Racism - It's a real thing.

1 minute ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Nope, I'm racist, I get it, wouldn't matter what I'd post anyways. ;) You guys won't change your mind and haven't for years in this section of the board which is why I stayed out of it for years. Plenty of agencies looking for help and applicants so if you're willing to change our "racist culture" please pick up an app. :thumbs

Looks to me like you are the one not willing to change your mind. No one is calling you racist. All that is being said is there is a problem that needs to be acknowledged and addressed. Your own article acknowledges racism exists in law enforcement, why can't you? 

1 minute ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I mean if an FBI study isn't credible....... whatever. People like to use very liberal articles to try and prove their point so I'll do the same I suppose. It's all subjective anyways lol

He doesn't even include where to the "FBI data" comes from in his article. Its the equivalent of me saying:

*FBI data says cops are racist and kill black men at a 1000x higher proportion to their white counterparts. 

That's great that he says its from the FBI, but if I can't even look up where his data comes from its useless. The source is useless. And you're right people on the left do the same thing, this was just an egregious case and a huge pet peeve of mine. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to pose a question to anyone who doesn't think systematic racism isn't an issue today. When did the systematic racism end? Obviously there was systematic racism in place up until at least the mid 60s. Did systematic racism disappear after that? When did it stop if it no longer exists? 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Looks to me like you are the one not willing to change your mind. No one is calling you racist. All that is being said is there is a problem that needs to be acknowledged and addressed. Your own article acknowledges racism exists in law enforcement, why can't you? 

I will chime in here and stick up for him even though he doesn't need my help.  Why can't he?  Because he feels like your mind is made up and that you are attacking him.  I don't blame him.  I don't think you are attacking him but I can see why he would feel that way.  He is probably a good cop and does a good job and treats people fairly...but that isn't really what you want to hear.  You want him to tell you why cops are "bad" but his answer is the same as my answer.  Because some people are a$$h@!es.

I can't name one line of work that doesn't have racists and bigots and homophobes and a$$h@!es and dicks and b!^@hes...Not one.

I don't know what line of work you are in BUT I would be willing to bet that your line of work has as many if not more racists, bigots sexists and a$$h@!es in it than his does.

The difference is, his profession results in tickets and arrests and sometimes shootings.  Yours involves "certain people" not getting hired or promoted or a raise.  Or certain people getting laid off first or harassed at work.

So, does racism exist in your line of work?  My guess is that you will say you have never "seen" it and that is fair, you probably never have.  I bet he has never seen it either, except on videos that make the news.  

I have seen it in my profession.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Actually the article states racism exists everywhere so....

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I will chime in here and stick up for him even though he doesn't need my help.  Why can't he?  Because he feels like your mind is made up and that you are attacking him.  I don't blame him.  I don't think you are attacking him but I can see why he would feel that way.  He is probably a good cop and does a good job and treats people fairly...but that isn't really what you want to hear.  You want him to tell you why cops are "bad" but his answer is the same as my answer.  Because some people are a$$h@!es.

I can't name one line of work that doesn't have racists and bigots and homophobes and a$$h@!es and dicks and b!^@hes...Not one.

I don't know what line of work you are in BUT I would be willing to bet that your line of work has as many if not more racists, bigots sexists and a$$h@!es in it than his does.

The difference is, his profession results in tickets and arrests and sometimes shootings.  Yours involves "certain people" not getting hired or promoted or a raise.  Or certain people getting laid off first or harassed at work.

So, does racism exist in your line of work?  My guess is that you will say you have never "seen" it and that is fair, you probably never have.  I bet he has never seen it either, except on videos that make the news.  

I have seen it in my profession.  

Racism certainly exists in my line of work. But you are right in that their is a difference between my line of work and law enforcement. Law enforcement has power to affect peoples lives more than almost any other profession. That's why racial bias in law enforcement is such a big issue, because it effects people in a big way. That's not to say there isn't discrimination in every other aspect of our society. There certainly is. What gets me is his failure to acknowledge its existence. He can do the best job in the world, that doesn't mean the system he performs that job in is perfect or free of racial bias.

Edit: I'd say housing discrimination is a close second as far as effect on peoples lives. Never did I say racism was confined to law enforcement or that is the only issue to worry about. 

3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Actually the article states racism exists everywhere so....

