The debate is over... right?

Branno

Here is the problem with Mike Riley, 

He did not do his due diligence when hiring his staff. Did mike know Diaco runs a bend don't break defense? If so, did Mike think it would be a good idea to have his players adjusting to a new system while allowing opposing QBs a plethora of time in the pocket?

Bruce Read made half a million dollars to do almost nothing, reports show that Read did would not even stay the entire practice.

Out of every OC Riley could have hired, Mike hired his friend, The same friend who in the past had play calling duties taken away from him.

Why bring in Mark Banker just to fire him in year three? Did Mike think that Husker fans were so patient that we would allow a rebuild in year three? Year 1 &2 would have been ok, but year 3 is unacceptable.

Why run a spread offense in years 1 & 2 and then switch in year 3? again why would fans be patient in year 3?

Why move Kalu to safety when we had 3 perfectly good options, and then start a true freshmen who played QB in high school now adjusting to and playing CB in Lamar jackson? 

I am done with Mike, I really did give him a chance, and I advocated pretty hard on his behalf. All he has done is talk a big game with no results. Calibraska.... yada yada yada, I am just over it. I am ready for a staff who makes players earn spots, who has expectations of winning, who emphasizes execution. 

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Rivals

MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM

“It’s not working out right now. They used to be a team that was formidable to play on the road in a big atmosphere and that’s not the case at all. Both of those games were at home, neither of those games were in jeopardy for the opponent. They just got rolled. They’re really not a threat to beat anybody good right now and Nebraska has higher standards than that.

“If you’re not a threat to beat any good football team in the Big Ten and there are about five or six of them, then I don’t think it’s working out very well. We’ll probably see a change at the end of the season. If not, then it will definitely be after next season. I don’t see them righting the ship here.”

Wonder if Mike is rethinking his earlier Tweets:

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM

“It’s not working out right now. They used to be a team that was formidable to play on the road in a big atmosphere and that’s not the case at all. Both of those games were at home, neither of those games were in jeopardy for the opponent. They just got rolled. They’re really not a threat to beat anybody good right now and Nebraska has higher standards than that.

“If you’re not a threat to beat any good football team in the Big Ten and there are about five or six of them, then I don’t think it’s working out very well. We’ll probably see a change at the end of the season. If not, then it will definitely be after next season. I don’t see them righting the ship here.”

Wonder if Mike is rethinking his earlier Tweets:

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

I guess that's why he was in the minority? :o

This is the problem with the people who said "people all over the country thought he was a good coach."  Most of the praise given was along the lines of "well-respected", "good guy", etc.  And that is probably true.  But that's not the same thing as being a great coach.

Almost every hire everywhere is a "home run" to a lot of media people.

• Plus1 1

Since it is a bye week I thought it would be a great chance, here is a new thing like planking, but we will call it "Rileying".  

First put on a Nebraska hat, hoodie and jogging pants.  Look like you are ready to lurk a sideline.  Then walk around with an empty grin, be really friendly, but do nothing.  and every time you talk to someone, tell them what you like and what you love, but be sure to not include any action items, but if you accidently let an objective slip out, be sure to do the opposite.  But be nice and reserved sun up to sundown.  

And here is the kicker.... 

Somehow get people to pay you $10,000 today to do it..

Edited by dvdcrr

Yeah, sorry. I just can't go to the place where Mike Riley doesn't care, isn't trying, or is happily absconding with our money.

Things didn't work out. Mike Riley is surely gone this season. Let's not get too ugly pushing him out the door.

Whatever you personally think about him, Riley enjoyed tremendous respect within the coaching community. That's the same place we'll be hiring our next coach from. 

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, sorry. I just can't go to the place where Mike Riley doesn't care, isn't trying, or is happily absconding with our money.

Things didn't work out. Mike Riley is surely gone this season. Let's not get too ugly pushing him out the door.

Whatever you personally think about him, Riley enjoyed tremendous respect within the coaching community. That's the same place we'll be hiring our next coach from. 

Yeah some of these posters are pathetic people.  With some of things being said about Riley, youd think he just robbed them and banged their wives.  Hes not a very good football coach, leave it at that.  Hes a good guy, he cares about the kids and he was a good ambassador to our state.  He tried and he failed, that's it.  Wish him luck and good fortune in retirement.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

35 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Yeah some of these posters are pathetic people.  With some of things being said about Riley, youd think he just robbed them and banged their wives.  Hes not a very good football coach, leave it at that.  Hes a good guy, he cares about the kids and he was a good ambassador to our state.  He tried and he failed, that's it.  Wish him luck and good fortune in retirement.

I am also tired of this.  Some of the things being said about the man are appalling.  I can't understand how you could think he is anything other than a respectful, honest, bona fide good person who just happens to have not been the best choice to be the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I am also tired of this.  Some of the things being said about the man are appalling.  I can't understand how you could think he is anything other than a respectful, honest, bona fide good person who just happens to have not been the best choice to be the head football coach at the University of Nebraska.

I don't think Mike acted in good faith on behalf of Nebraska when he paid Bruce Read $450,000