'97 Huskers Say 'Refuse to Lose' Attitude is Now Missing

Mavric

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

In 1999 Nebraska "crushed" Southern Miss to the tune of 12-7 halftime, 20-13 final.

Time romanticizes the past.

That team got better as the season went on, and give it their all.

Can you say that you've seen the same each of the last 3 years? For me, it's a definitive no.

• Plus1 2

Amazes me to read all the "excuses" people come up with.  It has taken time, but I finally have realized we are just a very bad football team and  program that is lost is the woods.  Even people I work with around the country ask "What has happened to Nebraska?"  I will wear a Husker shirt while traveling and even random people on airplanes ask will they ever be back?  College football is better with a good Nebraska program.  Problem is, we need to get out of our own way and get back there.  I think Bounds and Green can get rid of the dysfunctional state and the fans proved vs Wisconsin that they are ready to "bring it" in support of the team.

Stop with the excuses !  Call a spade and spade, accept it and start working towards a solution. 

18 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

On Big Red Over-Reaction replay this morning, I listened a bit.  DB was saying that toughness is missing.  He did a great job of saying that being tough doesn't mean you are the biggest, baddest, strongest player on the field.  It sometimes means being willing to take an occasional beat down....and come back for the next play.  Too many guys diving for tackles, or sliding outside rather than going head on into a pulling lineman, knowing you'll get crushed, but also knowing you'll jam things up to help stop the play.  I'm not able to make all the points that they did but you get the picture.  Sometimes the toughest guy is the 90 lb weakling that takes a lick, and keeps getting back up until the other guy just gives up.

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Brown recalled in 1999, during the last conference title run, when Nebraska was crushing Southern Mississippi at halftime. The defense waited in the locker room for McBride to praise the performance. Instead, players were met with clipboards flying and expletives.

“I’m like, is he watching the same game we watched?” Brown said.

A few months later, McBride told Brown that he did it because they were playing so well, he didn’t know what else to say. But he also didn’t want them to let up.

Guys, this is the reason I point out NU-USM 20-13 in 1999. I agree that that was a wonderful season. A very elite caliber team that, excessive fumbling aside, could have played and won a national championship.

4 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Guys, this is the reason I point out NU-USM 20-13 in 1999. I agree that that was a wonderful season. A very elite caliber team that, excessive fumbling aside, could have played and won a national championship.

Doesn't seem right, does it? Maybe they got southern miss confused for Cal? I'm picking up what you're throwing down, zoogs. If this was truly the So. Miss game, then they clearly weren't dominating. 

One of my favorite Nick Saban quotes "It doesn't matter what you want. It's what you're willing to do to get what you want" Everyone wants to win football games. No one enjoys losing. BUT there are different levels kids/coaches will go to make sure that happens. 

With that said it starts up top with the coaching staff. We have an average Head Coach who wasn't the right guy to coach Nebraska football from the jump. We have an OC who has no idea what to do once we get into opponent territory along with a lack of rhythm. We have a DC who runs a defense that is only good if you have an offense that is scoring a lot of points - the D alignment is also abysmal. 

• Plus1 2
On 10/7/2017 at 8:39 AM, El Diaco said:

You're missing the point of having a refuse to lose attitude. Eleven 90 Lb. weaklings can have a refuse to lose attitude. And as for the attitude, it doesn't really matter if you do lose occasionally. You can have a team of super 5 stars but if they're okay with losing, then losing is what they'll accomplish. Attitude is independent of ability.

Uh, OK, I'm going to date Scarlet Johanssen and I refuse her saying "no".

What's it matter if you " refuse to lose" and then go lose?

You have to have the GOODS-i.e., SKILL.  You have to WORK harder than the next guy.  Attitude is pretty much irrelevant, this isn't a Tony Robbins seminar.

Edited by Big Red Commie
2 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

Uh, OK, I'm going to date Scarlet Johanssen and I refuse her saying "no".

What's it matter if you " refuse to lose" and then go lose?

You have to have the GOODS-i.e., SKILL.  You have to WORK harder than the next guy.  Attitude is pretty much irrelevant, this isn't a Tony Robbins seminar.

Wow! That was quick. It usually takes much longer than 2 or 3 posts to figure out when a poster has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Good job and thanks for saving me time and effort.

• Plus1 2
On 10/12/2017 at 5:24 AM, El Diaco said:

Wow! That was quick. It usually takes much longer than 2 or 3 posts to figure out when a poster has absolutely no clue what they're talking about. Good job and thanks for saving me time and effort.

Football isn't politics, you can't win merely with empty slogans.

Maybe instead of "refusing to lose" and then getting blownout, this team could learn to tackle, block, catch the ball and not throw soul crushing pick 6s.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

Football isn't politics, you can't win merely with empty slogans.

Maybe instead of "refusing to lose" and then getting blownout, this team could learn to tackle, block, catch the ball and not throw soul crushing pick 6s.

Attitude and meaningless slogans are not the same thing. I wonder how they are going to learn to tackle, block, catch and throw if they don’t have the right attitude? Attitude is not irrelevant, it’s the basis for everything they need to do and it will determine how hard they work to achieve results. I could give two sh#ts about some refuse to lose slogan but give me a team full of players that actually have the attitude that they aren’t going to lose and will give every fiber of their being to work for it.

Are we on the same page yet?

• Plus1 1