Benning on Banker

I wasn't here in 2007 and didn't join the board until late 2008, but the rhetoric around here (particularly after the 2009 season) was that the program had a ton of talent and Callahan just couldn't coach to that talent's potential.

So, it's super interesting to hear that people were saying the "cupboards were bare" when Pelini took over. We certainly had depth issues in some areas, and our 2009 offense left a lot to be desired, but it's intriguing nonetheless how those conversations can change over time.

I wasn't here in 2007 and didn't join the board until late 2008, but the rhetoric around here (particularly after the 2009 season) was that the program had a ton of talent and Callahan just couldn't coach to that talent's potential.

So, it's super interesting to hear that people were saying the "cupboards were bare" when Pelini took over. We certainly had depth issues in some areas, and our 2009 offense left a lot to be desired, but it's intriguing nonetheless how those conversations can change over time.

I posted here occasionally around that time, and while it was used here, it was super common to see it on the recruiting boards. It came up all the time on the scout boards.

Enhance...when a new coach comes in (unless that new coach was Zombie Devany) the fans have to start with built in excuses for that coach right away. The easy one is "cupboards are bare" It not only makes it seem like the new coach was left with nothing but small, slow walk-on's from Coltonberg NE and Dirksville Ne but it also gives a nice parting shot to the last coach.

For Riley, his first season turned out so amazing bad (maybe unlucky too) that other things needed to be used as well: Tanking, Toxic, Mind controlled by Bo, still in contact with ex-coaches that were bagging on new staff and so on.

That is why this year is great. There are no more lame excuses left. Riley has made all the right moves (great movie) after his rough start.

Toxic, Mind controlled by Bo

Judging from the original article, it might not have been voodoo brainwashing by Bo, like some claim. Rather, the lack of buy-in might have been more from Banker not having his sh#t together, and possibly a couple of other staff members as well.

• Fire 2

The bare cupboards argument definitely existed when Pelini first got here. It wasn't until he started producing elite results with Callahan's players that it started to change a lot.

Same with the arguments about how stupid and incompetent Pelini was and that any scrub could win 9 games with our roster/schedule. You don't hear that much these days.

• Fire 3

The bare cupboards argument definitely existed when Pelini first got here. It wasn't until he started producing elite results with Callahan's players that it started to change a lot.

Same with the arguments about how stupid and incompetent Pelini was and that any scrub could win 9 games with our roster/schedule. You don't hear that much these days.

Yup. And it happened with BC too.

"Oh, Solich didn't care about recruiting, just wait until Coach Callahan gets his guys in here"

It drove the majority of the talk on the Rivals/Scout/247 recruiting forums during that time.

Judging from the original article, it might not have been voodoo brainwashing by Bo, like some claim. Rather, the lack of buy-in might have been more from Banker not having his sh#t together, and possibly a couple of other staff members as well.

And it's weird that a lot of this thread still took the time to bash Gerry. I am not saying Gerry was perfect as a Husker or a teammate. But, these players aren't stupid. If Banker and his staff didn't have their crap together, that blame goes to the coaches

Also, looking back at Riley's defensive staff that first year at NU, it is becoming more and more of a clusterf*ck. Hughes, Banker, and Stewart are all fired/gone. That's 3/4 of the defensive staff from the first year. Yet, the blame was put on guys like Collins, Valentine, Banderas, and Gerry for doing their own thing. It's probably more of crappy coaches having a crappy defensive plan.

• Fire 5

And it's weird that a lot of this thread still took the time to bash Gerry. I am not saying Gerry was perfect as a Husker or a teammate. But, these players aren't stupid. If Banker and his staff didn't have their crap together, that blame goes to the coaches

Also, looking back at Riley's defensive staff that first year at NU, it is becoming more and more of a clusterf*ck. Hughes, Banker, and Stewart are all fired/gone. That's 3/4 of the defensive staff from the first year. Yet, the blame was put on guys like Collins, Valentine, Banderas, and Gerry for doing their own thing. It's probably more of crappy coaches having a crappy defensive plan.

Yes, defensively Banker didn't work out. Kinda why he is gone now. That doesn't change that Gerry was a prima dona.

That's because you're forgetting the biggest point. If we don't like the coach, everything is 100% the coaches fault and nothing should be blamed on the players. If we like the coach, we have to go out of our way to blame everything on the players.

• Fire 1

That's because you're forgetting the biggest point. If we don't like the coach, everything is 100% the coaches fault and nothing should be blamed on the players. If we like the coach, we have to go out of our way to blame everything on the players.

This is so true!

I think it comes down to people trying to conceptually rationalize something they don't have an intricate understanding of. I'd be the first to say I think Husker fans, person to person, are smarter or just as smart than any other sports fan base in the world. But, at the same time, we're often slow to admit just how much we don't know.

It's like we have our own version of coach speak. Coaches give players all the credit when things go well, and try to take all the blame when things go badly. We take a similar approach to explaining why things don't go well. Fault/blame is usually somewhere in the middle.

Yup. And it happened with BC too.

"Oh, Solich didn't care about recruiting, just wait until Coach Callahan gets his guys in here"

It drove the majority of the talk on the Rivals/Scout/247 recruiting forums during that time.

247 didn't exist back then. :P

BC could recruit and did nothing with them. Bo was so so at it but still had us in the mix most years. Riley seems to be getting the right coaches in for recruiting but can they coach? The next two years should tell us, no matter how tough the 2018 season looks to be. Riley I think just needs to keep us in games and out of the beat downs we have had and he might get to stick around till he wants to step down.

I was back in Lincoln last week and talking to people around town, know one is expecting much this year. I hope their wrong.......

GBR!!!