Puerto Rico

On 9/12/2018 at 7:22 AM, Clifford Franklin said:

This guy is just so weird. Can't resist self-promotion but had to get some swipes in at Puerto Rico as well.

And if you go to Houston today, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone middle class or lower who had any positive words to say about the Federal Government's response. Texas citizens from all over the state, especially Houston citizens, brought boats and trucks and helped each other out more than FEMA ever did. 

Well, save for the more prominent "Christians" in Houston, at any rate. To be fair, once the spotlight was firmly on him, Joel did finally start offering shelter and quit worrying about his McMansion, but it's sad it took public shaming for this "Christian" to provide charity. 

Conversely, a certain furniture store owner was one of the more prominent saviors of Hurricane Harvey victims.

• Plus1 3

On 9/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, knapplc said:

Yep. GREAT response there, Donnie Moscow.

I am not here to defend anyone, especially not Trump, but resource management and the moving of supplies can be very hard to coordinate. There are non profits trying to tackle this issue but there are many times where resources are not used because of bad communications or the resource itself really isn't needed (i am not saying that water wasn't needed at the time). The lack of plans before the natural disaster, multiple NGOs and government organizations, and little to no communication and power can lead to resources not being used. Also, sometimes the resources are in an area were they are not easy to transport to locations that need them. 

31 minutes ago, jaws said:

I am not here to defend anyone, especially not Trump, but resource management and the moving of supplies can be very hard to coordinate. There are non profits trying to tackle this issue but there are many times where resources are not used because of bad communications or the resource itself really isn't needed (i am not saying that water wasn't needed at the time). The lack of plans before the natural disaster, multiple NGOs and government organizations, and little to no communication and power can lead to resources not being used. Also, sometimes the resources are in an area were they are not easy to transport to locations that need them. 

Puerto Rico is the outlier, not the norm.  No other natural disaster in recent American history has had a response like this.

And Trump is on record as disdaining "shithole countries," the populations of which are strikingly similar to that of Puerto Rico.

I suppose we could presume it's just a logistical issue.  Or we could look at the plain evidence of Trump's own words.  The blame can certainly be shared, but Trump has damned himself on things like this.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Puerto Rico is the outlier, not the norm.  No other natural disaster in recent American history has had a response like this.

And Trump is on record as disdaining "shithole countries," the populations of which are strikingly similar to that of Puerto Rico.

I suppose we could presume it's just a logistical issue.  Or we could look at the plain evidence of Trump's own words.  The blame can certainly be shared, but Trump has damned himself on things like this.

No other disaster in my lifetime, have I ever known the President to go visit, sit down with the local leaders and start the dialogue with...."you know, you've already cost us a lot of money".

That right there indicates his mind set as to helping these people and how he values their lives.

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You are right, PR is an outlier. They are an island that is 1,000 miles from the US mainland. Disaster response is difficult in a place like that. That does not mean the US should not be responsible to provide assistance. It is just harder to do it there than in Houston, New Orleans, or the Carolinas. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, jaws said:

You are right, PR is an outlier. They are an island that is 1,000 miles from the US mainland. Disaster response is difficult in a place like that. That does not mean the US should not be responsible to provide assistance. It is just harder to do it there than in Houston, New Orleans, or the Carolinas. 

Being far away is no excuse to turn your back on a US territory.

This is why there is an entire branch of government dedicated to this type of thing.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Being far away is no excuse to turn your back on a US territory.

This is why there is an entire branch of government dedicated to this type of thing.

I already said the US government should be responsible. I just said it is harder.

I am not defending anything Trump has said or did (or didn't do). I am just trying to provide context to unused resources.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It is not more difficult.  They MADE it more difficult.  Top it off with the president getting into a pissing contest with local authorities and it became impossible.

I am not saying the US government didn't make it more difficult. However, the location does make it more difficult than a natural disaster on the US mainland.