Racism - It's a real thing.

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

An officer criticized for his remarks is no longer a spokesman on the case

A sheriff’s deputy will no longer serve as his agency’s spokesman for the investigation into the Atlanta-area spa shootings after he drew criticism for saying that the suspect in the attacks had “a really bad day” before the shootings, and for anti-Asian Facebook posts that he made last year.

The deputy, Capt. Jay Baker, was no longer speaking on behalf of the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office on the shooting, according to a spokeswoman for the county. The spokeswoman, Erika Neldner, said in a text message on Thursday that she would be taking over the communications duties in the case.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Captain Baker discussed the frame of mind of the man charged with eight counts of murder in Tuesday’s shootings. He said that the suspect, Robert Aaron Long, 21, of Woodstock, Ga., had understood the gravity of his actions when he was interviewed by investigators.

“He was pretty much fed up and had been kind of at the end of his rope,” Captain Baker said. “Yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did.”

The comments were widely panned on social media, with critics characterizing them as callous and pointing to Facebook posts from March 30 and April 2 of last year by Captain Baker, in which he promoted sales of an anti-Asian T-shirt. The shirts, echoing the rhetoric of President Donald J. Trump, referred to the coronavirus as an “imported virus from Chy-na.”

“Place your order while they last,” Captain Baker wrote at the time in one of the posts. He did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday and Thursday.

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

An officer criticized for his remarks is no longer a spokesman on the case

A sheriff’s deputy will no longer serve as his agency’s spokesman for the investigation into the Atlanta-area spa shootings after he drew criticism for saying that the suspect in the attacks had “a really bad day” before the shootings, and for anti-Asian Facebook posts that he made last year.

The deputy, Capt. Jay Baker, was no longer speaking on behalf of the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office on the shooting, according to a spokeswoman for the county. The spokeswoman, Erika Neldner, said in a text message on Thursday that she would be taking over the communications duties in the case.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Captain Baker discussed the frame of mind of the man charged with eight counts of murder in Tuesday’s shootings. He said that the suspect, Robert Aaron Long, 21, of Woodstock, Ga., had understood the gravity of his actions when he was interviewed by investigators.

“He was pretty much fed up and had been kind of at the end of his rope,” Captain Baker said. “Yesterday was a really bad day for him, and this is what he did.”

The comments were widely panned on social media, with critics characterizing them as callous and pointing to Facebook posts from March 30 and April 2 of last year by Captain Baker, in which he promoted sales of an anti-Asian T-shirt. The shirts, echoing the rhetoric of President Donald J. Trump, referred to the coronavirus as an “imported virus from Chy-na.”

“Place your order while they last,” Captain Baker wrote at the time in one of the posts. He did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday and Thursday.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Cop Who Said Spa Shooter Wasn’t Racist Against Asians Had Promoted Racism Himself

HuffPost independently verified that Baker used his Facebook account on March 30 to promote T-shirts from a company called Deadline Apparel. The officer shared a post by the company advertising a new T-shirt design that reads “Covid 19” in the style of the Corona beer logo, with “Imported virus from Chy-na” under it. Baker wrote in his post, “Place your order while they last,” with a smiling emoji.

A screenshot of Cherokee County sheriff's Capt. Jay Baker promoting a T-shirt with a design insulting to the Asian community.

Sanjana Karanth/HuffPost

A screenshot of Cherokee County sheriff’s Capt. Jay Baker promoting a T-shirt with a design insulting to the Asian community.

A separate April 2 post saying Baker bought the shirt has since been deleted, but screenshots of it were still circulating.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cop Who Said Spa Shooter Wasn’t Racist Against Asians Had Promoted Racism Himself

HuffPost independently verified that Baker used his Facebook account on March 30 to promote T-shirts from a company called Deadline Apparel. The officer shared a post by the company advertising a new T-shirt design that reads “Covid 19” in the style of the Corona beer logo, with “Imported virus from Chy-na” under it. Baker wrote in his post, “Place your order while they last,” with a smiling emoji.

