Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

I guess I am missing something. Was Riley directly asked this question during the presser, or why is this news now? Seems like clickbait after the weekend that was. I'll be the first to admit that I lost my cool and was calling for SE's head immediately. That was wrong, but I still believe that neither SE, nor MR, have done anything to warrant extensions through 2019/2020. I guess I understand the rationale from a recruiting standpoint with MR, I'll give you that but is anyone truly happy with what SE has done during his tenure here? 

• Plus1 2

he loses more than 7 games this season you can bet he'll be fired....but that isn't likely, the question is what about if he loses 7? what about 6?

do we wait another year? the answer is probably yes (depending on the way we lose- blow-ups vs close games etc)

After we're done paying Pelini all bets are off and a down year should be no worst than a 7-5 record and we better be going to the BIG championship game at least every other year

When I read some of the negative comments about his contract extension I have to really question the knowledge base of some of our fans.  Most of us KNOW that a contract has to be 4+ years or recruiting drops off drastically.  Even with the extension, hot seat talk really does take its toll on recruiting.  I believe that is why Bo struggled so much his last year or two.  When boosters and regents start calling for someones head, recruits run for more stable programs.  While I may not be "happy" with our teams results over the past couple years, I absolutely think we need stability to right the program.  The talent is starting to flow in again- I just really hope Riley can produce enough on the field to keep the wolves at bay long enough.  

• Plus1 1

whats funny is that in the win loss department struggling is defined as 9-3 or 9-4 especially if you've been here more than 3 years

I never agreed with firing a coach that had a winning season, but that seems to be "normal" these days- i.e. Georgia, LSU  NU x2 etc. if they are truly bad or just mediocre, wait for a losing season to fire them- I'd say this about Riley too

6 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

The funniest thing is that it barely means anything. Virtually every FBS head coach is on a 4-5 year contract, or longer. It's just so coaches can tell recruits they'll be there for a kid's whole career. If a coach does get fired, their buyout is more. That's the only other difference.

To summarize: If you love Riley, it doesn't really mean he will be at Nebraska any longer. If you hate Riley, it doesn't really mean he will be at Nebraska any shorter.

This, 100% this.  The extension is a nothingburger.

• Plus1 1