So you admit racism exists within law enforcement then

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Racism certainly exists in my line of work. But you are right in that their is a difference between my line of work and law enforcement. Law enforcement has power to affect peoples lives more than almost any other profession. That's why racial bias in law enforcement is such a big issue, because it effects people in a big way. That's not to say there isn't discrimination in every other aspect of our society. There certainly is. What gets me is his failure to acknowledge its existence. He can do the best job in the world, that doesn't mean the system he performs that job in is perfect or free of racial bias.

So my question to you is...if you know racism exists in your line of work, what are you doing about it?  Why are you not sending out petitions at your work to wake up the work force and change their ways?  Why are you not quitting your job unless changes are made?  How come you don't call the local news and explain the issues of racism at your work in your industry?  Or do you do all of that?

I know why I don't do it...because I am a sissy and I want to keep my job.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Edit: I'd say housing discrimination is a close second as far as effect on peoples lives. Never did I say racism was confined to law enforcement or that is the only issue to worry about. 

Nope, because you're trying to stick it just to law enforcement and that's supposed to be wayyyy worse than racism just existing. Are you willing to admit that you yourself are racist on some level? 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So my question to you is...if you know racism exists in your line of work, what are you doing about it?  Why are you not sending out petitions at your work to wake up the work force and change their ways?  Why are you not quitting your job unless changes are made?  How come you don't call the local news and explain the issues of racism at your work in your industry?  Or do you do all of that?

I know why I don't do it...because I am a sissy and I want to keep my job.

Just because it exists in my line of work doesn't mean it exists where I work lol currently I'm a server at a African American owned restaurant. I've worked at restaurants where every single employee was white, and that's in south MS. Definitely something there but what can you really say? You aren't hiring any African Americans and that is racist may be true but can easily be combatted with a bevy of excuses. That doesn't mean nothing should be done but honestly I don't have the power or the knowledge right now. I do what I can to help by attending events and listening to others point of view but I am too ignorant to be a leader on this issue at the moment. I dont know the way forward I just want to help and be as informed as possible.

8 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Nope, because you're trying to stick it just to law enforcement and that's supposed to be wayyyy worse than racism just existing. Are you willing to admit that you yourself are racist on some level? 

No I'm not. I'm acknowledging the issue at hand and the gravity of said issue. Law enforcement having racial bias is worse than most other areas of our society having racial bias because of the power law enforcement wields. And yes, I am willing to admit that I have racial bias. You'd be lying if you said you didn't have racial bias. But I take the time to learn and listen to others experiences and that has done alot to reduce my ignorance 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just because it exists in my line of work doesn't mean it exists where I work lol currently I'm a server at a African American owned restaurant. I've worked at restaurants where every single employee was white, and that's in south MS. Definitely something there but what can you really say? You aren't hiring any African Americans and that is racist may be true but can easily be combatted with a bevy of excuses. That doesn't mean nothing should be done but honestly I don't have the power or the knowledge right now. I do what I can to help by attending events and listening to others point of view but I am too ignorant to be a leader on this issue at the moment. I dont know the way forward I just want to help and be as informed as possible.

Honestly, I don't think you say or do anything...I want to keep my job!

Seems like neither side wants to have an honest discussion here. 

There are very obviously issue with law enforcement and how they treat the African American population. To deny that is to deny history, data, and reality. At the same time it's pretty obvious that not all cops are bad, and most are respectable people. With a little more thought it's also clear that even good cops can fall victim to stereotypes and generalizations that put them in to bad situations. Your training literally teaches you to be "fearful" and judge people by their appearance to protect yourself and the community. You probably police based on statistics, but those statistics become a self fulfilling prophecy when you constantly go after the same areas again and again.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Seems like neither side wants to have an honest discussion here. 

There are very obviously issue with law enforcement and how they treat the African American population. To deny that is to deny history, data, and reality. At the same time it's pretty obvious that not all cops are bad, and most are respectable people. With a little more thought it's also clear that even good cops can fall victim to stereotypes and generalizations that put them in to bad situations. Your training literally teaches you to be "fearful" and judge people by their appearance to protect yourself and the community. You probably police based on statistics, but those statistics become a self fulfilling prophecy when you constantly go after the same areas again and again.

I don't think I've been arguing anything other than what you just stated. There is obviously an issue. That doesn't mean cops are racist pigs. All it means is there is an issue that should be acknowledged and addressed. This goes for any part of society that racism effects, but law enforcement is such a hot button issue because peoples lives are at stake in a very literal sense.