Riley is still our coach

Nebfanatic

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Do you know when the revolving door stops?  

When you find the right coach with sufficient success to keep.

Exactly right.  The right coach deserves to stay when he produces the football success that as fans, we want to see on Saturdays.  Find that coach, and hopefully he sticks around at NU for 10 years.  Anything beyond that is gravy.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call the Pelini tenure an "revolving door".  He was at NU 7 years, and that was plenty of time to show what he was as a coach.  He was a good coach, who was able to have "good years", but he wasn't a great coach, and when you combine that with his boorish behavior, it was time for him to go.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get it, Riley is a nice guy, but he has shown the entire state that he isn't really a good coach.  Now, things could end up very differently than we think right now, but he's on his way to another losing season, or best case scenario 6-6 or 7-5 season.  That's a lot of losing!!!

I think you missed his point. We should be thankful for Riley and his losing ways. We can thin out the fan base by getting rid of the fair weather fans. Imagine how marvelous things will be if we end up 3-9.

I don't think Kaake believes half the stuff he posts. Equating NIU loss to TO's IASt loss for example.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The best thing that Riley did for his fans was go 5-7 his first regular season.  That set the bar for HIM, even though the minimum bar for all other Husker coaches have been 8-9 wins.

8 minutes ago, unlfan said:

That what Mike Riley does. He establishes losing cultures that are poisonous. 6-6 or 7-5 were praised at Oregon State.

What a load of BS.

Posts like this have absolutely no purpose other than trying to divide the fan base into us against them.

Problem is.....to you guys...you are fighting against a fantom "them".

• Plus1 5
35 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think you missed his point. We should be thankful for Riley and his losing ways. We can thin out the fan base by getting rid of the fair weather fans. Imagine how marvelous things will be if we end up 3-9.

I don't think Kaake believes half the stuff he posts. Equating NIU loss to TO's IASt loss for example.

I have heard nobody, myself included, advocate for losing. The only equivalence I was trying to draw between a couple Osborne's IASt losses and NIU is that sometimes everything works against you. That is why the game is played.

11 minutes ago, unlfan said:

That what Mike Riley does. He establishes losing cultures that are poisonous. 6-6 or 7-5 were praised at Oregon State.

Mike Riley will most likely not be coaching at Nebraska next year. It's not working out. We will find another coach and he will bring a few question marks on his resume for the fans to debate, but we will all be rooting for his success at Nebraska. Until some of us decide to turn on him. 

But in fact Mike Riley established a winning culture at Oregon State. His 5-6 season was praised because it was the best record the football-deprived school had had since 1971. Riley's string of 8, 9 and 10 win seasons were a huge turnaround for the program. Riley went 6-2 in bowl games with OSU, more than doubling the number of bowl appearances in the 100 year history of the program. Riley notched his share of big game upsets against coaches like Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh. OSU under Riley could no longer be considered the doormat of the Pac-12

Those are objective facts. Words like "poisonous" are subjective. 

This is what I meant by trying to stay classy. I can see it's hard for you. 

• Plus1 5

The biggest difference between a place like USC going through lots of coaches and what Nebraska has done.

To my knowledge, they haven't changed drastically from coach to coach what type of offensive systems they want to run.  For the most part, from coach to coach, they have been recruiting the same types of QBs, WRs, Linemen...etc.

Nebraska has not done that.  So....when a new coach comes in, they have to do one of two things.  Try to plug square pegs into round holes...which usually does not work well.  OR.....they have to try to coach an offensive system they don't know or are comfortable with until they get their types of players in the program and developed.

If Riley doesn't work out, I'm perfectly fine with a change.  Right now, it appears that change will happen after this year.  Perfectly fine with me from what we know right now.

BUT....I want at least some semblance of the same philosophies in the type of players are are recruiting and wanting to play so we don't have yet another couple years of adjustment to systems.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The biggest difference between a place like USC going through lots of coaches and what Nebraska has done.

