***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

15 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

Do you honestly think Scott Frost is the answer?

I don't ask that to imply that he isn't, just curious to know your personal belief.

I think a lot of people are putting their hopes on him, maybe I'm just more conservative than others, but I personally am not "sold" on the idea that he is the answer.

I agree that early returns are awesome, and definitely encouraging, but he is only in year 2, right? I'm just uneasy at the thought of hiring Frost with a body of work that only spans two years. At the end of the day, what does that really tell us?

I think his coaching acumen is high.  Sievert, TO, Kelly etc...  He has done well at all of his coaching stops.  From Northern Iowa to Oregon to UCF.  First year at UCF ad the best recruit class in the conference.  Statistically the are near the top this year.  He took over a 0-12 program and has turned it around in 2 years.  With another guys kids and implemented his definitive vision if a system.  His staff is composed of guys he's coached with.  He was a NC QB and spent 6 years (IIRC) in the NFL as a DB.  He knows pro style O, option/power O as well as up tempo spread and zone read. He knows what system works in Nebraska and what kind of kids you can recruit to NU. He would bring a definitive, coachable, teachable system that he would recruit specifically for.  He knows the nights single factor to increase your chance of winning on either side of the ball is speed....

He would bring energy and enthusiasm to the state and fan base after years of division.  Really since 2003......Dude is just a winner.  Has the "it" factor.  Could create a system to the kids we have.  Has 2 years of Florida ties and about 4 of west coast ties.  Not to mention the 500 mile radius name recognition...If we don't go after him if we fire Riley, we never will.

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

They're not getting here and it's a forfeit?  Cause that's the only way we beat osu (unless re rescheduled and osu is Oregon State)

Just the way Riley is, wins one he shouldn’t,......I think we will get manhandled, but if we miraculously pull the upset, Riley should still “retire”

2 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Just the way Riley is, wins one he shouldn’t,......I think we will get manhandled, but if we miraculously pull the upset, Riley should still “retire”

For me, it;s not all about the W-L, but how you lose. Poor clock management, play calling, getting beaten into submission....dudes gotta go.

13 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We could need to replace all of it.  Players and coaching staff.  I don't see any Husker fire or passion.  Sure, Bucky Badger wore us out.  Sure they have a tremendous running game.  We all knew that.  Like I was saying, this loss goes on everyone though.  

Hey, Harbaugh might be available!

Yes, another "brilliant" idea from a forum poster guy. Great idea. Let's fire this coach and hire some other guy that's a former Husker player to send recruiting back into yet another tailspin. I've said it before, and I'll say it again . . . it's all about recruiting. We need consistency in our program to reliably recruit the best players. This game tonight only illustrated that Whiskey had the best offensive linemen in the Big 10. Our new defensive alignment didn't have the beef yet to compete. They might if we keep our coaching staff in place, but dumb Husker fans are like corporate shareholders. They only look at short term gains and don't plan for the long term. Given the intellect of the most vocal Husker fans, I predict yet another s#!tstorm and another firing on our road to eventual Iowa State status by 2020. 

• Plus1 1

Frost may not be the answer.  Callahan wasn't.  Bo wasn't .  Riley isn't  We went with an ex Superbowl coach, former D-Co who won a few games, and a Mr Rogers like character who has a .500 winning percentage.  Yeah, Frost can't be that bad of an option at this point.

I don't know if he would come here right now.  If not, then I say we are down to limited options.  Kevin Sumlin will get fired at A/M.  He would be a decent get.  He can recruit Texas and Houston area.  Paul Johnson would be nice fit.  Navy coach who is triple option oriented.  Yeah, Frosty is coming to town, or bust!

I believe, unfortunately, we played about as well as this team can play.  We are not good enough and until we upgrade our talent and skil, particularly in the lines, we are not going to improve much.   A great coach can't make us bigger, stronger and faster although he may make us smarter.  

In that we did play our best, Riley probably actually did his job well tonight.   There were several critical play calls that just weren't right but we hit several others.   Overall, we did our best as a team but - we are not good enough to beat Wisconsin more than once in 10 tries.   Next week will be a point spread of maybe 30.   

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Frost may not be the answer.  Callahan wasn't.  Bo wasn't .  Riley isn't  We went with an ex Superbowl coach, former D-Co who won a few games, and a Mr Rogers like character who has a .500 winning percentage.  Yeah, Frost can't be that bad of an option at this point.

I don't know if he would come here right now.  If not, then I say we are down to limited options.  Kevin Sumlin will get fired at A/M.  He would be a decent get.  He can recruit Texas and Houston area.  Paul Johnson would be nice fit.  Navy coach who is triple option oriented.  Yeah, Frosty is coming to town, or bust!

It's all about the talent on the field. If you think that firing Riley will somehow attract recruits, you deserve everything you get. No decent talent will go to such an unstable program that is driven by message board idiots.

4 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Frost = Solich.

2 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

I also think that we have perhaps the worst receiving corps in the Big 10; our best receivers are the youngest ones. Let this staff find some decent players, for god's sake. The veterans fairly suck across the board. Spielman the freshman is by far the best one out there.

So we sacrifice, what, 2 more years? For effort like tonight and NIU? 

Sorry, but that's unacceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

I also think that we have perhaps the worst receiving corps in the Big 10; our best receivers are the youngest ones. Let this staff find some decent players, for god's sake. The veterans fairly suck across the board. Spielman the freshman is by far the best one out there.

I don't think that at all. The problem is, the most important part is ultimately the catch itself and that's too often not happening. But they gave Wisconsin's secondary some serious issue for most of the game.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

So we sacrifice, what, 2 more years? For effort like tonight and NIU? 

Sorry, but that's unacceptable. 

Those aren't remotely comparable games.

3 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

Yes, another "brilliant" idea from a forum poster guy. Great idea. Let's fire this coach and hire some other guy that's a former Husker player to send recruiting back into yet another tailspin. I've said it before, and I'll say it again . . . it's all about recruiting. We need consistency in our program to reliably recruit the best players. This game tonight only illustrated that Whiskey had the best offensive linemen in the Big 10. Our new defensive alignment didn't have the beef yet to compete. They might if we keep our coaching staff in place, but dumb Husker fans are like corporate shareholders. They only look at short term gains and don't plan for the long term. Given the intellect of the most vocal Husker fans, I predict yet another s#!tstorm and another firing on our road to eventual Iowa State status by 2020. 

Yeah, you brilliant one.  Wisky is also on there 3rd HC in a matter of 5 or 6 years and keep on winning.............WTF is your answer to that?

Frost has UCF rolling in year 2.  Had them rolling in year 1 to a bowl game.  Either you can or you can't.  It doesn't take 5 years to see that work out.  You should be able to see that in year1, year 2 and year 3 for sure.  We are not improved.  Our talent does not lend itself to say were going to be conference champs next year...............Its just not showing.  We got beat, manhandled by a team that has at best only Top 30 recruiting classes on average...........is that coaching or hidden gems?  Who had the far superior talent on that field tonight?