learn to “coexist” on the floor with Curry … I mean, really? This is like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett figuring out how to split the dinner check. It’s not adversity; it’s accounting.
  • Fire 1

I used to think the Warriors were a good thing for the sport, but I'm more conflicted about that statement now. I've never been overly interested in basketball (I find the game unenjoyable at its core) but if you're going to try to hook me (the casual fan) then you need to have real adversity.

A 14-0 playoff team who is in a good position to go undefeated is incredibly "blegh" to the average fan.

I don't really think the problem is the Warriors. At least not directly.

The problem is (most) of the rest of the NBA has devolved into a one-on-one game, just alternating who gets to have the ball. The Spurs actually play basketball. The last few years, the Warriors have figured out how to actually play basketball. I think the Rockets are on that path, just without as many really good players.

At least as far as the Spurs and Warriors go, it's doesn't seem like it should be too hard to figure out that the teams that actually play basketball are pretty good. The problem is the rest of the league is stuck in the mud. So if you don't have a LeBron to bail you out a lot, you're in trouble. And even LeBron couldn't get them to the best record in an average Eastern Conference and - by the looks of it - being much in the way of competitive in the Finals.

Other than the Xs and Os, the issue in the NBA - and MLB for that matter - is the lack of a hard salary cap. That allows the stock piling of stars on a couple teams using exceptions and those stars taking a slight pay cut to make it work. That leads to a small handful of teams being able to load up while most teams are just out there for fun - assuming they're not tanking to try to get a better draft pick. The hard cap in the NFL spreads the talent around more (though that's not a perfect comparison because of the significant different in roster spots).

If people don't like the Warriors dominating, they could do something about it other than bitch. I'm personally not a big fan of the soft salary cap in the NBA, but I am a fan of the incredible unselfishness, team basketball, and chemistry amongst very different personalities that Steve Kerr has harnessed. That team still won a championship and then went 73-9 without Kevin Durant.

The NBA's biggest benefit and biggest curse is it's superstar focus. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James - no other major sports league has as much of a focus on the individuals, and when you have all-time legendary individuals playing it's great, but when you don't, it's boring as hell because you have a bunch of wannabes still playing iso ball but without the ability.

And to anyone who wants to talk sh#t about Kevin Durant, do you think he cares? He's one of the top 3 people in the world at his profession, and he wants to win and enjoy his career. I'm sure he's loving life right now, and with good reason. I doubt the anonymous online opinion of Bob with a beer gut really keeps him up at night.

If people don't like the Warriors dominating, they could do something about it other than bitch.

They're fans - in their defense, there's nothing else they can do. ;)

The NBA's biggest benefit and biggest curse is it's superstar focus. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James - no other major sports league has as much of a focus on the individuals, and when you have all-time legendary individuals playing it's great, but when you don't, it's boring as hell because you have a bunch of wannabes still playing iso ball but without the ability.

I agree about the power of the individual, but we have all time legendary greats playing right now. Do you mean there's a problem with individual greatness across the board?

If people don't like the Warriors dominating, they could do something about it other than bitch.

They're fans - in their defense, there's nothing else they can do. ;)

I agree about the power of the individual, but we have all time legendary greats playing right now. Do you mean there's a problem with individual greatness across the board?

No, individual greatness is great. I'm saying that the NBA hitches it's wagon and it's marketing and strategy wagon to individual greatness and when that's lacking, or when someone bucks the trend and does something that can be better (Spurs and Warriors), it's 'bad' for the league but the league made it's bed.

Boiling it down, here's what I keep hearing: One team is really good at offense and the other team isn't very good at defense. That gets you two 20 point blowouts.

Both teams are really good on offense, #1 and #2-3. The Warriors defense doesn't get enough acclaim, probably because it is overshadowed by their firepower on offense. But they are the #1-2 defense in the league, depending on metrics! The entire team is invested, superstars like Klay and KD and Draymond 100% buying in and busting it while they are on the floor. I don't remember seeing this lockdown D from KD before. Even shooting 37% for the playoffs and going 3-16 in Game 1, Klay is instrumental on D; Kerr mentioned how important he is being able to guard LeBron and switch off onto Kyrie, which is unbelievable. It is pretty great to watch.

• Fire 1

Boiling it down, here's what I keep hearing: One team is really good at offense and the other team isn't very good at defense. That gets you two 20 point blowouts.

Both teams are really good on offense, #1 and #2-3. The Warriors defense doesn't get enough acclaim, probably because it is overshadowed by their firepower on offense. But they are the #1-2 defense in the league, depending on metrics! The entire team is invested, superstars like Klay and KD and Draymond 100% buying in and busting it while they are on the floor. I don't remember seeing this lockdown D from KD before. Even shooting 37% for the playoffs and going 3-16 in Game 1, Klay is instrumental on D; Kerr mentioned how important he is being able to guard LeBron and switch off onto Kyrie, which is unbelievable. It is pretty great to watch.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the teams weren't good on the other side of the ball, just that that's where the big discrepancy is. GS is #1 in Offensive Efficiency and Cleveland is #2 (like you said), but GS is also #1 in Defensive Efficiency while Cleveland is #21.

I wish I was more interested in the NBA because I think I'd like to watch GS play more. And I usually watch more come playoff time. But there are just very few interesting games that I can't get fired up to watch. I usually check in online but if it's a 20 point game I find other things to do.

• Fire 1

I don't watch much, if at all, until the Conference Finals. I have really enjoyed watching GSW in these two games. It has been amazing basketball on both ends. For Cleveland to have a shot, I think LeBron has to be more engaged on D and try to hold Durant. I don't think he can and still have energy to do what he does on O; he led the league in minutes I believe.

I don't watch much, if at all, until the Conference Finals. I have really enjoyed watching GSW in these two games. It has been amazing basketball on both ends. For Cleveland to have a shot, I think LeBron has to be more engaged on D and try to hold Durant. I don't think he can and still have energy to do what he does on O; he led the league in minutes I believe.

I also agree with your statement

I'm not much into the NBA but I have really enjoyed watching the last two games as well. Playing great defense and their shooting, my it's a joy to watch. Can't wait to watch the game tomorrow while enjoying a Summer Shandy