Games that Should Have Beem

What games were never played, but you wish they had been played? My top would be:

1. 1997 Nebraska vs Michigan special extra game player after the bowl games
  2. 1994 Nebraska vs Penn State early in the season or just before the bowls. Penn State needed a beat down so they could quit wining about being undefeated and not getting the title. This would also be payback for the out-of-bounds catch that cost Nebraska a MNC in 1982.
  3. 2011 LSU vs Oklahoma State. Alabama could't even win the SEC west, so how can they be national champions. Even worse two SEC west teams playing for the MNC is ridiculous. This was probably OSU's best ever season, and they deserved a shot at the title much more than Alabama.
  • Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I can't imagine college football in 1902. How long would it take to get from Ann Arbor to Lincoln. Does anyone know why Nebraska doesn't claim a MNC for 1902?

From Wikipedia:

Nebraska wrapped up coach Booth's third season with an unprecedented full slate of shutout victories, including the exhibition game at the beginning of the season, scoring 186 points while keeping all opponents off the scoreboard. Nebraska's hopes to be considered the Western Champion were dashed when Michigan was instead selected, following their 23-6 win over Minnesota, which was Minnesota's only season defeat except for their earlier loss to Nebraska.

Being an independent seemed to work against Nebraska's title consideration, as the other contenders were members of the Big Nine Conference. Nebraska applied to the Big Nine following the season, but the application was denied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1902_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

If OU could be permitted a rematch against us in the Orange Bowl after we beat them Nov 1978 (screwy deal - we were rank # 1 or 2, beat OU and lose to MO the next week - probably would have won the NC wtout MO getting in the way, then we play OU who had the revenge motivation and we had no motivation) - therefore, we should have played PSU again  in the bowl for the NC in 1982.  As clearly as we had won the previous game without the out of bounds catch called in bounds by the blind refs, we would have won the 2nd time around.  The 82 team was better than the 83 team and a NC was stolen from them IMHO.

1993  Orange Bowl NC game - it should have been NU vs ND not Florida State.  N Dame got screwed out of that game but FSU was the media darling at the time.  I think we would have matched up better wt ND.  Then of course we lose the game on a phantom clip and a no call fumble by FSU at the end zone.  We almost pulled it off despite the refs.  Again costing Tom his first NC.

1999 NC game:  The 1999 team, still full of Tom's recruits, was a monster team and the best of the Solich years.  Outside of the fumble crossing the goal line vs texass they would have been undefeated.  We would have played M Vick and Virginia Tech or FSU (revenge 93).  Bring either on and we would have won with that D we had.  We soundly defeated a highly rank Tenn team that year in the bowl game and ended up ranked 3rd.  This may have given Frank more time, may have enhanced his recruiting so that he didn't have the drop off after 2001 - speculation I know but one can imagine what could have been. 

95 - NU vs Ohio State - just to shut up the Eddie George Heisman talk so that the rightful winner  could receive the award - Tommie Frazier.  George would have been stuffed like sardines in a can against our D.  His Hisman run would have ended if they had played us earlier in the season And Tommie always rises to the occasion in those big games. 

• Plus1 1

Top game that wasn't played that should have been played is Nebraska vs Michigan 1997.  One team wanted to settle it on the field, the other pretends like the Rose Bowls sacred aura and prestige was too much to deny so they could not partake aka knew the game would get ugly for them.

And I would have really enjoyed that 2009 Fiesta Bowl we were 1 second from playing in.  Suh may have actually hospitalized half the UConn offense by himself.

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

If OU could be permitted a rematch against us in the Orange Bowl after we beat them Nov 1978 (screwy deal - we were rank # 1 or 2, beat OU and lose to MO the next week - probably would have won the NC wtout MO getting in the way, then we play OU who had the revenge motivation and we had no motivation) - therefore, we should have played PSU again  in the bowl for the NC in 1982.  As clearly as we had won the previous game without the out of bounds catch called in bounds by the blind refs, we would have won the 2nd time around.  The 82 team was better than the 83 team and a NC was stolen from them IMHO.

1993  Orange Bowl NC game - it should have been NU vs ND not Florida State.  N Dame got screwed out of that game but FSU was the media darling at the time.  I think we would have matched up better wt ND.  Then of course we lose the game on a phantom clip and a no call fumble by FSU at the end zone.  We almost pulled it off despite the refs.  Again costing Tom his first NC.

1999 NC game:  The 1999 team, still full of Tom's recruits, was a monster team and the best of the Solich years.  Outside of the fumble crossing the goal line vs texass they would have been undefeated.  We would have played M Vick and Virginia Tech or FSU (revenge 93).  Bring either on and we would have won with that D we had.  We soundly defeated a highly rank Tenn team that year in the bowl game and ended up ranked 3rd.  This may have given Frank more time, may have enhanced his recruiting so that he didn't have the drop off after 2001 - speculation I know but one can imagine what could have been. 

95 - NU vs Ohio State - just to shut up the Eddie George Heisman talk so that the rightful winner  could receive the award - Tommie Frazier.  George would have been stuffed like sardines in a can against our D.  His Hisman run would have ended if they had played us earlier in the season And Tommie always rises to the occasion in those big games. 

The '99 game would've been interesting for sure.  FSU was absolutely loaded at the skill positions, particularly WR.  If memory serves, Anquan Boldin was either a freshman or sophomore and would've gotten some run.  In addition they had Levernues (?) Coles and Peter Warrick.  Peter Warrick was soooo smooth.  I remember he tore up his knee early in his NFL career and just never seemed to bounce back.  It would've been a heckuva game. 

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

What games were never played, but you wish they had been played? My top would be:

1. 1997 Nebraska vs Michigan special extra game player after the bowl games
  2. 1994 Nebraska vs Penn State early in the season or just before the bowls. Penn State needed a beat down so they could quit wining about being undefeated and not getting the title. This would also be payback for the out-of-bounds catch that cost Nebraska a MNC in 1982.
  3. 2011 LSU vs Oklahoma State. Alabama could't even win the SEC west, so how can they be national champions. Even worse two SEC west teams playing for the MNC is ridiculous. This was probably OSU's best ever season, and they deserved a shot at the title much more than Alabama.

I remember that Okie Lite team, they were loaded.  They got super unlucky against ISU, I think they turned the ball over 4 or 5 times, ISU played out of their mind and it was either a Thursday or Friday night game too if memory serves.  Plus, I think Okie State had a plane crash that killed a coach and a couple other folks from another team that week which I'm sure didn't help the mental state.  

18 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I can't imagine college football in 1902. How long would it take to get from Ann Arbor to Lincoln. Does anyone know why Nebraska doesn't claim a MNC for 1902?

Because NU takes them when they are awarded to them - instead of declaring things that aren't real