To my knowledge, they haven't changed drastically from coach to coach what type of offensive systems they want to run.  For the most part, from coach to coach, they have been recruiting the same types of QBs, WRs, Linemen...etc.

Nebraska has not done that.  So....when a new coach comes in, they have to do one of two things.  Try to plug square pegs into round holes...which usually does not work well.  OR.....they have to try to coach an offensive system they don't know or are comfortable with until they get their types of players in the program and developed.

If Riley doesn't work out, I'm perfectly fine with a change.  Right now, it appears that change will happen after this year.  Perfectly fine with me from what we know right now.

BUT....I want at least some semblance of the same philosophies in the type of players are are recruiting and wanting to play so we don't have yet another couple years of adjustment to systems.

So, the next coach will need to run a pro-style offense with a pocket passer?  That's limiting your available candidates.

Honestly, I think you are worrying too much about "recruiting philosophy", other than QB style, most coaches are going to recruit the same types of players.  It usually doesn't need to be a complete overhaul in the types of athletes you are recruiting.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think you are worrying too much about "recruiting philosophy", other than QB style, most coaches are going to recruit the same types of players.  It usually doesn't need to be a complete overhaul in the types of athletes you are recruiting.

This.  So much this.

"Types of players" are COMPLETLY overblown save for the QB spot.  And even then, we've been told for two years that Riley has been handicapped by not having "his type" of QB only to find out that the guy who is "his type" of QB isn't any better of a passer than the guy that was supposedly handicapping him.

Yes, if you're going to want to go from a Pro Style to an offense where they QB runs 15-20 times a game (or vice versa), that's quite a switch.  But that's also the extreme.  There are lots of degrees between the two extremes that aren't nearly as drastic.  

Lee isn't going to do anything for you in a read option offense.  For that matter, he's not doing a lot for us in our current offense.  But I don't think either POB or Gebbia would have that much trouble running more of a spread type offense.  Not necessarily running it 15 times per game but 5 or so carries in certain spots just to know they're a threat isn't asking a lot of them.

• Plus1 3

Just now, Mavric said:

This.  So much this.

"Types of players" are COMPLETLY overblown save for the QB spot.  And even then, we've been told for two years that Riley has been handicapped by not having "his type" of QB only to find out that the guy who is "his type" of QB isn't any better of a passer than the guy that was supposedly handicapping him.

Yes, if you're going to want to go from a Pro Style to an offense where they QB runs 15-20 times a game (or vice versa), that's quite a switch.  But that's also the extreme.  There are lots of degrees between the two extremes that aren't nearly as drastic.  

Lee isn't going to do anything for you in a read option offense.  For that matter, he's not doing a lot for us in our current offense.  But I don't think either POB or Gebbia would have that much trouble running more of a spread type offense.  Not necessarily running it 15 times per game but 5 or so carries in certain spots just to know they're a threat isn't asking a lot of them.

Listening to Severe yesterday, he described POB as "effectively mobile".  He described it as a guy (like you say above) who isn't going to run all over the place, but he's able to take off and run on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 and get a first down.  I think a guy who can be just mobile enough would be effective in a zone read scheme or a scheme that utilizes roll outs our bootlegs to keep the defense honest.

I am a fan of the Dallas Cowboys, and now that Dak Prescott is the clear #1 QB and Romo is gone, they aren't running him nearly as much as they did last year.  But, last night they had him keep the ball a couple times on a zone read option, one scored a TD.  They also had him roll out of the pocket a number of times and connected on big plays.  A smart college coach would be able to utilize POB and Gebbia in a similar manner.

If by "pro style quarterback" you mean a guy who can hang in a pocket, scan the field, check down receivers, and throw accurate passes to them in step, then EVERY football program could use that guy. Pro quarterbacks also know how to hand the ball off to running backs. Nowhere is it written that you abandon the running game.

It all works better when your QB is mobile. Doesn't have to be a dual-threat. Just don't want to be a statue. Pro-style doesn't mean statue. The statues tend to weed themselves out.