Ohio State Game....What Did We Learn?

Hayseed

On 10/15/2017 at 6:18 AM, observer3 said:

Tanner Lee CAN play a game without an interception, and against a fierce defense !

23/38

303 yds

2 TD

0 INT

In the first half, Lee was 12/24 for 102 yards and 0 points.*

But I'm glad he didn't have any interceptions and played better in the second half against tOSU 2nd and 3rd string.

*Using ESPN Game Log, couldn't find official statistics half-by-half.

Edited by QMany
  • Plus1 4

This Defense drove me absolutely nuts vs OSU. The Diaco Defense is supposed to be a bend but don't break Defense, one that prevents big plays, and one that stiffens substantially when the opponent gets into the Red Zone. It was maddening that we only rushed 3, dropped 8 into coverage, and we still didn't cover anyone, especially in the underneath zones within 10-15 yds from the LOS! The Linbackers, and sometimes the DBs, would just keep staring at the QB, or into the OSU backfield, totally ignoring the WR or TE who just sat down in their zone 3 yards past the first down marker! Add to that the fact that OSU could repeatedly catch a pass and waltz into the end zone untouched, and I wanted to vomit. I mean, what the h$ll? :bang And, listening to Riley and Diaco in the postgames press conferences just pissed me off even further. What a bunch of babbling and excuse making...... :boxosoap

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:52 PM, gobiggergoredder said:

I'm going to throw myself under the bus.

Watching Bo stumble to 9 wins every year, I thought anyone could do it.  How the hell did this happen?  How did we end up with this guy.

this program hasn't had a guy that is both an Xs and Os and a leader at the helm in a long long time.  I'm excited for the future because I think this thing can be turned around.

You and me both! I will say that the improvement of several Big10 teams has made the schedule much tougher, but I too thought we could win 9 almost by just showing up. This season will prove that is certainly not the case, especially with the rapid rise of PSU, and the improvement of lower tier teams like Purdue,  Maryland, etc.......

16 hours ago, QMany said:

In the first half, Lee was 12/24 for 102 yards and 0 points.*

But I'm glad he didn't have any interceptions and played better in the second half against tOSU 2nd and 3rd string.

*Using ESPN Game Log, couldn't find official statistics half-by-half.

I think that's the 1st time he broke(barely) the 300 yd barrier.

yay :-0

On 10/14/2017 at 10:50 PM, LilRedIsABadOmen said:

Scott Frost will have good ole fashioned fun running the offense through JD Spielman over the next couple years :thumbs

Amen.  When a new COMPETENT coach comes here, it will be so evident how NU was so wasteful during the past 3 years  - wasted time.  We we get the right coach in here, maybe he can turn it into wise time invested in waiting for his arrival. Sounds like the 2nd coming - actually we are looking for the 3rd coming - Bob, Tom and ....Scott

• Plus1 1
On 10/16/2017 at 8:54 AM, StPaulHusker said:

I learned hiring Bob Diaco was a grave mistake.  And it may cost Riley his job.

That and keeping Cav and Langs. -- If we are talking about MR hiring or firing the wrong person  we might as well go all the way back to the root -  SE hiring MR

But to your point - I have yet to be impressed by Diaco's D.  Apparently his successful reputation was due to one player at ND.  It propelled him to HC at UConn and we know how that turned out.   So this begs the question - is it his system or do we not have the right players for his system?  We could be chasing that tail forever - good coaching takes the stuff they have (the players and talents) keep making a better product - It isn't happening.