***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

30 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think his coaching acumen is high.  Sievert, TO, Kelly etc...  He has done well at all of his coaching stops.  From Northern Iowa to Oregon to UCF.  First year at UCF ad the best recruit class in the conference.  Statistically the are near the top this year.  He took over a 0-12 program and has turned it around in 2 years.  With another guys kids and implemented his definitive vision if a system.  His staff is composed of guys he's coached with.  He was a NC QB and spent 6 years (IIRC) in the NFL as a DB.  He knows pro style O, option/power O as well as up tempo spread and zone read. He knows what system works in Nebraska and what kind of kids you can recruit to NU. He would bring a definitive, coachable, teachable system that he would recruit specifically for.  He knows the nights single factor to increase your chance of winning on either side of the ball is speed....

He would bring energy and enthusiasm to the state and fan base after years of division.  Really since 2003......Dude is just a winner.  Has the "it" factor.  Could create a system to the kids we have.  Has 2 years of Florida ties and about 4 of west coast ties.  Not to mention the 500 mile radius name recognition...If we don't go after him if we fire Riley, we never will.

You should be in sales, I'm sold. lol

Seriously though, those are all valid points...metrics which should be taken into consideration to be sure. The thing is, it may be a moot point because there is a part of me which honestly wonders if we could even get anyone better than Frost to take this job considering the baggage of the last however many years (fired coaches, AD's, etc.) we aren't exactly  bastion of stability.

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

I give you you one name. Langsdorf. 

Is he the bogeyman of the week? I'd point straight at receivers with wooden hands. They cost NU a bunch of points tonight. Do you think firing Riley and hiring somebody with no reputation outside Nebraska like Frost will get us decent receivers? It ain't ever gonna happen. Frost is just a Pelini substitute, but with more class. Tell me all about how Frost's senior recruiting classes have done. Wait, you can't, because he's been using the recruits of other coaches. Think about that.

5 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

Your "lack of acceptance" is exactly the reason we are now in a state of perpetual rebuilding. The only parameters for a head coach should be quality of hiring staff and acquiring recruits. The idea of a Fearless Leader that somehow makes diamonds out of coal simply doesn't work. It's all about the athletes on the field.

Wow, you are out of touch man.

Bob Stoops

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Pete Carroll

Bob Devaney

Mack Brown

Bobby Bowden

Steve Spurrier

Jim Tressel

Dabo Swinney

Bear Bryant

Chris Peterson

Bill McCartney

Barry Alvarez

Jim Harbaugh

Scott Frost (admit this is a small stretch)

and that's just off the top of my head guys that took over losing programs and won almost immediately.

We get beat, and beat down, and our coach is running off the field tonight laughing and smiling.........WTF does that mean?  What does that send out to our players?  Fan base?

I saw it as apathy.  I saw it as, maybe my time is over here kind of look. It was Wisky, they are elite, its OK to lose like this too them, kind of feeling from my HC.  

AM I wrong?  HE was jovial leaving the field.  ITs ok to lose to Wisky.............F----No its not ok! 

2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Vitalis, you never answered. Do you believe, that give time, MR is capable of returning us to national prominence. Heck do you think he is even capable of winning the Big 10 west?

ABSOLUTELY. It took Tom Osborne 20 years to field a championship team, even after he inherited a national championship squad and all staff from his predecessor. Think about that. People wanted to fire TO for 20 years, and that was in the era when there were just a handful of top team dominating the scene. T.O. had it easy, and it took him 20 years. That's the magic of consistency. 

Just now, Vitalis Jackson said:

Is he the bogeyman of the week? I'd point straight at receivers with wooden hands. They cost NU a bunch of points tonight. Do you think firing Riley and hiring somebody with no reputation outside Nebraska like Frost will get us decent receivers? It ain't ever gonna happen. Frost is just a Pelini substitute, but with more class. Tell me all about how Frost's senior recruiting classes have done. Wait, you can't, because he's been using the recruits of other coaches. Think about that.

No, he's one of the "bogeyman" coaches of MR's entire staff. He's been questionable at best for the entire time. 

And no reputation outside of Nebraska?

Guess what, you can take a chance on a less proven or experienced coach and hope he is the one, or you can stay status quo and continue to get more of what you saw tonight. What it the world makes you think MR I said ever going to be better than he's been his entire career?

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We get beat, and beat down, and our coach is running off the field tonight laughing and smiling.........WTF does that mean?  What does that send out to our players?  Fan base?

I saw it as apathy.  I saw it as, maybe my time is over here kind of look. It was Wisky, they are elite, its OK to lose like this too them, kind of feeling from my HC.  

AM I wrong?  HE was jovial leaving the field.  ITs ok to lose to Wisky.............F----No its not ok! 

The Huskers lost to a much better team with much better talent. All Whiskey had to do was run the ball. It wasn't coaching brilliance; it was consistent talent.

Just now, 3rd and long said:

No, he's one of the "bogeyman" coaches of MR's entire staff. He's been questionable at best for the entire time. 

And no reputation outside of Nebraska?

Guess what, you can take a chance on a less proven or experienced coach and hope he is the one, or you can stay status quo and continue to get more of what you saw tonight. What it the world makes you think MR I said ever going to be better than he's been his entire career?

Go ahead, I don't care. It's your misery.

Is Wisky elite?  I don't think they are that elite.  Great running team.  Great power team, but a good defense that makes them pass the ball, they will not score more than 10 points.  Penn St or Ohio St could or should shut them out.  Your not running against those two teams for 300 yards.

Don't make the Badgers out to be Bama.  They are good, but not great.  No disrespect toward them, they kicked our rears, but we suck.

ABSOLUTELY. It took Tom Osborne 20 years to field a championship team, even after he inherited a national championship squad and all staff from his predecessor. Think about that. People wanted to fire TO for 20 years, and that was in the era when there were just a handful of top team dominating the scene. T.O. had it easy, and it took him 20 years. That's the magic of consistency. 

If you can't discern the difference between TO's teams and MR's teams then there is no use discussing it further with you. 

• Plus1 1

The Huskers lost to a much better team with much better talent. All Whiskey had to do was run the ball. It wasn't coaching brilliance; it was consistent talent.

No, it was absolutely coaching talent.  100% without a doubt coaching talent.  Fundamentals are coaching, matter of fact they are the epitome of great coaching.  Being able to do that as an offensive line is fundamentals.  Foot placement, hands, understanding fronts.  This is all coaching.  Repetition is the key to this in practice, that is coaching.

You don't understand how sports work, maybe just let it go man.

Also, your previous post about 20 years for Nebraska to win a championship under Tom Osborne is a little disingenuous don't you think?  I mean, he never lost a conference game by 3 TDs.  He never won less than 9 games.  Won multiple conference championships and played for at least 2 National Championships before he won his first one.

He didn't lose to NIU in year 3.  He never had a losing season coming off of 9 wins.  Let it go man, its over.

• Plus1 1