Racism - It's a real thing.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Racism is a learned trait, it's not genetic.  This isn't disputable.  I'm not sure who you're arguing this point against.

I'm betting the paretns are at least semi racist, but more than likely the kids are wannabe racists because being racist in a predominantly white small town school is viewed as "cool" to some adolescents.  This isn't a game or a prank.  It's them thinking it's funny and a way to get attention.  They know it's bad, like really bad and they did it anyway for shock value.

Now, again, this is a completely different situation than some people taking an age old hand gesture a certain way because a bunch of racists recently adopted it in a small circle.

Wrapping my head around this post here. You say kids think its funny to be racist and they are trying to get attention. You also say the ok sign has been adopted by a bunch of racists. So isn't it plausible kids can see that the ok has been adopted by racists and try to get attention in the same way the kids who wore the KKK outfits did? 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wrapping my head around this post here. You say kids think its funny to be racist and they are trying to get attention. You also say the ok sign has been adopted by a bunch of racists. So isn't it plausible kids can see that the ok has been adopted by racists and try to get attention in the same way the kids who wore the KKK outfits did? 

Comparing a hand gesture that has never been racist until a few people recently decided it was, is NOT the same thing as a couple of punk hicks trying to get attention by wearing Klansmen robes.

The fact this even needs to be said is unbelievable and if you and others can't tell the difference, I honestly don't even know what to say to you.

• Thanks 2
Just now, Redux said:

Comparing a hand gesture that has never been racist until a few people recently decided it was, is NOT the same thing as a couple of punk hicks trying to get attention by wearing Klansmen robes.

The fact this even needs to be said is unbelievable and if you and others can't tell the difference, I honestly don't even know what to say to you.

i dont see anyone saying nthe 2 situations are the same except you.   :dunno

Just now, Redux said:

I'm not saying they are comparable, what I'm saying is if racists are using the hand gesture in a racist way and kids like to be racist to get attention is it not plausible they could use the hand gesture in a racist way? It's very plausible to me, especially considering the plausible deniability the hand gesture gives you. Kids don't like to face consequences, especially for being racist.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not saying they are comparable, what I'm saying is if racists are using the hand gesture in a racist way and kids like to be racist to get attention is it not plausible they could use the hand gesture in a racist way? It's very plausible to me, especially considering the plausible deniability the hand gesture gives you. Kids don't like to face consequences, especially for being racist.

No, it's not plausible.  Not everything is racist by association.  If the racists decide they like Nebraska Football, does that make wearing a Husker shirt racist?  This is a counterproductive way of looking at the situation and only gives them what they want.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, commando said:

i dont see anyone saying nthe 2 situations are the same except you. 

Do you just make open ended statements in hopes of a disagreement?  Your whole ignore it sarcastic comment was a clear nod to the okay gesture argument from the other day.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, it's not plausible.  Not everything is racist by association.  If the racists decide they like Nebraska Football, does that make wearing a Husker shirt racist?  This is a counterproductive way of looking at the situation and only gives them what they want.

So racist kids can not see that racist are using the symbol and also use it in a racist way, got it.

You literally admitted racists adopted the symbol. Are the racists not being racist?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

So racist kids can not see that racist are using the symbol and also use it in a racist way, got it.

:facepalm:

Yes, that's clearly the point I was making.

:sarcasm

Do you think the world would really be better off if EVERY time some a$$h@!es decided "Hey, this stupid simple thing that's never been bad...yeah we are going to do it now and tell people it's meant to be racist!", we just cave and let them have it?  Is that really the best course of action?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Redux said:

:facepalm:

Yes, that's clearly the point I was making.

Do you think the world would really be better off if EVERY time some a$$h@!es decided "Hey, this stupid simple thing that's never been bad...yeah we are going to do it now and tell people it's meant to be racist!", we just cave and let them have it?  Is that really the best course of action?

If racists are doing something with the intent of being racist it is racist is it not? 

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If racists are doing something with the intent of being racist it is racist is it not? 

No, simply doing an action that has no history of being racist does not make that action rasist.  Is adopting a Highway racist?  The KKK has done that a bunch of times.  Are all rally's racist?  White supremacists have those, does that make every rally racist?

I googled the ok hand gesture, 2nd link that pops up divulges that this particular silly notion was started by 4chan trolls....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/12/16/how-okay-hand-sign-keeps-tricking-us-into-looking/%3foutputType=amp

If a bunch of skinheads start doing the thumbs up tomorrow and say "We are using this as a racist symbol now" will you never give someone a thumbs up again?  No, and to claim otherwise is just silly.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

If a bunch of skinheads start doing the thumbs up tomorrow and say "We are using this as a racist symbol now" will you never give someone a thumbs up again?  No, and to claim otherwise is just silly.

No and that isn't what I'm saying. Are the skinheads not being racist in that scenario? That's what I'm saying. Obviously the thumbs up sign isn't racist, but if racist people are using it saying I'm being racist right now, then they are in fact being racist.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Redux said:

Do you just make open ended statements in hopes of a disagreement?  Your whole ignore it sarcastic comment was a clear nod to the okay gesture argument from the other day.

i get it.  you think the ok sign is never meant as a racist gesture because its a harmless game from your childhood.   i think it can be meant to be racist.    we can agree to disagree on that fact.    no need to get triggered by it by either 1 of us.      

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No and that isn't what I'm saying. Are the skinheads not being racist in that scenario? That's what I'm saying. Obviously the thumbs up sign isn't racist, but if racist people are using it saying I'm being racist right now, then they are in fact being racist.

They were racist to begin with. Doing a harmless hand gesture doesn't change that in any shape or form.  Conceding to them and giving them a new way to be racist is counterproductive.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, commando said:

i get it.  you think the ok sign is never meant as a racist gesture because its a harmless game from your childhood.   i think it can be meant to be racist.    we can agree to disagree on that fact.    no need to get triggered by it by either 1 of us.      

Has nothing to so with childhood games and everything to do with the fact a bunch of cancel culture trigger saps got fooled by trolls on 4chan i to thinking it was a Nazi gang sign and so many people were dumb enough to believe it that now it's somehow been given to them as a new racist hand gesture.  Do you seriously not see the stupidity of this line of thinking?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Has nothing to so with childhood games and everything to do with the fact a bunch of cancel culture trigger saps got fooled by trolls on 4chan i to thinking it was a Nazi gang sign and so many people were dumb enough to believe it that now it's somehow been given to them as a new racist hand gesture.  Do you seriously not see the stupidity of this line of thinking?

do you deny that actual racists are actually using this sign as a racists gesture?  it started as some sort of joke......but it has taken on a life of its ownm.    it's not the first time something innocent and good has been hijacked by the goons.