The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

20 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm too lazy to look any further but according to random s#!t I just read, if Trump or Barr were impeached right now the law states the Senate would have to prioritize that over a supreme court vote. Pelosi is "considering" it. It's time for the Democrats to play hardball.

This is part of why I view the Democrats as spineless. They'll never truly stand up to the abuse of power that the Republicans have exhibited. You can call it "taking the high road", but the fact of the matter is one party uses their power however they see fit and the other one kind of sits idly by. It seems like it would be very easy for the Dems to use their power and delay this SCOTUS nomination into next year but that won't happen.

I've been watching The Simpsons lately, specifically season 5 which started in 1993. I can't remember the gag exactly but a Republican gathering and Democrat gathering are briefly shown back to back with banners stating "we are just plain evil" and "we can't govern" respectively. I feel it rings true 27 years later. One party hates all of us and the other couldn't help us even if they wanted to.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

This is part of why I view the Democrats as spineless. They'll never truly stand up to the abuse of power that the Republicans have exhibited. You can call it "taking the high road", but the fact of the matter is one party uses their power however they see fit and the other one kind of sits idly by. It seems like it would be very easy for the Dems to use their power and delay this SCOTUS nomination into next year but that won't happen.

I've been watching The Simpsons lately, specifically season 5 which started in 1993. I can't remember the gag exactly but a Republican gathering and Democrat gathering are briefly shown back to back with banners stating "we are just plain evil" and "we can't govern" respectively. I feel it rings true 27 years later. One party hates all of us and the other couldn't help us even if they wanted to.

It's hard to argue against this take.  I also feel like the D's taking the "high road" will get them nowhere.  I fear it may be a sad reality in today's world.  Didn't they learn anything from 2016?  

I've always felt R's are dirty, sneaky and crooked, while the D's are too lazy or complacent to do anything about it.  I think it's partially why there is no liberal equal to the powerful conservative propaganda machine.  Not even close to one IMO.  

Alito and Thomas, two of the original dissenters in Obergefell v. Hodges, the landmark civil rights case giving same-sex couples the ability to marry by a 5-4 decision featuring two people who are no longer on the Court, licking their chops at the possibility of overturning the decision.

It is not clear to me that Roberts would want to overturn such a major case so recently and risk marring the opinion of his Court so quickly into his tenure as Chief Justice, but it's also absolutely valid for same-sex Americans to feel their freedoms are at risk right now.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is why I'm firmly in favor of the Democrats packing the court if they win the Senate.

Enough kowtowing to the minority party. They've manipulated American politics for too long.

Evan has a very good point.....  as usual.  Why in the world can't the GOP elect common sense guys like him.   Yea, we can answer that question - the GOP has moved from common sense a long time ago to a cult.  May it rest in peace.