Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

As far as the timing, OWH says it happened "earlier this year".  The media just noticed it yesterday.

So the real question (to me at least) should be why this wasn't publicized when it happened?

Because someone 'leaked' to the press to look at the extension and publicize it in an effort to get ahead of other potential rumors coming out. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Contract extensions are for recruiting purposes.  It means nothing about the longevity of the coach.

Yep. Really means nothing. If he had gotten another 3 years and a raise yes that would be odd. This is one year for recruiting optics and nothing else. A losing season this year and next and he's gone regardless of contract, that I'm sure of

Yes, it may be for recruiting, but I don't think a recruit greatly focuses on if the coach has 3 or 4 years left in his contract.  The recruit knows that if Riley does well, he will stay.  If not, he will be fired.  The way we play will be way more significant to whether a recruit will want to come here.  What this does is limit our options and potentially cost us a lot of money.  

(I remember when this was done to protect someone from poaching our coach away.  That obviously is not an issue).

5 minutes ago, Dagerow said:

Yes, it may be for recruiting, but I don't think a recruit greatly focuses on if the coach has 3 or 4 years left in his contract.  The recruit knows that if Riley does well, he will stay.  If not, he will be fired.  The way we play will be way more significant to whether a recruit will want to come here.  What this does is limit our options and potentially cost us a lot of money.  

(I remember when this was done to protect someone from poaching our coach away.  That obviously is not an issue).

But other coaches know and use the contract length to negatively recruit. ("He's only got 2 years left on his contract. Are you sure you want to risk going there, or come here where I've got a 6 year contract in place!")

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

As much as I have been critical of Riley, the contract extension is not a big deal.  It's basically just the way business is done in college football.

Agree with this.

As with Miles, the bigger story would be if he didn't get anything.

Although it does seem a little odd to have the University President commenting about it instead of the AD.  But whatever.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

Agree with this.

As with Miles, the bigger story would be if he didn't get anything.

Although it does seem a little odd to have the University President commenting about it instead of the AD.  But whatever.

Yes, it is odd that Eichorst wasn't providing the info.  He must have been busy handing out books to all the coaches.

• Plus1 1