Riley is still our coach

Nebfanatic

1 minute ago, MacNCheeze said:

Heres the thing....Hes not the guy, he just isnt.  Hes not going to come here and turn things around hes just not.  The problem is most of us fans think this is something that we deserve or that were owed because of what we were.  What we were isnt what we are today, and this man and his plan aren't going to right the ship.  We are called the Greatest Fans in College football, but i want you to realize that we, you are not called that because your fans of nebraska football.  Its because your from nebraska, your from the heartland of america hard working blue collared americans.  You treat people with kindness and respect and yes we had a kickass football team for quite a long time.  The people of nebraska earned that name not the football team.  The football team is a product of the people who run it.  People who can adapt and change, people who scheme and plot.  When Riley first came here he came with everyone who was a problem at Oregon St.  This last year he could see the writing on the wall and knew he had to make some changes to save his skin and now he cant even win the games he should with the 3 4 5 star recruits we have.  Im not going to pat him on the back because he fired his friends, or that hes making changes its his frigging job to make changes.  How many seasons will it take to figure this out.  You can give the guy all the money and facilities and chances you want.  But if the guy just flat out sucks at his job then maybe he should think of doing something else.  I dont know who or what can fix this but i seriously dont think this man can.

So we should we can him now or at least see how the team plays the rest of the season before deciding?

Just now, dvdcrr said:

No No No.   

See what the deal is, is that you KNOW in your heart this man is not going to get NU back in position to be playing in Conference championships annually (Like Clemson, and Alabama are currently doing) and National Championship games frequently.  You know this.  But posters like you are OK with that.  You justify it by saying "Times have changed"  and "This conference is too tough"  etcetc.  Meanwhile Alabama, Clemson, are  showing you that it IS possible to ach 

No No No

I don't know that in my heart and just because you have an opinion doesn't mean I agree with it or secretly think what you're thinking.

And your example of Swinney at Clemson contradicts your conclusion as he went 6-7 in his 3rd year at Clemson.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No No No

I don't know that in my heart and just because you have an opinion doesn't mean I agree with it or secretly think what you're thinking.

And your example of Swinney at Clemson contradicts your conclusion as he went 6-7 in his 3rd year at Clemson.

Ah..  So we have a full blown Riley supporter then...win or lose!!  

I've got a question then , I know you like Riley,  But what about the CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PROGRAM?  

Some of us care more about that.

2 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I've got a question then , I know you like Riley,  But what about the CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PROGRAM?  

See, you've once again assumed what I'm thinking - and you're wrong. I care more about the program than Riley. If the season ended today, I'd be fine with replacing him. But the season isn't over, and I want to have all the results to make a more informed decision - because I'm also fine with keeping Riley if we improve and I think he's a better risk going forward than the risk of a (probably unknown) replacement.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Isnt Riley part of the CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PROGRAM?  So shouldn’t people that care about the CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PROGRAM support Mike Riley?  That is until he is no longer part of the CORNHUSKER FOOTBALL PROGRAM.  (Which might be sooner rather than later)

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, MacNCheeze said:

Its like your a hillary supporter and im a trump suporter.  I can say what i want and you can say what you want but its not going to change our opinions.  I never followed online when callihan was in line for the job but i sure did both these last two times.  We wanted Bo, we asked for bo and that worked for a few years.  Yes bo was an a-hole but we did get what we asked for and we were atleast consistant.   It was dam entertaining also,  but sadly after rereading the sockpuppet thread i realized that very very few were excited about this man coming here.  We as a institution earned the right a long time ago to not put up with mediocrity. 

Can we root for the team and coach during the season and decide on mediocrity at the end? That's really the point of this thread IMO.

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

See, you've once again assumed what I'm thinking - and you're wrong. I care more about the program than Riley. If the season ended today, I'd be fine with replacing him. But the season isn't over, and I want to have all the results to make a more informed decision - because I'm also fine with keeping Riley if we improve and I think he's a better risk going forward than the risk of a (probably unknown) replacement.

It is too late for that.  If you can't see by now this isn't the guy then I almost feel bad for you.  Because this coach is gonna keep dropping 6-7 win seasons on your head.  How long will you put up with it?  When the fans stop coming?  When the recruits stop coming?  What will make you see?  This is not the guy.

BTW the firing of the AD means Riley is already gone.  They just don't want to do it this early.  But it is a done deal.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

It is too late for that.  If you can't see by now this isn't the guy then I almost feel bad for you.  Because this coach is gonna keep dropping 6-7 win seasons on your head.  How long will you put up with it?  When the fans stop coming?  When the recruits stop coming?  What will make you see?  This is not the guy.

BTW the firing of the AD means Riley is already gone.  They just don't want to do it this early.  But it is a done deal.

What don't you understand? If we win 6 this season or even 7 I won't mind firing him. But maybe he surprises us and wins 11 games this year. If that happens I sure as hell wouldn't fire him. Again you may well be right about Riley. It's more and more looking like that is true but until all the games this season are played we can't say for sure.

I said many times before this season I support Riley, but he needs to win the west this year or I don't think he will work out. I still stand by that. But the whole conference slate is still ahead of us and anything can happen in college football. If we win the West I'm on the Riley train still, if we don't I'll hop off but I don't see a point in hopping off now when he will still be our coach the rest of the season whether I support him or not. 

I have been a member of this board for a long time.  I have voiced over the years that this board is so far away from what the majority of Husker fans want and think it is ridiculous.  We have a select few that will do anything to prove their way is the path, and really do not care what damage is done to the program to get it.  We heard last week that the stadium would be empty and the participation would be nill.  I watched the whole game and never saw a lack of support from our fans.  I did hear the boo birds when Tanner came back in after the interception.   But were quickly gone.  The negativity that is thrown around this site is not quite as real in the fan base it appears.  So continue to your gig, work hard for what you want to accomplish, or you could work hard trying to support the team like the vast majority.   But then I guess you wouldn't be special.

We have problems no question, but as any real coach would tell you, this is the time we need to come together and work together.  Seeing that we do not play the game, our only job is to support the coach, the team and the University.   Coach Riley is on thin ice I assume, but I feel he is working as hard as he can to turn this thing around.  Checking to see if he can get some of his starters back on the field for the next game.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I find it hard to believe you care about the Husker Program yet spend a great deal of time attempting to undermine it.

You can offer up all the rationalizations you want, but when you undermine the coach, you undermine the team who plays hard for him.