What did we learn-Game 5 Illinois

JJ Husker

Late to the party.

Learned:

Tanner CAN avoid turning it over (yes, I know he fumbled and threw a couple of balls that coulda/shoulda been picked)

Maybe they're trending in the right direction since this seemed to be the cleanest game

Our DBs, Geez. I don't know what DW is teaching, but either their being taught bad technique or they don't possess the athleticism to execute. 

We do have a pass rush at times

Overall, the team is still too loose with the football. Its almost like, this week, we traded interceptions for fumbles and dropped passes.

DPE is quite the inconsistent punt returner. One week he looks like an All-American, the next he looks like a first-timer.

2 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I learned that Lee plays no matter what. Game in hand in the 4th quarter - Lee plays. Lee tosses a couple pick sixes - Lee plays.

Dude is clearly our #1 guy - he had a rough patch that lasted a long time.  The more snaps he gets the more likely his confidence can recover.  I would much rather have a #1 that is confident going into the tough stretch that NU has in front of them / then having a #2 guy that got put into a game for some snaps that won't do a lick of good if he doesn't see the field over the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Dude is clearly our #1 guy - he had a rough patch that lasted a long time.  The more snaps he gets the more likely his confidence can recover.  I would much rather have a #1 that is confident going into the tough stretch that NU has in front of them / then having a #2 guy that got put into a game for some snaps that won't do a lick of good if he doesn't see the field over the next few weeks.

The problem I have with that is he didn't do anything different this game, he just got better results. Pass pro was better, play calling allowed him to get rid of the ball, lack of coverage allowed for open receivers, but he did what he's been doing. What I think are his real biggest problems, pocket awareness and keeping his feet alive, didn't change.

Confidence should come from doing things properly, not results. If you're not doing things properly, but getting the desired results, it creates a false feedback loop that can be hard to change.

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, brophog said:

The problem I have with that is he didn't do anything different this game, he just got better results. Pass pro was better, play calling allowed him to get rid of the ball, lack of coverage allowed for open receivers, but he did what he's been doing. What I think are his real biggest problems, pocket awareness and keeping his feet alive, didn't change.

Confidence should come from doing things properly, not results. If you're not doing things properly, but getting the desired results, it creates a false feedback loop that can be hard to change.

Actually confidence comes from results and outsider praise - and yes there is such a thing as false confidence, however it is still confidence.

54 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

What if Lee gets hurt. What if Lee throws 3 interceptions in the first half? We need backups that are ready to play. IMO, one of the reasons Nebraska was so good under TO was because the backups got lots of reps, even the 3s and 4s.

5 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I learned that Lee plays no matter what. Game in hand in the 4th quarter - Lee plays. Lee tosses a couple pick sixes - Lee plays.

I think the coaches would've put POB in the game if NU had scored on the second to last possession.

I learned that we can beat weak opponents but we can't beat better teams...that is of course if you consider Oregon and Norther Illinois better teams than us because last I checked, Arizona state beat Oregon.

I also learned that we will not be able to compete against teams like Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, and Iowa. If we played Michigan, they would also beat us. In other words, we are not anywhere near where we should have been by now. Mike Riley is a very nice man and he is probably a wonderful person but he will not be able to get us back to Nebraska glory days. We have become insignificant and no one expects us to compete for conference championships. National championships are light years away at this point.

• Plus1 1