What did we learn-Game 5 Illinois

JJ Husker

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is the biggest surprise to me - thought TL would be great at finding the highest percentage target in the 3-8 yard range.  Maybe Wisc week is the beginning of this part of the offense - if not it could be a long night.... Got to hope it falls into place in week 6!!!!

On 10/4/2017 at 11:18 AM, seaofred92 said:

I learned that we have the ability to drain clock and step on an over-matched opponents throat in the fourth quarter. Progress. 

This game also confirmed to me that Boe Wilson needs more snaps over Tanner Farmer. Wilson is a savage out there and I have unfortunately been less than impressed with Farmer this year. I love what Jerald Foster brings. 

Tanner Lee won't have a better/more efficient game than this one all year long. Enjoy it. First TD was off his back foot with terrible footwork and was late over the middle. Aint gonna fly against Wisconsin/tOSU etc

Starting to think DPE has turned into a better/more reliable WR than Stanley. At minimum, he's more consistent. 

The first 2 games we took 1-2 deep shots per game to Tyjon. Those have stopped for some reason. 

Best game play-calling wise from Langs this year. Mixed in some nice zone runs from the shotgun and some good passing concepts from under center so we weren't as predictable. I liked the addition of the quick slant if the DB is off #1 and we have a run play called under center. We ran this 2-3 times, first one being the Morgan drop that hit him right in the hands. 

Hopefully the NIU game bottomed the team out and they keep building. Beating Wisconsin might be a tough task but I fully expect us to play hard, compete, and be right there going into the fourth quarter. I just don't know that I trust Tanner Lee with the game on the line yet, and that will be the difference in this weekend's game IMO.

EDIT-- one thing I wanted to add. I'd love to see us turn that RPO we run with the bubble and slant into either a wheel route and slant or a bubble and sluggo if the opponent presses both receivers. Illinois crept up on that a few times, seems like an opportunity for a big play down the open sideline there with 1 on 1 coverage. 

lookie lookie. first time we run the RPO and its a sluggo.