Ed Cunningham Abruptly Resigns From ESPN

knapplc

7 minutes ago, Malth said:

The CTE revelations are pretty recent. Considering that virtually all players college and above who have since passed away and were tested had developed this should cause alarm for anyone.

Fixed for accuracy.

It was noted in more than one article when that story came out a month or two ago that it is only some fraction of all players that were checked.  And it's extremely probable that people who had a reason to suspect some sort of brain issue (behavioral changes observed, etc.) would be much more likely to have a person tested than those who didn't have any reason to suspect something was wrong.

That's not to minimize the issue.  But you original statement was sensationalized.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Malth said:

The CTE revelations are pretty recent. Considering that virtually all players college and above are developing this should cause alarm for anyone.

CTE isn't  a recent phenomenon, study of it isn't recent, and Ed's knowledge of it isn't recent. CTE studies date back nearly a century. Player suicides directly linked to CTE date back over a decade. Let's not cloak Ed in some aura of cutting edge learning.

13 hours ago, Football Guy Bob said:

Didn't mind him, but his high horse tangent during the 2010 Okie State game is still cringeworthy.

That hit ended Eric Hudson's football career.  He did not play anymore after that.  It was vicious and it was totally unneccessary.  It was away from the play and had absolutely no effect on the results of the play.  Eric Martin served a one game suspension which Nebraska fans crabbed about.  Hudson had his whole world turned upside down.  While Cunningham is certainly not my favorite, he was right on the money in this case.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, drfish said:

That hit ended Eric Hudson's football career.  He did not play anymore after that.  It was vicious and it was totally unneccessary.  It was away from the play and had absolutely no effect on the results of the play.  Eric Martin served a one game suspension which Nebraska fans crabbed about.  Hudson had his whole world turned upside down.  While Cunningham is certainly not my favorite, he was right on the money in this case.

Well said. I to this day don't understand people defending Martin on this play. Even to the point of arguing that it wasn't helmet to helmet. If you watch it slow mo and you still think it wasn't, you're letting your Husker bias get the better of you. He speared him directly in the facemask.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Well, they probably were.

And him being right to complain about Martin's hit was only 'cause he complains about every hit, so it was bound to happen at least once.

Someone should do a montage of his worst calls....could call it Cunningham's Greatest Hits. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Cunninghma's commentary on that Martin hit was just part of a perfect storm of angst against Husker fans that year. We were sure the Big XII was deliberately out to get us.

True. And NU wasn't good enough to completely rise above it too. But local media have hinted that Cunningham's crusade in that game got Eric Martin suspended.

Also, you'll never convince me in a million years that the Texas A&M game wasn't influenced by the conference.

• Plus1 3

Ed was (and still is) way off base on this.   I remain convinced that football is simply not that dangerous.  Yes it is a violent sport in some cases.  But given that it is violent, still a very large majority of players will live their whole lives with no ill effects of whatever mild brain injury they may or may not have incurred.   One cannot help but draw some conclusions from their own experiences even though anecdotal evidence is the worst kind. But since Ed brought up his friend as an anecdotal story, I will talk about me and my family.   I played organized football for two years in Jr. High, lettered all four years in High School and played one season of college NCAA Div. II football.  I also played Rugby and was involved in a major car crash.  Now I can tell you for sure that I have had two moderate to severe concussions.  One was a knee to the head in Rugby.  The other was when I was a passenger in a car that lost control going over 100 mph, and rolled multiple times.  However, not one time in football did I ever receive a blow to the head severe enough to cause an injury.  I was a two way starter who made all conference and played running back as well. 

There are positive aspects of the game which far outweigh the negatives for me.  It builds a high level of physical conditioning and mental toughness that will serve the athletes all through their lives.  It helps provide for strong cardiovascular systems during critical growth periods of children's lives.  It provides a huge participation opportunity, as schools feel obliged to provide equipment and facilities for teams that often number 35-70 players.   AND it is FUN and provided life long memories.

