The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

The Republicans have declared all-out war against liberalism. From the day Obama was elected when they held their "obstruct everything" meeting, to the dozens of attacks on the ACA to the blocking of Gorsuch to the perpetuation of the Electoral College to everything they've bowed & scraped to with Trump, to packing the lower courts and now this Supreme Court nomination, they've swamped their way to win after win.

In just the manner that most Conservatives claim they hate, through political manipulation, back-door deals and the like. 

They're forcing the liberals to go to even greater lengths simply to succeed as the majority party. 

So when there are 11 or 13 justices on the Supreme Court, and when DC and Puerto Rico are states, they can blame themselves. 

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

So Trump's probable pick belongs to a Catholic Cult where Men are referred to as "Head" and woman as "Handmaids". Men are encouraged to do the physical work and woman the cooking and childcare. That's not concerning at all.

That might have been a little disingenuous... Thanks for the Wiki link.

Might also check out https://peopleofpraise.org/ 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Well, from your own Wiki... it is not strictly Catholic, the females are not called handmaids, women are encouraged to go to college and get a job etc

Well from your own website "peopleofpraise.org". 

"The most recent TRS, in December of 2012, focused on the roles of men as heads: personal heads of other men, heads of their wives and leaders of men’s groups."

"Phil Monaco (Corvallis) spoke about men’s groups in the broad context of a society where intermediate associations are disintegrating and there are few vehicles for passing on wisdom about ordinary life and raising families. Men’s groups, by contrast, play an impor- tant role as training grounds in basic Christian living. Men’s groups are task forces for accomplishing community projects and other apostolic activities."

"The People of Praise has both men and women leaders. For many years, we referred to some of our women leaders as handmaids" - 2018

Maybe if they don't call their woman handmaids they should scrub their website of the many instances they call their woman handmaids.

And maybe I'm sensitive on the subject but I have a young daughter and the thought of someone with a major influence on how she will live her life, believes Men are the "Heads of their Wives" and Woman are "Handmaids" and those groups are separated and expected to serve different roles in their communities - well its a little concerning. 

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Well from your own website "peopleofpraise.org". 

"The most recent TRS, in December of 2012, focused on the roles of men as heads: personal heads of other men, heads of their wives and leaders of men’s groups."

"Phil Monaco (Corvallis) spoke about men’s groups in the broad context of a society where intermediate associations are disintegrating and there are few vehicles for passing on wisdom about ordinary life and raising families. Men’s groups, by contrast, play an impor- tant role as training grounds in basic Christian living. Men’s groups are task forces for accomplishing community projects and other apostolic activities."

"The People of Praise has both men and women leaders. For many years, we referred to some of our women leaders as handmaids" - 2018

Maybe if they don't call their woman handmaids they should scrub their website of the many instances they call their woman handmaids.

And maybe I'm sensitive on the subject but I have a young daughter and the thought of someone with a major influence on how she will live her life, believes Men are the "Heads of their Wives" and Woman are "Handmaids" and those groups are separated and expected to serve different roles in their communities - well its a little concerning. 

Exactly. image.png.76fd046fd0fa564baf4163ac1cc53d3b.png

55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People of Praise seems culty enough without quibbling over semantics.

Sure, it is culty.  But, I'm fine with getting it straight what the group really is.

Again...if she's part of a group that believes the women should stay at home and cook and clean, how does she have the career she has and about to be nominated for the top court of the land?  

Pretty amazing career for a woman who should just stay home.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure, it is culty.  But, I'm fine with getting it straight what the group really is.

Again...if she's part of a group that believes the women should stay at home and cook and clean, how does she have the career she has and about to be nominated for the top court of the land?  

Pretty amazing career for a woman who should just stay home.

I don't think anyone said she couldn't have a career and had to stay at home. From what I read Woman are encouraged to have careers. The roles are in reference to the home/family/community dynamic. Men = Head, Woman = Handmaid - these groups are separated and tackle different goals within their community. I don't think any of this would be an issue, if it wasn't obvious it would bleed into her position as a supreme court justice.  Hell she said so herself, “legal career is but a means to an end. . . and that end is building the kingdom of God." 

For someone who's job it is to uphold the constitution, I have little confidence she will be able to separate church and state.

• Plus1 1