Racism - It's a real thing.

3 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

There is a gang in California that uses the Nebraska logo as it's symbol. So that must mean that everyone who wears Nebraska gear is a gangster.

There is also the NIKE gang here in Omaha that is made up of 5 sets...so I guess that means if you have any NIKE stuff you are a gangster...

If you remember back in the late 80's and early 90's...Starter Jackets were a big gang thing too.

5 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

There is a gang in California that uses the Nebraska logo as it's symbol. So that must mean that everyone who wears Nebraska gear is a gangster.

At any point has anyone argued that the ok symbol is racist no matter what now? No not at all. What I have argued also applies to this circumstance. The nebraska logo doesn't make everyone who wears it a gangster but people can in fact use the symbol to show they are in a gang. 

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

At any point has anyone argued that the ok symbol is racist no matter what now? No not at all. What I have argued also applies to this circumstance. The nebraska logo doesn't make everyone who wears it a gangster but people can in fact use the symbol to show they are in a gang. 

i am starting to think people have been talking past each other.  1 side says sometimes it's a racists sign and the other side is hearing that it's always a racists sign.    the other side is saying it usually isn't a racist sign...and some are hearing that it's never a racist sign.  is that close to what's happening here?   or are we arguing over whether it is always or never a racist sign?  

9 minutes ago, commando said:

i am starting to think people have been talking past each other.  1 side says sometimes it's a racists sign and the other side is hearing that it's always a racists sign.    the other side is saying it usually isn't a racist sign...and some are hearing that it's never a racist sign.  is that close to what's happening here?   or are we arguing over whether it is always or never a racist sign?  

The issue I'm having is people saying only known white supremacists can use the sign in a racist way. If the person isn't already known to be a white supremacists then the symbol isn't racist is the argument I disagree with. I think people can be racist and use the symbol in a racist way even if we didn't know that they were racist before.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

The issue I'm having is people saying only known white supremacists can use the sign in a racist way. If the person isn't already known to be a white supremacists then the symbol isn't racist is the argument I disagree with. I think people can be racist and use the symbol in a racist way even if we didn't know that they were racist before.

i agree with that.  

i've never heard anyone say it's always a racist sign. I have seen many jump to the incorrect conclusion that a specific instance of it was racist that wasn't. Outside of this board, I've seen a general enthusiasm and desire to quickly identify specific instances as racist although there's no evidence of such. 

Didn't say that either. I just said it's a useful enough operating perspective to have which will lead you to the right conclusion the vast majority of the time. 

So you see a random person giving the ok sign, do you assume he's a racist, or do you give him the benefit of the doubt? 

• Plus1 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:09 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Wrapping my head around this post here. You say kids think its funny to be racist and they are trying to get attention. You also say the ok sign has been adopted by a bunch of racists. So isn't it plausible kids can see that the ok has been adopted by racists and try to get attention in the same way the kids who wore the KKK outfits did? 

To be clear, this is where the disagreement started up again. I would say it is entirely plausible and I'm unsure how anyone could disagree with that. But here we are.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It would depend on the context but most of the time I would assume they are saying ok 

I agree. I just fear that people will accuse anyone who uses the sign without knowing the context. That will just divide the country even more than we already are.

• Plus1 1