A screenshot of Cherokee County sheriff's Capt. Jay Baker promoting a T-shirt with a design insulting to the Asian community.

Sanjana Karanth/HuffPost

A screenshot of Cherokee County sheriff’s Capt. Jay Baker promoting a T-shirt with a design insulting to the Asian community.

A separate April 2 post saying Baker bought the shirt has since been deleted, but screenshots of it were still circulating.

I just watched the video in the Tweet.  It was very poorly paraphrased, but the spokesman was pretty clear that he was relaying what the shooter had told investigators.  Kinda pointless at this juncture, imo.

But this briefing answer has nothing to do with his FB post about a t-shirt.  Isn't it possible that he did nothing wrong in the briefing, BUT did have a questionable history on social media?

Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time in this thread.  But it seems like there is more outrage about this cop being racist against Asians than the guy who shot them...

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I just watched the video in the Tweet.  It was very poorly paraphrased, but the spokesman was pretty clear that he was relaying what the shooter had told investigators.  Kinda pointless at this juncture, imo.

But this briefing answer has nothing to do with his FB post about a t-shirt.  Isn't it possible that he did nothing wrong in the briefing, BUT did have a questionable history on social media?

Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time in this thread.  But it seems like there is more outrage about this cop being racist against Asians than the guy who shot them...

The question is where do we draw the line? ESPECIALLY when it comes to law enforcement.

Is this dude racist? Dunno. Not making a call. But has he done some really questionable things? YUP. And that should be looked at with a glaring bright light and not glossed over.

I mean... we know white supremacists have, as a policy, focused on gaining access to law enforcement. And here's this dude doing A and saying B.

We ignore that, that's just begging for all these problems to perpetuate. We don't ignore that, maybe we just find out this dude made some dumb jokes in his past.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant for this stuff.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

The question is where do we draw the line? ESPECIALLY when it comes to law enforcement.

Is this dude racist? Dunno. Not making a call. But has he done some really questionable things? YUP. And that should be looked at with a glaring bright light and not glossed over.

I mean... we know white supremacists have, as a policy, focused on gaining access to law enforcement. And here's this dude doing A and saying B.

We ignore that, that's just begging for all these problems to perpetuate. We don't ignore that, maybe we just find out this dude made some dumb jokes in his past.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant for this stuff.

His social media post is very stupid, racist or not.  A public employee, any adult actually, should be very thoughtful about what they share on social media.

My comment was in regards to his press briefing.  Why anyone would associate that with past “racist” behaviors was beyond me.

I get why people are bashing him over Facebook.  I just don’t get the angst over his “had a bad day” comment.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, funhusker said:

His social media post is very stupid, racist or not.  A public employee, any adult actually, should be very thoughtful about what they share on social media.

My comment was in regards to his press briefing.  Why anyone would associate that with past “racist” behaviors was beyond me.

I get why people are bashing him over Facebook.  I just don’t get the angst over his “had a bad day” comment.

I feel like the question was brought up because people are (understandably) sensitive about mass shootings, especially when there's a race angle associated with them.

And then this guy with known questionable public statements says something a bit exculpatory.

Is the cop dude racist? Dunno.

Was the shooty dude's motivation racist? Dunno.

But to preemptively wash everything clean without looking into it?

Yeah, kinda know that's not OK either.

• Plus1 1

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/23/you-little-asian-girl-beauty-store-owner-attacked-by-customer-in-north-harris-county/

‘You little Asian girl’: Beauty supply store owner says racial insults hurled at her during attack by customer

“They started saying something like some racial words like, ‘Asian people shouldn’t be in the Black market,’” Lee said. “We’re stealing their money.”

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

https://jabberwocking.com/anti-black-hate-crimes-have-plummeted-in-the-us/

Raw Data: Anti-Black Hate Crimes Have Plummeted in the US

I have been accused—rightfully—of constantly telling you that things are better than you think. The reason is simple: Whenever I look into something, it very often turns out to be better than the media focus would have us believe. It wasn't my intention to find yet another example when I dug up these numbers, but I'm not really surprised any longer when that's the way it turns out.”

• Plus1 1