What did we learn-Game 5 Illinois

JJ Husker

I learned that Illinois truly is very bad... hence, starting so many true freshman.

Hard to take away anything from NU's standpoint. There are a couple things, though.

Diaco seems to have no faith in our CBs playing press coverage; even if the opposing QB has shown NOTHING in the passing game. We're probably gonna see soft/off coverage the entire season.

Tanner Lee can look pretty good against a team that has no pass rush and runs Tampa-2 80% of the time. (a quick jab, but in all seriousness; he did look good w/o a constant pass rush).

Unfortunately; we cannot learn anything from the O-line from the Illinois or Rutgers games because the talent level of the opposing front-7 is so bare on both squads.

I learned that there are starters on both sides who shouldn't be.  Some of the back ups, IMO, have played better.

Our CB play is really iffy.

The D, as a whole, have improved.  Regardless of opponent, they are passing the eyeball test as far as better play.

Oz is a beast and plays very angry.

Lee looked better, but receivers have got to catch better.  Still dropping too many.

DPE, at least in the passing game looks much improved.

We have talent on both sides.

Missing Jones. A lot.

I learned I don't hate the concept of a NU Friday football game.  I woke up this morning thinking about my usual Sunday routine when I realized it's Saturday.  #FreeDay #YOLO

Parrela has earned his bucks this year.  The DL is playing pretty salty.  Stille had a nice coming out party.

Hopefully the training table pi$$es in Diaco's Cheerios a couple times this week.  They need to be ready for a knife fight come next Saturday.

When Chris Jones and Simon Phoenix (Kalu) come back, hopefully that will give Diaco the confidence to roll up some more press coverage.  OSU's 4x100 team they have cooking @ WR doesn't need a 10 yard head start every play.  Plus, the thought of their King Douche WR coach being able to gloat if his guys have a big day makes me sick.

Nice to see Decker take control @ C.  I know there was lots of talk if he would ever see the field.  Jaimes held up pretty well against Illinois' only good DE.

The Riley era comes down to the next 2 games, if he wants to save his job, they need to find a way to win one of these games.  Going on the road to PSU and snatching a victory seems highly unlikely right now.  

Three things I learned:

- Nebraska had by far their most complete game of the season and it came at a good time with two big opponents coming up

- the defense continues to improve: 11 TFL's and five sacks (the competition may be bottom of the B1G, but NU isn't exactly a top team in the conference)

- Tanner Lee can play pretty well when he has good protection and stays within the game plan