Oregon State

Mike Riley doubters frequently point to the fact he was a .500 coach while at Oregon State, and this means he will always be a.500 coach. Gary Andersen (Remember the guy who destroyed us when we were ranked 10th?)  took over a 5 - 7 Oregon State football squad and has proceeded to be .25 at Oregon State.  Does this change your perspective on Mike Riley's record at OSU? This is Andersens 3rd year with OSU and he has his own guys, but they just started out with a blowout loss to Colorado State. 

• Plus1 3

It's sort of the same argument some people had with Bo about how easy/difficult it was to win nine games at Nebraska. I've had several debates on this board with people who have said Riley's fluctuating and underwhelming record at OSU is an excuse and that a good coach would've won there.

As with most things, it's rarely that black and white.

2 hours ago, LAblackshirt said:

Mike Riley doubters frequently point to the fact he was a .500 coach while at Oregon State, and this means he will always be a.500 coach. Gary Andersen (Remember the guy who destroyed us when we were ranked 10th?)  took over a 5 - 7 Oregon State football squad and has proceeded to be .25 at Oregon State.  Does this change your perspective on Mike Riley's record at OSU? This is Andersens 3rd year with OSU and he has his own guys, but they just started out with a blowout loss to Colorado State. 

Yep, all you hear from the Riley haters here in Oregon is crickets.  

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, teachercd said:

OSU was left as bare as NU...

But its Anderson's 3rd year there. Is he now responsible or is MR responsible? We want to hold MR accountable for our results this year so I would say fair is fair.....that's GA's team now. And I haven't looked specifically at what MR left behind at OSU but based on his recruiting here compared to Bo, I feel pretty comfortable saying he left the best players OSU could possibly sign in the cupboard. I can not say the same about Pelini. Adjusted for the schools involved, pretty safe to say what MR inherited was worse than what GA got to start with. Now, having said that, it still remains to be proven if MR can actually get the desired results here. That question will be answered over the course of the next few months.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

But its Anderson's 3rd year there. Is he now responsible or is MR responsible? We want to hold MR accountable for our results this year so I would say fair is fair.....that's GA's team now. And I haven't looked specifically at what MR left behind at OSU but based on his recruiting here compared to Bo, I feel pretty comfortable saying he left the best players OSU could possibly sign in the cupboard. I can not say the same about Pelini. Adjusted for the schools involved, pretty safe to say what MR inherited was worse than what GA got to start with. Now, having said that, it still remains to be proven if MR can actually get the desired results here. That question will be answered over the course of the next few months.

Well, his QB is going to likely start for Florida next weekend and one of his linebackers started for Alabama two seasons ago.   Your miles may vary on the bareness of that cupboard.  

6 hours ago, LAblackshirt said:

Absolutely not

2 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Well, his QB is going to likely start for Florida next weekend and one of his linebackers started for Alabama two seasons ago.   Your miles may vary on the bareness of that cupboard.  

Well I'm confused....so is it Riley's fault he recruited players that were obviously above the standard OSU pay grade and they left to play at actual football schools? Or it's his fault that some players were willing to play for him but not Anderson. I'm struggling if you're trying to place the blame on MR for guys he signed but have subsequently left the program.

5 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Well I'm confused....so is it Riley's fault he recruited players that were obviously above the standard OSU pay grade and they left to play at actual football schools? Or it's his fault that some players were willing to play for him but not Anderson. I'm struggling if you're trying to place the blame on MR for guys he signed but have subsequently left the program.

I'm not placing blame on MR at all.  I'm placing blame on Andersen.  When MR left, the QB (Jack Del Rio's kid) was told there wasn't room for him.  A lot of kids left because Andersen told them there wasn't room for them.  The LB had already graduated and and chose not to play for Andersen.

A lot of fans here in Oregon talk about how Riley left the cupboard bare.  That obviously wasn't the case.  There were players here that moved onto starting positions on SEC teams.   

• Plus1 4