Riley/Lee = Callahan/Keller

Scratchtown

1 hour ago, Coach Power'T said:

When I said re-branded. I meant new life. It's what Ohio State did. You gotta make NU football fun again. You don't do that with a grandpa as head coach, not in this day and age.

Yes, Taggart I thought was the perfect fit, super glad we got him. Players love him. 

Nebraska needs identity that is not west coast. 

I agree that NU needs to go after a younger coach.  I don't care if that coach doesn't have a lot of experience, but NU needs to hit a home run with the next hire, and going after a younger coach who would bring energy and excitement into the program would be it.  Hiring Mike Riley was getting on base by a walk, it wasn't even a hit.

I know Scott Frost is probably a long shot to come back to NU, but he is the first guy I would go after.  He wouldn't be shocked by the expectations of the fans, and I think he would be able to adapt his offense to fit Nebraska and the Big Ten.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Still not a very good metric. You completely write off anyone who hasn't been a head coach before, and you also essentially write off most coaches who make waves at smaller G5 schools, as well as coaches who needed some time to turn around dead programs, etc.

Mark Helfricht has a 70% winning percentage, a Pac-12 championship, a Rose Bowl win, a National Championship appearance and a top 5 finish in 3 years as a head coach. Justin Fuente had a 26-23 record and one conference championship before being hired at Virginia Tech. PJ Fleck had a 30-22 record and one conference championship before being hired at Minnesota.

I don't know about you but I know which one of those three I'd pick last as my head coach.

You and I are talking about different things. I am positing that, in hiring a new head coach, your chances of that person being a good coach aren't increased by them having already been a head coach in the past, and that first time head coaches and hires who have been head coaches before have about an equal amount of potential towards success. I'm disagreeing with the myth that we need a proven head coach.

I don’t really buy the argument that we need to hire a successful long serving head coach, but we cannot ever hire another coach like Riley. You don’t bring a lifetime .500 coach with 0 conference championships to Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1

As many know through the years (when I actually post) that I'm a big fan of smash mouth football (love offenses like what Wisconsin, Stanford & what Oregon is becoming).  I believe that you need to recruit and build your program around who you are as a university and your fan base.  We had a identity for many many years and that went away when Callahan was hired (we got soft).  

Sure we want all want speed but we are located in a region where you first and foremost need to be physical and be top notch on both sides along the lines.  We just don't have that physical nature anymore along the offensive line.  There is a reason other B1G West programs have as certain formula of the type of kids they bring in and the type of systems they run.  We need to bring back that mentality.   

I think Riley's offense as a whole is not the issue, but it is the type of offense you need to have physicality to it.  You need to be able to run the ball effectively down peoples throats.  Less depended on throwing the ball a lot (sure that happens when you get down). The passing game opens up when you are running the ball well.  Of course taking care of the ball is priority #1.   

I don't care what level the next head coach comes from, just bring in someone that has a proven track record of not only winning but being physical all-around.  Someone a littler younger is a plus... bring some energy (not negative energy like Bo).  

43 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

People associate Keller with Callahan and also put Callahan's failures on Keller's shoulder's. That guilt by association thing. Regardless of what you consider to be "garbage stats" he still put up those numbers. This is really no different than people marginalizing wins.

Look at his numbers that games that mattered: USC, Mizzou, A&M, Oklahoma State...

https://www.huskermax.com/allgames/2007.html

Stats don't win games.

• Plus1 1