Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

46 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Genuine question - do we know for a fact or have any evidence that this information was intentionally sat on until now?

I don't think the media probably sat on it - though it would seem like something they would usually ask about before now.

Now a more interesting question is doesn't the athletic department often announce such a thing?  If so, why didn't they this time.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think the media probably sat on it - though it would seem like something they would usually ask about before now.

Now a more interesting question is doesn't the athletic department often announce such a thing?  If so, why didn't they this time.

Agreed that it's very peculiar. I think there are a lot of questions that could be asked in that discussion. Did the AD consciously choose not to say anything? Was this designed to be a show of support from an area other than the AD? Or, was it simply a matter of a reporter finding out about some information, trying to reach a deadline and only being able to get in touch with the university president? Could all be true, could none be true?

5d-tinfoil-hat-.jpg

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Pretty easy to recruit with the following scholarship limits:

Devaney:  

No scholarship limits

Osborne:  

1973/1974 - 105 scholarship limit enacted

1978/1979 - 95 scholarship limit enacted

1992/1993 - 92 scholarship limit enacted (3 yr phase)

1994/1995 - 85 scholarship limit enacted (3 yr phase)

So, coaches that you say "knew how to recruit to Lincoln" actually could often times afford much more flexibility and could afford to take larger risks and developmental cases.  They could also take a larger overall pool of talent onto the team.

Most people don't realize that scholarship limits went into affect during Nebraska's championship run and it was probably responsible more for the downfall of Husker footballs talent than anything else.

One other thing that led to the downfall was partial qualifiers.  I read somewhere that one of our NC teams had 11 of them on it with I believe 8 of them starting or were major contributors.  If we're really being honest here, recruiting for everyone has changed drastically.  I saw a Switzer interview where he stated he really only recruited just a couple of areas.  Every program recruits considerably different than they did 25-30 years ago.  Programs can't take as many chances like in the past because of scholly limits.  We can't take as many chances as we did in the past because of conference limitations.