Racism - It's a real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

@BIGREDIOWAN 

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

Just curious is it the courts fault unarmed african americans are shot and killed at a higher rate compared to their population? Is it the courts fault in video game simulations cops are more likely to shoot African American suspects first? Is it the courts fault African Americans are arrested at a much higher rate than their peers for cannabis possession? Yea I dont think the court has a hand in any of those things.

12 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

From that link:

Listen.  I’m not suggesting racism doesn’t exist in law enforcement.  It exists everywhere – that’s the sad truth of it.

And yes, black people in the United States are more likely to be victims of violent confrontations with police officers (per capita) than their white counterparts. 
But let’s dive deeper into why this is.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

That article is terribly sourced and obviously biased, but even if we take everything there at face value it still doesn't explain disproportionate arrests for drugs, disproportionate vehicle stops and disproportionate unarmed shootings. We also have to take other things into consideration such as racist comments made by police and the growing trend of police Facebook groups with racist rhetoric posted throughout the page. On top of this, there are other forms of law enforcement such as ICE who have their own racial problems. You clearly think there is some form of systematic racism in the courts which I would agree with, why can't you acknowledge it happens at the law enforcement level as well? To say there isn't a systematic problem is to ignore the facts. If you read my article you would see that not all arrests and killings can be attributed to higher crime rates, there is more at play. Ultimately, the system is biased against people of color, specifically African Americans and there is ample evidence of this. That doesn't mean cops are racist pigs who like to kill people of color, it means there is a problem that we should address.

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

@BIGREDIOWAN 

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

Just curious is it the courts fault unarmed african americans are shot and killed at a higher rate compared to their population? Is it the courts fault in video game simulations cops are more likely to shoot African American suspects first? Is it the courts fault African Americans are arrested at a much higher rate than their peers for cannabis possession? Yea I dont think the court has a hand in any of those things.

Is it the cops fault that african americans tend to have a cultural problem and are more inclined to break the law coming into contact with law enforcement more due to poor decisions? See my article as proof from the FBI study. Or are the cops just supposed to not enforce the laws on African Americans because their feelings get hurt and their excuse is racism and the world being against them and it's just unfair. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Really? Law enforcement today as a source when discussing police brutality? That's like asking Larry Coker who the greatest team of all time was. I'm not gonna argue with you about the point you're trying to make - but that article has zero credibility.  Dude who wrote the article didn't even use any citations. 

https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=30276

^ Here are some good tips on how to tell if the website you are using is a credible source. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That article is terribly sourced and obviously biased, but even if we take everything there at face value it still doesn't explain disproportionate arrests for drugs, disproportionate vehicle stops and disproportionate unarmed shootings. We also have to take other things into consideration such as racist comments made by police and the growing trend of police Facebook groups with racist rhetoric posted throughout the page. On top of this, there are other forms of law enforcement such as ICE who have their own racial problems. You clearly think there is some form of systematic racism in the courts which I would agree with, why can't you acknowledge it happens at the law enforcement level as well? To say there isn't a systematic problem is to ignore the facts. If you read my article you would see that not all arrests and killings can be attributed to higher crime rates, there is more at play. Ultimately, the system is biased against people of color, specifically African Americans and there is ample evidence of this. That doesn't mean cops are racist pigs who like to kill people of color, it means there is a problem that we should address.

I'd counter argue that anything from Vox is also biased especially towards law enforcement. ;)

• Plus1 1

Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Is it the cops fault that african americans tend to have a cultural problem and are more inclined to break the law coming into contact with law enforcement more due to poor decisions? See my article as proof from the FBI study. Or are the cops just supposed to not enforce the laws on African Americans because their feelings get hurt and their excuse is racism and the world being against them and it's just unfair. 

White people and black people smoke weed at the same rate yet black people are arrested at a higher rate. To me it seems like the culture problem exists within law enforcement. Why aren't white people arrested at the same rate when culturally they behave the same in this instance? 

1 minute ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'd counter argue that anything from Vox is also biased especially towards law enforcement. ;)

At least Vox cited their sources...

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Really? Law enforcement today as a source when discussing police brutality? That's like asking Larry Coker who the greatest team of all time was. I'm not gonna argue with you about the point you're trying to make - but that article has zero credibility.  Dude who wrote the article didn't even use any citations. 

https://uknowit.uwgb.edu/page.php?id=30276

^ Here are some good tips on how to tell if the website you are using is a credible source. 

I mean if an FBI study isn't credible....... whatever. People like to use very liberal articles to try and prove their point so I'll do the same I suppose. It's all subjective anyways lol

• Plus1 1
Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I mean if an FBI study isn't credible....... whatever. People like to use very liberal articles to try and prove their point so I'll do the same I suppose. It's all subjective anyways lol

It's not subjective. There is racial bias in the law enforcement system. Care to explain why black motorists are more likely to be pulled over? Is it because of their culture to break the law?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/us/police-stops-race-stanford-study-trnd/index.html

Nope, I'm racist, I get it, wouldn't matter what I'd post anyways. ;) You guys won't change your mind and haven't for years in this section of the board which is why I stayed out of it for years. Plenty of agencies looking for help and applicants so if you're willing to change our "racist culture" please pick up an app. :thumbs

• Thanks 1