Riley is still our coach

Nebfanatic

10 hours ago, Sgt Red said:

Personally, I want Riley to remain the HC and hire a proven OC and line coach.  This OC needs to be a smash mouth running team with the ability to throw very well.  I like Riley as the face of NU football and I think he has a good vision for the team.  He can remain the process oriented nice guy but the OC needs to be hard nosed and passionate.  I like Diaco a lot and I can see his defense changing as better players are brought in.  We can't continue to change Head Coaches and expect to improve.

reaction no black nope no way GIF

14 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

With all this talk of new AD and HC I would like to take this time and remind everyone that Riley hasn't been fired yet. He is still leading our Huskers and I wish him success today and this season. I don't want to see him fired, I would rather see him rally this team and save his job. If he doesn't do that and is fired I do support that decision and hope we get a home run hire. Until that time I will be behind Riley and hoping he can lead this team to success.

GBR! Let's beat the Knights down today!

True that he is still our coach and you should support your team.  But is also true and more important that this is not the man who can get Nebraska back to where it used to be.  Nor is he a coach who has shown any sense of urgency in the matter, which is particularly disappointing given his tenure and current state of the program.  And as such warrants only as much support and politeness as a gentleman would afford to anyone, nothing more.

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I wonder what it's like to have to go into work everyday knowing you are going to lose your job in a few months pretty much no matter what you do short of winning a CC or NC.  I also think if Riley has anybody on the fence wether to play or not he better start burning red shirts like books at a Nazi party

Jaylin Bradley and Brendan Jaimis say hello 

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

True that he is still our coach and you should support your team.(FACT)

But is also true(actually an UNKNOWN is not a truth) and more important that this is not the man who can get Nebraska back to where it used to be(UNKNOWN, just opinion).  Nor is he a coach who has shown any sense of urgency in the matter,(OPINION based on incomplete knowledge) which is particularly disappointing given his tenure and current state of the program.  And as such warrants only as much support and politeness as a gentleman would afford to anyone, nothing more.(False conclusion based on fallacy)

Your first sentence was factual. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

True that he is still our coach and you should support your team.  But is also true and more important that this is not the man who can get Nebraska back to where it used to be.  Nor is he a coach who has shown any sense of urgency in the matter, which is particularly disappointing given his tenure and current state of the program.  And as such warrants only as much support and politeness as a gentleman would afford to anyone, nothing more.

And I afford Riley to the end of this season. We don't look great after 4 weeks and we may not look good all season long. If that's the case, fire Riley at midfield after the Iowa game. But on the slim chance he turns it around and has this team in the hunt for a trip to Indy, I'm willing to give the guy a 4th year to see if these young guns all over the field can get better.

I'm not as dead set Riley is wrong for the program right now. I think he very well could be all wrong, but I think it is fair to give him this entire season to prove it one way or another. If we beat all of our divisional opponents this season I would be arguing he's the right guy. We haven't done that since we entered this conference.

So while it is easy to cast judgement now while we are in turmoil, I think I'll wait and see of the turmoil continues. We can't realistically fire and replace MR until after this season has concluded anyway so might as well wait and gather all of the possible information. 

• Plus1 5
34 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And I afford Riley to the end of this season. We don't look great after 4 weeks and we may not look good all season long. If that's the case, fire Riley at midfield after the Iowa game. But on the slim chance he turns it around and has this team in the hunt for a trip to Indy, I'm willing to give the guy a 4th year to see if these young guns all over the field can get better.

I'm not as dead set Riley is wrong for the program right now. I think he very well could be all wrong, but I think it is fair to give him this entire season to prove it one way or another. If we beat all of our divisional opponents this season I would be arguing he's the right guy. We haven't done that since we entered this conference.

So while it is easy to cast judgement now while we are in turmoil, I think I'll wait and see of the turmoil continues. We can't realistically fire and replace MR until after this season has concluded anyway so might as well wait and gather all of the possible information. 

Based on my conversations, it would appear the vast majority of Husker fans are close to your very level headed view with how they feel. 

It really baffles why a select few are so intent on waging a campain to convince others "he's not the guy".  If he doesn't get things going in the right direction he'll be let go. 

If he does, I have a feeling these people spending so much time talking down the Huskers will continue to do so even after wins.  Why?  Is it because it's more important to them to defend a line in the sand they drew than to support the coach and team succeed at the expense of possibly being proven wrong?

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Well, the bolded is flat out not true. He's fired 4 coaches in 2 seasons, a couple who have been with him for many years - that's about as high a sense of urgency as a coach can have.

There's a lot of reasons to be upset with the coaches, so why post ones that aren't true?

Heres the thing....Hes not the guy, he just isnt.  Hes not going to come here and turn things around hes just not.  The problem is most of us fans think this is something that we deserve or that were owed because of what we were.  What we were isnt what we are today, and this man and his plan aren't going to right the ship.  We are called the Greatest Fans in College football, but i want you to realize that we, you are not called that because your fans of nebraska football.  Its because your from nebraska, your from the heartland of america hard working blue collared americans.  You treat people with kindness and respect and yes we had a kickass football team for quite a long time.  The people of nebraska earned that name not the football team.  The football team is a product of the people who run it.  People who can adapt and change, people who scheme and plot.  When Riley first came here he came with everyone who was a problem at Oregon St.  This last year he could see the writing on the wall and knew he had to make some changes to save his skin and now he cant even win the games he should with the 3 4 5 star recruits we have.  Im not going to pat him on the back because he fired his friends, or that hes making changes its his frigging job to make changes.  How many seasons will it take to figure this out.  You can give the guy all the money and facilities and chances you want.  But if the guy just flat out sucks at his job then maybe he should think of doing something else.  I dont know who or what can fix this but i seriously dont think this man can.

44 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, the bolded is flat out not true. He's fired 4 coaches in 2 seasons, a couple who have been with him for many years - that's about as high a sense of urgency as a coach can have.

There's a lot of reasons to be upset with the coaches, so why post ones that aren't true?

No No No.   

See what the deal is, is that you KNOW in your heart this man is not going to get NU back in position to be playing in Conference championships annually (Like Clemson, and Alabama are currently doing) and National Championship games frequently.  You know this.  But posters like you are OK with that.  You justify it by saying "Times have changed"  and "This conference is too tough"  etcetc.  Meanwhile Alabama, Clemson, are  showing you that it IS possible to achieve in this day what NU did for 30 years.  BUT, you have lowered your standards.  Some of us have not