With Wisconsin Performance, New Coach Guaranteed?

1 hour ago, lo country said:

No doubt.  That looked like NU of a bygone era.  Now we need to be gone  of an error.

We out recruit every team the West and that's what we get.  A beat down by a better coached team with a scheme stolen straight from NU.  

Langs had no idea how to stop an aggressive D and never has.  3rd and 2 and he gets cute......

Watching Wisky the first few weeks, I really thought we had a chance to win.  Night game, amped up crowd, even Wistrom leading the prayer.....And then reality kicked in.

I feel most sorry for the kids being subjected to the incompetence they have dealt with the past 2.5 years........

I have my doubts about these recruiting rankings. Did we recruit a bunch of "4 star" receivers? Why is there no line depth on either side when they know we're playing in the frozen tundra league? We have just started the BIG games and only have one legit RB left....and they're working him like a rented mule. We're like  one of those frisky teams we used to play that shows a few tricks before being worn down and folding.

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I have my doubts about these recruiting rankings. Did we recruit a bunch of "4 star" receivers? Why is there no line depth on either side when they know we're playing in the frozen tundra league? We have just started the BIG games and only have one legit RB left....and they're working him like a rented mule. We're like one of those one of those frisky teams we used to play that shows a few tricks before being worn down and folding.

Incompetent coaches and the inability to develop talent.  Assistant coaches with awesome catch phrases that don't translate to on the field performance.  Roster mismanagement, recruiting misses etc....Cav can't develop anything.  Langs play calling is horrific at best.  It is really as if Riley and Langs could finally get all the "shiny fancy pieces" they wanted at OSU to "run their system" and its just not working.....It's their coaching.

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you....Like Tre being the starter.  He is a legit talent, but they new from day one he had chronic knee issues.  They burn Jaylin's RS for like 3 touches.....POB in mop up, but not after Lee throws 2 pic 6 in one game.....

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Incompetent coaches and the inability to develop talent.  Assistant coaches with awesome catch phrases that don't translate to on the field performance.  Roster mismanagement, recruiting misses etc....Cav can't develop anything.  Langs play calling is horrific at best.  It is really as if Riley and Langs could finally get all the "shiny fancy pieces" they wanted at OSU to "run their system" and its just not working.....It's their coaching.

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you....Like Tre being the starter.  He is a legit talent, but they new from day one he had chronic knee issues.  They burn Jaylin's RS for like 3 touches.....POB in mop up, but not after Lee throws 2 pic 6 in one game.....

I've always thought this, but even more than ever now......college ball's main challenge is the time constraints. Good college coaches have a system that makes the best use of everyone's limited practice time. Longevity just helps the new guys hit the ground running and work toward that system while they're waiting to be plugged in. We haven't had that for a while but we know what it looks like.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Well, that's not how college football works. Firing mid-season is more and more common. It allows for you to get a jump on available candidates. 

I hope that doesn't happen, I kind of think that is against the Nebraska way. 

The  Nebraska way?  We are so far gone from the Nebraska way, we may never find it again.

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Why all the angst over this loss?

How many people on this board actually thought we were going to win? I wanted us to win, I just didn't think it was going to happen.

It's not angst over this loss, it's angst over what we've seen from the last three years under Riley. The product is trending downward

• Plus1 4

Riley was hired to compete with the conferences best teams such as Ohio State and Wisconsin and also hired to win division, and conference championships. He hasn't come close to achieving any of this in year 3. Not even trying to bash Riley and Co, but this team has regressed greatly. We got humiliated last night, Wisconsin gave us their game plan for the rest of the game after their pick 6 by running it 28/30 times and we not only couldn't stop them, but we got taken behind the woodshed. I mean, really, it was embarrassing.

The unfortunate deal is this weekend is going to be even worse. Ohio State will show us no mercy. Urban Meyer does not have class like Chryst does and after beating us by almost 60 last year I am sure a 1 loss Ohio State will look to beat us like they have everyone else besides Oklahoma. Then it doesn't get any better for us because Penn state is on the horizon and Barkley is going to just give it to us. After the slow start to this season I thought Riley would get his once a year upset victory against the Nittany Lions, but after last nights performance that ain't happening.

What is our record now? 4-3? I don't even know, I don't even care, we are losing to Ohio State, Penn State for sure, probably losses to Purdue and Iowa. Coach Riley is a nice guy and all, it really sucks for all involved this didn't work out, but lets face the truth here and realize it is time to move on.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan92 said:

It's not angst over this loss, it's angst over what we've seen from the last three years under Riley. The product is trending downward

Exactly, his overall record now while at Nebraska is 18-14 and B1G record is 11-9. Most of those wins in conference coming from the lower teams in the B1G. He currently has 4 games above .500 as his overall record at Nebraska thanks to the likes of some weaker non conference games and playing the bottom teams of the B1G, in other words, getting some cupcake victories as his biggest win is against Michigan State?

Basically, we have been mediocre, we have regressed in year 3, and there is no hope for great improvement with this current staff.

• Plus1 1

I've defended HCMR to the death on these threads from people who just call for every coach's head at the end of every game. 

Meh. I'm off the band wagon. Give me someone else, anyone else. 

The kiss of death - our fan base is so goddamn stuck in the 90s we ran a good coach out of town. I'd give anything to win 9 games a year again. 

• Plus1 1

After Riley gets steam rolled by Ohio st. And he will. Fire him. I don't care if the head janitor for the stadium coaches the team the rest of the year. Fire him and start the process of hiring Frost. Pay him 7+ million if you have to. We need a proven winner and leader and Frost is that and more. This isn't a hard decision anymore

• Plus1 2