Fall Camp Updates - Quarterbacks

I couldn't find the Camp Update thread for the Quarterbacks, so mods can put this there.

It looks like Gebbia is pressing O'Brien for the #2 QB job. That's very interesting to me, as I think Gebbia has the biggest upside of the QB's. He may not be assured of a redshirt season, after all.

Edited by Enhance89
It doesn't look like there is one. I updated the thread title accordingly.
  • Fire 4

From the Fall News thread.

Sam McKewon's take on POB from Aug. 4th. Pay particular attention to the bolded.

Quarterbacks: Lee has been excellent. Patrick O’Brien has to keep his footwork and mechanics tight; I saw a few tosses off his back foot, which made the ball sail. My read: O’Brien is perhaps a hair off his precision from late in the spring. Tristan Gebbia has savvy and, because he’s pretty slight, some athleticism outside the pocket that’s interesting. Gebbia puts his whole body into throwing deep out and corner routes. Andrew Bunch, an emergency quarterback, looks more than capable of throwing a pass in case someone loses his helmet.

OWH

Regardless of what it says about Gebbia (I do find it promising about him), it's definitely a read between the lines situation with POB. Something isn't right there. He should be pushing hard for #1, not struggling to keep the back-up job. Especially because I don't think Gebbia will be ready physically.

DL trying to light a fire under POB.

The plan is to redshirt Gebbia regardless....he needs to put on 30-40 lbs this offseason.

He'd snap like a twig versus B1G defenses.

That is a lot of weight, for a guy with his build that is probably not on until his Jr year. But I have a feeling that Gebbia has "it". Coaching as long as I have (and being really bad at it) I have found that some guys just have "it" their passes that get tipped get caught by another WR instead of getting picked off...the pass that looked just short of the line turns out to be a first down. It is hard to explain but some guys just have it.

Today's comments to the media are probably in an effort to light a fire under POB's ass, but the coaches better hope it doesn't piss him off and he decides to transfer. If he were to transfer he would need to do it soon, so he can get to a school, sit out this season, and compete for a job in 2018.

if someone has to light a fire under POB, then he just doesn't have the right stuff.........if he walks, he walks. you compete and get better or you suck eggs and ride the pine.

Today's comments to the media are probably in an effort to light a fire under POB's ass, but the coaches better hope it doesn't piss him off and he decides to transfer. If he were to transfer he would need to do it soon, so he can get to a school, sit out this season, and compete for a job in 2018.

if someone has to light a fire under POB, then he just doesn't have the right stuff.........if he walks, he walks. you compete and get better or you suck eggs and ride the pine.

I see your point, but I also see why POB would be pissed and not trying very hard in practice.

1. Was told during recruiting he would have a chance at competing against Armstrong. That didn't happen.

2. Riley brings in Lee as a transfer late in the '16 cycle, when POB had been committed to NU for a long time.

3. Lee "wins" the job in Spring. I'm not saying it wasn't a true competition, but you know that Lee had a huge leg up being a 5th year junior. Riley wants that experience.

4. POB is now backup, and probably not getting many reps.

Gebbia looks slim like Detmer (Ty and Koy). Both played at less than 190. Both were pretty solid passing QB's. Both were 6'0 so he is taller.

The reality is unless our OL steps up big time, we stand a good chance of seeing all 3 play this year.

I'm hoping they are trying to light a fire under POB and that he's not "slipping". BUT, is there even talk he's slacked up? A competitor doesn't need someone to light a fire. They're already holding the matches......