Fire Cavanaugh

The commonality in all of this is Riley.  He brought the get along gang with him to NU from OSU....Read, Banker and Hughes (not OSU) have all been let go.  Stewart left on his own.  This is year 3 with their guys.  Their guy at QB and system.  Last year it was the BS excuse of injuries to the OL, while Cav refused to play the younger guys.  His recruits, his pipeline.  In this game, Lee gets beat like he stole from Riley and not one guy is replaced on the OL.  When Farniok was in last week, I said he was better than Knevel.  My bad.  He was so absent, I thought they'd need to send a search party, yet Cav did nothing to find a way to help.  Nothing......If I'm a second string guy, and the guy in front of me is playing like a$$, I'm pissed...

So yea, Cav needs to be fired.  He is as incompetent as Langs is.  It is as if Langs, Cav and Riley have no clue to slow up a D.  Do traps, counters, limited PA....How about more I Formation, two back sets, use the TE's to block.  They can't catch....We've all complained about the same crap for 3 years...No commitment to power running, no rotation on OL, suspect play calling etc.....

If we want to see a difference, start a thread about firing all the staff.  Unsure how many should stay......and that's really a problem in year 3...And every year a team gets a new staff and doesn't half half the problems we do in year 3 i.e. Penalties, clock management etc....

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

The commonality in all of this is Riley.  He brought the get along gang with him to NU from OSU....Read, Banker and Hughes (not OSU) have all been let go.  Stewart left on his own.  This is year 3 with their guys.  Their guy at QB and system.  Last year it was the BS excuse of injuries to the OL, while Cav refused to play the younger guys.  His recruits, his pipeline.  In this game, Lee gets beat like he stole from Riley and not one guy is replaced on the OL.  When Farniok was in last week, I said he was better than Knevel.  My bad.  He was so absent, I thought they'd need to send a search party, yet Cav did nothing to find a way to help.  Nothing......If I'm a second string guy, and the guy in front of me is playing like a$$, I'm pissed...

So yea, Cav needs to be fired.  He is as incompetent as Langs is.  It is as if Langs, Cav and Riley have no clue to slow up a D.  Do traps, counters, limited PA....How about more I Formation, two back sets, use the TE's to block.  They can't catch....We've all complained about the same crap for 3 years...No commitment to power running, no rotation on OL, suspect play calling etc.....

If we want to see a difference, start a thread about firing all the staff.  Unsure how many should stay......and that's really a problem in year 3...And every year a team gets a new staff and doesn't half half the problems we do in year 3 i.e. Penalties, clock management etc....

What's even more frustrating is when they call an unnecessary time out or do something incredibly stupid. It's all smiles on the sidelines from Riley and his cronies.  Successful coaches rarely smile cause there never satisfied.  Riley never stops smiling so players feel like they don't need to right there mistakes.  

16 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Once NIU start3d to blitz and neb did nothing to counter it, Like running crossing or slant patterns. NIU turned up the heat even more. This why we can't win games easily.  We don't know how to adjust. Just keep running that same ole same ole. Btw tanner lee never looks off a WR. Dude is garbage 

This.  So much this.  Langs has the inability to counter an aggressive D.  He has no concept about using their aggressiveness against them.  Almost every OC will use counters, traps, delays, shuttle pass, misdirection etc to make them pay.  Not Langsbeckson..........

On 9/9/2017 at 7:34 PM, bnilhome said:

I guess I see it differently.  To me the O-line was a bright spot today, and most of the time Tanner had plenty of time to throw, AND they were opening holes for Bryant til he went out with an injury.  Our offensive issues really came down to Lee's poor throws.

I think the Oline did fairly good.  Lee doesn't see the open receivers.  He looks so nervous.  The 2nd interception when he just threw it up for grabs was a joke.  He should've been pulled then.

There were times more then once where Northern Illinois defenders got into the back field without being touched. The O-Lineman looked absolutely lost at times and it was embarrassing. You'd think after such an error they would bounce back and correct the problems, but it just kept happening. Just like the Tennessee game, only this time against Northern Illinois where the offensive line got embarrassed.

• Plus1 1

The O Line is the base of the pyramid.  You want to know why Wisconsin gets great running backs? Because they have a reputation for building amazing O Lines. The best Husker teams had great O Lines. 

Case in point:

When your running backs have to dodge defenders behind the line of scrimmage on 2/3 of their carries, you're going to suffer. 

But here's the weird thing.  We've had this problem for years and years.  Before Riley.  Before Pelini.  Rex Burkhead was slicker than a greased pig - and he had to be, because anyone who watched those games watched him make the first man miss as soon as he got the handoff time and time again.  Abdullah did the same thing.  So did Pork Chop.

In presidential politics there's a saying about what's the most important thing in getting reelected:  "It's the economy, stupid."

In football, "It's the Line, stupid." 

Bring me a coach who will commit to building a great offensive line and I'll show you a coach who'll last here a long time.  Doesn't matter if he's running the Option, Pro Style, Wishbone or Fun & Gun. 

• Plus1 2
On 9/9/2017 at 7:11 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Now 

I saw most of the game. I'm not a football coach or an expert in analyzing every play. I played football on the HS level only. What I did see was the O-line getting over manned on several plays especially on blitz packages . NIU has a good defense and a bad offense. Farniok got beat on more than one play. That caught my eye. I haven't looked at the game a second time because I did not DVR it. Started drinking too much out of stress.  Can someone explain why they think the O-line played ok.... Several drops by the receiving corp also contributed to the loss. It was a very bad offensive half to say the least. Lee is far from perfect, but he did get two rushing TD's due to pressure in the pocket. I feel bad for the guy. Lang's play calling is very suspect as well. EDIT: I saw several people earlier in this thread mention the O-line played ok.