Ed Cunningham Abruptly Resigns From ESPN

knapplc

Just now, NUinID said:

It depends on what type of league you play in, the league my son played in you couldn't run the ball if you were over 119lbs.   This is 5th and 6th grade football.  You had to switch out players every 5 minutes.  Could not play an odd front defense with a man directly over the center.  

I guess you could play with fewer players, but then you might as well play flag football.   I think it is funny you bring up creating more space.  I watch a lot of bunch ball soccer with my kids.    

I agree that bunch ball soccer is terrible.  I have seen it plenty of times.  That's mainly due to most kids not understanding the true concepts of the game and knowing to move away from the ball and the kid with the ball not knowing that he should actually pass to his teammates.  The idea of limiting the number of kids on the soccer field is to create more space for the good coaches to move the kids into that space and the skilled players to take advantage of that space.

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

This is a strong move by Ed. I know he's not our favorite commentator, but this is about more than his bad commenting of Nebraska football. Bravo.

Totally agree.  Also I don't even really hate the guy like a lot of Nebraska fans apparently do.  How many people would resign for this reason?  Kudos.

California has lost over 6 thousand players in the last two years.  Several schools are pulling out due to lack of interest.  Kids still playing sports, but moving on to other sports.  Our loved game is in trouble, not today, tomorrow, but by the time your grand kids are thinking about playing it may not be around.  I would hate to see it happen

48 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that bunch ball soccer is terrible.  I have seen it plenty of times.  That's mainly due to most kids not understanding the true concepts of the game and knowing to move away from the ball and the kid with the ball not knowing that he should actually pass to his teammates.  The idea of limiting the number of kids on the soccer field is to create more space for the good coaches to move the kids into that space and the skilled players to take advantage of that space.

The worst head injury I ever saw live was a HS girl's soccer game.  She was out of sports for 3 months.  I thought she was dead.  Like I say, girl's soccer is catching up with FB with head injuries.

The debate about football at a young age isn't even so much about the kids getting hurt from contact it is really more about the horrible horrible horrible coaching.

I can share horror stories!

I had one a-hole assistant that was forced on my staff...this Dbag one time got mad at a kid in a drill for not "going hard' so his way of fixing it...he took the two biggest/best kids that were at his station...and he had those kids do a two on one drill on the smaller kid...to "teach him a lesson".  One of my asst coaches ran over to me and said "Dude, you have to come here and stop this"

This was a grown man...with a big law practice...wormed his way on the staff because his son was on the team and the school board basically said he could coach.

13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The debate about football at a young age isn't even so much about the kids getting hurt from contact it is really more about the horrible horrible horrible coaching.

I can share horror stories!

I had one a-hole assistant that was forced on my staff...this Dbag one time got mad at a kid in a drill for not "going hard' so his way of fixing it...he took the two biggest/best kids that were at his station...and he had those kids do a two on one drill on the smaller kid...to "teach him a lesson".  One of my asst coaches ran over to me and said "Dude, you have to come here and stop this"

This was a grown man...with a big law practice...wormed his way on the staff because his son was on the team and the school board basically said he could coach.

That is 99% of the problem with any kids activity/sport.  Parents and coaches that have no clue what they are doing trying to act like they do.....are end up being total idiots.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is 99% of the problem with any kids activity/sport.  Parents and coaches that have no clue what they are doing trying to act like they do.....are end up being total idiots.

Oh yeah, for sure!

It gets much better at the high school level.  The guys I coach with now are fantastic.  Great guys and great personalities.  Even though they have no experience at all they are great, I can teach people to coach, but I can't change some idiots mind about how much of a badass coach he should be.

I am very competitive person and enjoyed sports throughout my life on many levels (.08%) of high school football players will be drafted into the NFL. I think parents get all excited thinking little Timmy is going to be the next Tom Brady...8 year olds have nowhere near the knowledge to say they are okay with playing padded football at that age 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I am very competitive person and enjoyed sports throughout my life on many levels (.08%) of high school football players will be drafted into the NFL. I think parents get all excited thinking little Timmy is going to be the next Tom Brady...

"My son is okay with playing" To me an 8 year old doesn't have anywhere near the knowledge to make that decision. That is on the parents who should know all the circumstances. I'm not saying kids who play that young have bad parents, but to say your son chose that path is kinda silly to me. Offensively the only kids who matter in ages that young are the ones who are faster than all the others. Pitch them the ball and watch them hit the corner. TD

THE ONLY WAY TIMMY IS SCORING THAT TD IS IF MY SON'S BEST FRIEND IS SEALING THE CORNER AND MY SON PANCAKES THE OLB WHEN HE'S PULLING FROM HIS GUARD POSITION!!!  THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE LEARNING IN PRACTICE!!

• Plus1 1

Seems fishy to me...  I wouldn't be surprised if he was being asked to resign and used this crutch to paint it in his favor.  

As far as the dangers to the game?  We let our kids do all kinds of crazy things beyond football.  Up to each parent imo.  Guessing most of us on here played and are just fine today.  

• Plus1 4