The debate is over... right?

Branno

So, in all honesty, is anyone hoping we actually lose out (or lose most of the remaining games) just to make Riley getting fired a sure thing? I just wonder if it isn’t in the best interest of the program long-term. Say he does win out, or at least goes 4-1 and is kept for another year. Would anyone feel good about that? I still think we lose most the recruits, morale will be horrible, and people will go into next year feeling pessimistic if he stays. I think this has been damaged beyond repair. I’m just in a weird place with the rest of the year and seeing if anyone else is too. 

11 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

So, in all honesty, is anyone hoping we actually lose out (or lose most of the remaining games) just to make Riley getting fired a sure thing? I just wonder if it isn’t in the best interest of the program long-term. Say he does win out, or at least goes 4-1 and is kept for another year. Would anyone feel good about that? I still think we lose most the recruits, morale will be horrible, and people will go into next year feeling pessimistic if he stays. I think this has been damaged beyond repair. I’m just in a weird place with the rest of the year and seeing if anyone else is too. 

I'm stating in many convos that I hope we lose enough for Riley to be gone - but I know come game day I will be rooting hard as hell (as I always do) for us to win. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I hope we win every game. Let the coaching process play out however it plays out. Even if Riley wins out, we're 8-4, so it's not like we haven't fired coaches with better records.

Vegas odds are pretty bad to win 4.   3-2 gets us a bowl and likely against a top 25 team to try and sell seats.  Someone better then Iowa.  So the best case percentages by the numbers people are they go 3-3 after bowling.

There are better odds they don't make a bowl with a 2-3 finish.

The lowest percentages would be 4-1 which would match the team with an even better bowl opponent.  So playing better then they've played to date could get them to a 4-2 finish. With an upset over Iowa at home.

Things change, but these are the most likely scenarios with the highest chances they finish 2-3 and no bowl.

I pick them 6-6 at season end.  6-7 if they get hosed in the bowl selection.

Edited by InOmaha

25 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

We are not winning out, so don't even worry/. But if we did lose out at least Mike is gone. 

This team is all sorts of messed up. Lamar Jackson starting is a joke, our defense coordinator is a joke. I am sick of watching this product. Nebraska football is a shell of its former self. It is not even fun watching this team play. The lack of execution, the lack of accountability, the talk, it is all a joke. And Mike is the captain, so he should go down with his ship

4-1 would be interesting scenario especially if the PSU loss was close.  3-2 and Riley keeps his job is a really bad sign for our ability to attract coaches.  The team would really need to show up and look impressive for Riley to keep his job.  Maybe they are using the bye week wisely and finally operating with a sense of urgency.  I would never want the team to lose.  Let the cards fall where they may.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

As far as I am concerned the debate started when we lost to NIU.  It was over when Ohio St treated us like we treated Kansas for decades.

This is a sad post but so true and it sucks to no end. Luckily, I lived through the 90's too. I'm assuming you did also since you referenced Kansas, LOL. I wouldn't trade the 90's for the past 19 years of suffering the team and fan base has seen. 

It will make winning much more sweeter with a new coach/staff just probably won't see the level of dominance we had then. We won't be down forever. Too many people love this program to let it fall to a complete catastrophe. We're not there yet but we're treading on dangerous ground.

51 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Totally agree with your second paragraph. He’s lost at every press conference just staring and searching for words.

I think he’s kind of shell shocked that he’s under this kind of fire because these futile results were praised at OSU. Easy to think “I’ll have more pressure to win” when you take the job. Different ballgame when you actually experience it.

Almost every response Mike Riley gives is an excuse or he begins to back pedal. He seems like the kind of guy who just doesn't know what to do so he just throws things at the wall hoping they stick. That's not a leader and that's not the kind of character we need running the football program, IMO. Yeah, he's a nice guy, that's great but your job is to win not make every program pity us because you're nice.

Edited by FTW
  • Plus1 1

Look, a great many people like Riley.  Say he is a likeable guy.  Part of me really doesn't.  I don't like a guy who says one thing, then consistently does another.  I don't like a guy who is willing to take millions of dollars for nothing.  I don't like a guy who puts on my school colors and consistently fails to give it his best shot.  This is a guy who has done real damage to this University through his failures, incompetence, or indifference, you pick.