At some level I think all this new "information" about head injuries is being brought about by people who are trying to make a name for themselves in the research field.

My dad is 65 years old, played football, rodeo, was in the Army and he is sharper now than I am. And he lost his father at age 13 and if anyone in the world would have a reason to be depressed or moody it would be him.  But no.  He is rock.  Grow up people, football is not that bad.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, 307husker said:

With all of the new information about brain injury, I think we will see more and more of these situations.  I, personally, am for the first time in my 40 years a little uneasy that the sport I enjoy so very much, causes such a significant amount of damage to its participants.

I do not have any sons, but I'm quite convinced I would heavily discourage participation in football if I did.  I know that there are a lot more people making that decision today than even 5-10 years ago.  Where will this lead football in another couple of decades?  

I think we have seen/are seeing the golden era of American football and it will decline quickly in the near future.

Agreed. I have a 6 year old son who towers over his classmates and would probably excel at football someday. He's already been told there's no way he's going to be playing tackle football.

I have a ton of respect for what Cunningham has done here. Turning your back on fame and money takes a lot of guts and conviction. After seeing so many former teammates and friends suffer, he has simply seen enough. 

People can raise awareness about the dangers of playing football without making an ass of themselves. Ed turned every situation about him and turned it into The Ed Cunningham Show.

We're all concerned about the health of the people who play the sport we love. We can show that concern without becoming jerks about it. Ed couldn't do that, and rightfully retired.

• Plus1 6
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People can raise awareness about the dangers of playing football without making an ass of themselves. Ed turned every situation about him and turned it into The Ed Cunningham Show.

We're all concerned about the health of the people who play the sport we love. We can show that concern without becoming jerks about it. Ed couldn't do that, and rightfully retired.

Well put.

Honestly, looking back and knowing now what he has come out and said, his comments make sense.  He has struggled internally about this for a long time.  When he would be doing play by play, his internal thoughts would just spew out without him actually thinking about what he was saying.

It's good he has stepped away from the game.  It was clear he couldn't be logical anymore in his comments during games.

I played tackle football from 4th grade through my Freshman year of college.  I played both ways in every game from except in college.  I was a pretty aggressive player and was the leading tackler on my team 2 years in a row in HS.

I have never had a concussion.   This is my experience.  We also had a kid on my HS team when I was a senior that probably had 3-4 concussions in that year alone.  It was a different time, 1983.  Now he would have been done for the season and that is the right call.  Some people are prone to getting concussions and some aren't.    

48 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Agreed. I have a 6 year old son who towers over his classmates and would probably excel at football someday. He's already been told there's no way he's going to be playing tackle football.

I have a ton of respect for what Cunningham has done here. Turning your back on fame and money takes a lot of guts and conviction. After seeing so many former teammates and friends suffer, he has simply seen enough. 

Basically you are anti-football then.  It is your business what you do with your son, but keep in mind holding him out of football could actually do more harm than good.  What other sport will you put him in then which will build as much strength, cardiovascular health, bone density, balance, agility, mental toughness, and provide enjoyment for his life?

Someday if he is drafted into the armed services, or decides to become an officer of the peace, what other sport will have provided useful background in physical contact, posture, and agility to help save his life?

I believe it is a mistake to not allow you children to play football because the CTE data.  I would have been really ticked not to be allowed to play a sport that I am gifted to play.  I played all the way through college.  Again, with new protocols, new equipment, and new rules, the game is as safe as it has been.  I ask people not to be so short sided with their own kids.  If you think football is too dangerous, please don't let them do any sports, it can happen in almost any sport.  Even our VB girls have gotten them.  Also please don't let them Ice Skate, Roller Skate, skate board, ride a horse or even get in a car.  These are also activities I have seen our kids get concussions.  Please don't be so short sided.  If you don't allow your kid to play football, then please stop watching the game altogether.  It makes you a hypocrite.  

• Plus1 1