Current players vs. Future Players - best Power Five offers

knapplc

We need more threads like this on huskerboard.

This might be a little bit simplistic, but I think another thing that we can say is that Riley's first two classes that reached the .87 mark might have gotten inflated at the skill positions, while where we really needed the star power was at offensive line. 

Then as also mentioned in this thread, Riley had a bit of a reluctance to play some of the younger guys in year one to get them ready. There were pros and cons in the moment, but now they feel like practically 100% cons in hindsight. Not a good situation to be in.

19 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Only thing I think of when I see that list is "man Alabama dodged a bullet when Knevel signed here". 

Wow.

I wish we could move away from making comments like this on this board. There are other ways of phrasing that sentence to get your point across.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great quote from Rimmington this morning on the radio when he was talking about the walk-on program.

He told a story about someone coming up to him the other day and said, "We have too many walk-ons".  He told the guy, "that's no the walk-on's fault.  That's a scholarship player's fault".

So true too. 

17 hours ago, Isle of View said:

Not if our five had several years with the Wisconsin staff and their five had several years with our staff.

According to 24/7, here's what Wisconsin started on the O-line:

Biadasz 3* .8405

Dietzen 3* .8898

Edwards 3* .8600

Deiter 3* .8328

Benzschawel 3* .8144

Nebraska started:

Jaimes 3* .8797

Decker 3* .8543

Farmer 4* .9021

Gates 4* .8929

Foster 3* .8874

The same thing Wisconsin has done forever, recruit big, physical linemen who want to play and coach them up. It's bigger than star power.

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Only thing I think of when I see that list is "man Alabama dodged a bullet when Knevel signed here". As far as recruiting comparisons for Mike and Bo the one thing I haven't really said during Mike's tenure is "why the hell are we offering this kid?".  Seemed to happen for at least 3 kids a year for Bo 

You're assuming Knevel wouldn't be a star if he was coached at Alabama.

11 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Wow talk about a creative narrative.  Helfrich played in the national championship game did he not?

Helfrich also suffered from the recruiting violation penalties imposed on the program due to Chip Kelly's use of Street Agents to find "emotional players". 

He had to clean up the mess his predecessor left behind.  Chip was smart to get out, he knew exactly where the program was heading once his under the table supply of talent was put to an end.

1 scholarship per year for 3 years. He didn't have to clean up anything. 

Helfrich leaned heavily on Mariota being a phenom and talent around him. He couldn't bring in that same talent or develop any kind of qb. Attitudes got stale under Helfrich. Do some homework. You'll find the quotes from players.