Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

When I read some of the negative comments about his contract extension I have to really question the knowledge base of some of our fans.  Most of us KNOW that a contract has to be 4+ years or recruiting drops off drastically.  Even with the extension, hot seat talk really does take its toll on recruiting.  I believe that is why Bo struggled so much his last year or two.  When boosters and regents start calling for someones head, recruits run for more stable programs.  While I may not be "happy" with our teams results over the past couple years, I absolutely think we need stability to right the program.  The talent is starting to flow in again- I just really hope Riley can produce enough on the field to keep the wolves at bay long enough.  

Bo struggled so much because Bo was 'Bo'.   His comments after the OSU game (the big comeback game), his antics almost weekly didn't endear parents to Bo as a coach.  He wasn't a great recruiter to begin with, add his personality/behavior issues on top of it - then we get the poor recruiting results.  He made his own bed as a result. 

I do hope the talent flow continues under MR but if we have poor seasons this year and next - we may have another contract to buy out to add to Bo's.   Good recruits are great to see  but he still has to produce on the field. 

55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But other coaches know and use the contract length to negatively recruit. ("He's only got 2 years left on his contract. Are you sure you want to risk going there, or come here where I've got a 6 year contract in place!")

Ok, so when we eventually hire Scott Frost, give him a 10 year contract to build the program:o

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Agree with this.

As with Miles, the bigger story would be if he didn't get anything.

Although it does seem a little odd to have the University President commenting about it instead of the AD.  But whatever.

Might be a show of support from someone other than the AD. I would wager SE is going to have MR's back to a fault and their PR department assumes that's how many fans view it, too.

Just now, Enhance said:

Might be a show of support from someone other than the AD. I would wager SE is going to have MR's back to a fault and their PR department assumes that's how many fans view it, too.

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that ADSE is in Riley's corner.  I just think it's odd that he wasn't the one to announce/answer questions about it.

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's going to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Huskerland if Frost someday says "no thanks" to a Husker HC offer. A lot of hopes tied to Frost.

I agree.  There are many reasons why Scott may say thanks but no thanks.  Just like any other good young coach, he has to be confident that NU is a good career move   and a place he can win a NC.  The same disadvantages are present to be consider by Frost that must be consider by any non-NU alum.  Being a former player gives him the understanding of and hopefully the passion for NU but does not guaranty his ultimate loyalty which rightfully isn't to us fans but to him and his family.  

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree.  There are many reasons why Scott may say thanks but no thanks.  Just like any other good young coach, he has to be confident that NU is a good career move   and a place he can win a NC.  The same disadvantages are present to be consider by Frost that must be consider by any non-NU alum.  Being a former player gives him the understanding of and hopefully the passion for NU but does not guaranty his ultimate loyalty which rightfully isn't to us fans but to him and his family.  

This might just be me but I think a lot of the younger coaches are looking more at the contract than the school.

Bob Stoops, I think, will start a trend.  Make your cash and retire.

The coaches are signing a lotto ticket, they know it.  You get a HC coaching gig at 40 and you are pretty much set for life.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

As far as the timing, OWH says it happened "earlier this year".  The media just noticed it yesterday.

So the real question (to me at least) should be why this wasn't publicized when it happened?

Because Lee likes to sit on things until times get tough, so he can pile on the program. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

When it comes to Husker football there probably aren't many things Husker fans agree upon, however I will go out on a limb and suggest one thing we all agree on is the need for great athletes and depth in all positions.  While we have some great young men/athletes now, we also have some holes and weaknesses. 

With an offensive system like MR's, once a cycle of freshman have come in and developed in the system over a 3, 4, or 5 year period with Jr's and Sophmores behind them who have done the same, it becomes a powerful machine and not just a system.

Anything that helps us attract and get talent is another step in the right direction.  This extension is a strong message to all prospective recruits wanting to play in a pro-style offense who may be concerned about whether the coach and system they commit to will still be in place 3 years form now.  The answer is YES, so hesitate no longer and commit to N today.   GBR

If this was true we wouldn't still be paying Bo.

Nebraska needs to settle in with a staff and set of players and get this monkey off their back. It is pretty clear to me that these issues stem beyond a regime or players. I do not know what it is, but at some point, enough is enough. Let these guys figure it out. Is that a risk? I don't think so anymore. We are who we are as a program and I do not see it dropping beyond nine wins every year (aside from MRs first year). So take the time to get it right, instead of firing guys just to find lightening in a bottle. 

• Plus1 3

I know people know the reason behind these extensions, and why all college coaches at nearly every major sport have four-year contracts which are routinely extended.

It's funny to watch people act as if this means anything about Riley's time here, or that this is in any way anything other than about recruiting. 

• Plus1 3