Ed Cunningham Abruptly Resigns From ESPN

knapplc

8 minutes ago, 307husker said:

With all of the new information about brain injury, I think we will see more and more of these situations.  I, personally, am for the first time in my 40 years a little uneasy that the sport I enjoy so very much, causes such a significant amount of damage to its participants.

I do not have any sons, but I'm quite convinced I would heavily discourage participation in football if I did.  I know that there are a lot more people making that decision today than even 5-10 years ago.  Where will this lead football in another couple of decades?  

I think we have seen/are seeing the golden era of American football and it will decline quickly in the near future.

I have a son who is a senior and plays both football and basketball.  He has played football all through school...but, he truly loves basketball.  If he would have come to me late summer and said he didn't want to go out for football, I wouldn't have tried to convince him otherwise.  

To me, it's not necessarily concussion issues.  At his level of high school football, I really don't think it's that big of an issue.  To me, it's the chance of blowing out a knee and missing his senior season of the sport he loves.

But...when you live in a small town, you go out for both.  There are a few that don't.  But....that's just a few.

As for the future of the game.  Fans need to be embracing new rules to make it safer instead of claiming...."Their making football a game of wussies."

I heard a month ago he was gone from ESPN, I guess he "resigned."  Head trauma stuff is getting a little old.  I would like to see data from the new equipment and new protocols that they now use in football.  I won't miss him.  I thought he was annoying and spent more time grandstanding than actually covering the game.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, 307husker said:

With all of the new information about brain injury, I think we will see more and more of these situations.  I, personally, am for the first time in my 40 years a little uneasy that the sport I enjoy so very much, causes such a significant amount of damage to its participants.

I do not have any sons, but I'm quite convinced I would heavily discourage participation in football if I did.  I know that there are a lot more people making that decision today than even 5-10 years ago.  Where will this lead football in another couple of decades?  

I think we have seen/are seeing the golden era of American football and it will decline quickly in the near future.

I have a 10 year old son.  He is in his 3rd year of tackle football.  I was nervous for him to play at first but the more I am involved the more i realize that head injuries aren't all that common at a young age in football.  I think soccer and hockey may have more in youth sports. 

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't mind Beth Mowins. I think she knows more about the games than a lot of people who do broadcasts.  Her voice is "meh," but at least she knows what she's talking about.

I am with on this one, I have never understood the hate for Mowins or Pam Ward.  It must just be the fact they are women calling a mans sport.  

On the Ed Cunningham thing, I think it is fine if he is taking a stand, but as you said he should have done it a long time ago, not when his stockbroker told him is portfolio was doing ok.  

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I have a 10 year old son.  He is in his 3rd year of tackle football.  I was nervous for him to play at first but the more I am involved the more i realize that head injuries aren't all that common at a young age in football.  I think soccer and hockey may have more in youth sports. 

Yes, there are more concussions in youth soccer and hockey, but the numerous, small impacts to the head that youth football has is what concerns me most about the sport.

Now, my 11 year old has shown no interest in playing football (prefers baseball and others), but I have seen plenty of youth football practices while I have been walking around the sports complexes during my son's soccer practices.  These "coaches" try to have the toughest practices ever, because that's what they think should be done.  I have seen kids go through 30 minutes of constant hitting and one on one tackling drills in an effort to get the kids "tough".  I understand that tackling and blocking are important to football, but I don't think it needs to be done over and over again in practices.  IMO, There could be uses of tackling dummies or learning technique against coaches with pads.  It's funny because I think the youth football practices are far more physical than you will see at the high school, college, or pro level, because the youth football practices aren't as closely monitored and regulated as they are at the upper levels.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, there are more concussions in youth soccer and hockey, but the numerous, small impacts to the head that youth football has is what concerns me most about the sport.

Now, my 11 year old has shown no interest in playing football (prefers baseball and others), but I have seen plenty of youth football practices while I have been walking around the sports complexes during my son's soccer practices.  These "coaches" try to have the toughest practices ever, because that's what they think should be done.  I have seen kids go through 30 minutes of constant hitting and one on one tackling drills in an effort to get the kids "tough".  I understand that tackling and blocking are important to football, but I don't think it needs to be done over and over again in practices.  IMO, There could be uses of tackling dummies or learning technique against coaches with pads.  It's funny because I think the youth football practices are far more physical than you will see at the high school, college, or pro level, because the youth football practices aren't as closely monitored and regulated as they are at the upper levels.

I'm not sure what the rules are where you are from, but where my son plays they are only allowed 30 minutes of contact in a 2 hour practice.  Plus, the force of impact between the kids isn't too great at this age.  It's a lot more falling down than getting knocked down.  

• Plus1 1