Riley is still our coach

Nebfanatic

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, the next coach will need to run a pro-style offense with a pocket passer?

We've had this conversation before and you ignore my explanation.  Not sure why I'm going to try it again.

There are a lot of styles of offense our QBs could be successful in that are successful with QBs that are pass first while distributing the ball to other players.

That is FAR from the Taylor Martinez/Tommie Armstrong type of QBs.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

The statues tend to weed themselves out? What do you mean by that?

The vast majority of the greatest quarterbacks in football history in the NFL were statues, weren't they?

If you stand flatfooted and can't get rid of the ball before getting sacked or rattled, you won't be playing very long. 

Those great pocket passers your thinking of all had good footwork. You wouldn't call Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway or Brett Favre running quarterbacks, but they certainly weren't statues. They had a sixth sense -- or maybe just good peripheral vision -- that told them when the pocket was collapsing. They could usually buy the second or two they needed with just a few steps if not an outright scramble. I'm not sure where people get this idea that pro-style means statue, although its still a great way to look for receivers if your OL lets you. But that's true with every QB.

I believe it was the quarterback whisperer they assigned to Taylor Martinez a few years ago who said he never concentrated on the QBs arm. It was all about the footwork. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...what have we had the most problem getting and molding for various styles of offense for a long time?

I agree that recruiting at QB is the most important position for a football team.  We have seen that be true, regardless of offensive style run.  However, I think whatever offensive style is run by the new coach (if Riley is fired), the new coach will be able to utilize the existing roster, while then looking at what type of player they want to recruit going forward.

The new coach has to recruit the type of player that is the best fit for their system.  I understood why Riley was recruiting the best passers he could, even if they weren't the most mobile.  That's they type of QB he likes for his system.  I was encouraged when Riley was looking at recruiting dual-threat QB's for NU.  The coach has to run his system.  He can't worry about the system the previous coach had, or what system the next coach may have.

Assuming that Nebraska manages to put together a competitive season, that means winning some big games that seem out of reach today, I hope Riley gets to stay.  He is recruiting well and he is willing to fire crap coordinators, unlike past coaches.  Of course the challenge now is that he is suppose to be an offensive guy and his offense sucks (and the verdict is out on the defense till they get into the Big 10 schedule).   I think too much is made of coaching security,  our past fired coaches were given plenty of time to show championship potential and based on the jobs they fell into it is obvious that other big programs agree.  If we look for another HC the best news for husker fans is that the front office seems to be willing to back up the money truck (Diaco) and that is what is needed in the future.  Win games, keep the seats full (without shrinking the stadium) and the husker gear selling, that is what you pay the coach to do.  

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that recruiting at QB is the most important position for a football team.  We have seen that be true, regardless of offensive style run.  However, I think whatever offensive style is run by the new coach (if Riley is fired), the new coach will be able to utilize the existing roster, while then looking at what type of player they want to recruit going forward.

The new coach has to recruit the type of player that is the best fit for their system.  I understood why Riley was recruiting the best passers he could, even if they weren't the most mobile.  That's they type of QB he likes for his system.  I was encouraged when Riley was looking at recruiting dual-threat QB's for NU.  The coach has to run his system.  He can't worry about the system the previous coach had, or what system the next coach may have.

I fail to see how any of our QBs could have a QB running game like we had with Frazier, Crouch, Frost, Martinez, Armstrong.

Let me ask you this though, how many people would be fine with Oregon's offense?  I would think a fair amount.  I don't see why any of our QBs would have a problem doing what they did in our game offensively.  Even though the offensive philosophy is very different, the QB needs the same skill sets, for the most part.  

That's just one example of very differing offenses that can utilize the same players.  BUT...that isn't the case with EVERY offensive game plan.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see how any of our QBs could have a QB running game like we had with Frazier, Crouch, Frost, Martinez, Armstrong.

Let me ask you this though, how many people would be fine with Oregon's offense?  I would think a fair amount.  I don't see why any of our QBs would have a problem doing what they did in our game offensively.  Even though the offensive philosophy is very different, the QB needs the same skill sets, for the most part.  

That's just one example of very differing offenses that can utilize the same players.  BUT...that isn't the case with EVERY offensive game plan.

I would be very happy with an offense similar to Oregon's.  I think that POB and Gebbia would thrive in an offense similar to that, and the offense could be further tailored if a guy who was more of a running threat was brought in.  I think Beck's offense was more similar to Oregon's, but with Martinez, he was such a running threat that he was used more as a runner.  I think that we were misunderstanding each other on some of our comments.  I was never recommending going to a Crouch or Frazier type offense (although they weren't all that similar).  I don't think you will see a coach that would make that drastic of a change.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Everyone has had a problem recruiting and developing a competent QB?  I didn't know that.  Then we should be fine with where our QB is at in development....because, we are no different than anyone else.

I mean, can we actually have a discussion without you taking something to a hyperbolic extreme?

• Plus1 3