Dear Faux: Is booing your own team proper behavior?

Saunders

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm guessing 90% of the time people boo they're own team, it's aimed at the coaches.

Yeah I think you're right. I don't recall a time I've ever booed at Memorial Stadium, but, when Lee came back in and I heard boos I had the feeling it was mostly directed at Riley/Langs.

I don't think some people realize in the moment the players know exactly why the booing is happening even if the boos are directed at coaches. Case in point, I'm sure Lee knew the boos were because of his performance. It's bit like adding salt on the wound and further humiliating him. I get that he's a 'big kid' at a major division one football program, but he's also not making millions of dollars playing for a professional team.

How an action is interpreted doesn't always match the intent.

• Plus1 2

I generally don't like the idea of booing your own team. Booing a blown call by the officials is of course acceptable and encouraged.

However, at the time, the booing in the Rutgers game didn't really bother me terribly because I'm pretty darned sure it was directed at the coaches for not pulling Tanner Lee when it was overly obvious they should've. The only problem with that is I would bet Tanner Lee couldn't differentiate who it was really intended for, so that part of it isn't good. It's just one of those things that is inevitable when certain thresholds are crossed. I don't like it and would like to think I wouldn't do it (and never have done it) but I will admit I was booing (well, not really booing but cussing like a sailor) the decision to leave him in the game from my easy chair at home. But I did feel bad for Tanner shortly thereafter. The players don't deserve that. Hopefully Riley and Co. got the message and won't place a player in that circumstance again. Yes, I blame the coaches for putting him in that situation.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't recall a time I've ever booed at Memorial Stadium

I have booed the refs a LOT in the past five years.  There have been some asstastic calls out there, or missed calls. 

I have never booed the team or the coaches, but I understand why someone might after some of the play we've seen the past few years.  There's only so much a fan can take, and some people have lower tolerances than others.

29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have booed the refs a LOT in the past five years.  There have been some asstastic calls out there, or missed calls. 

I have never booed the team or the coaches, but I understand why someone might after some of the play we've seen the past few years.  There's only so much a fan can take, and some people have lower tolerances than others.

IMO, booing refs is OK. Those kinds of boos are difficult to misinterpret.