The Fundamental Nebraska Problem With Trying To Do A BIackout

knapplc

Asking Nebraska fans to wear black to a game is like asking Florida fans to wear black to a game.  It's not the team's colors so it doesn't resonate.

The white out Penn St does works because white is one of their teams colors.

In addition, maybe the Iron N should try to give people more than 3 days notice via social media to get something like this started.  

• Plus1 3

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Asking Nebraska fans to wear black to a game is like asking Florida fans to wear black to a game.  It's not the team's colors so it doesn't resonate.

The white out Penn St does works because white is one of their teams colors.

In addition, maybe the Iron N should try to give people more than 3 days notice via social media to get something like this started.  

They're going to have to give the shirts away for free and drap them over seats in order to get mass participation. 

I know the topic of a "b*******" is always a heated discussion, and I am a pretty traditional, 40+ year old Cornhusker fan.  I don't go to many games anymore, but on Saturdays in the fall, I am almost always wearing RED.  I just like having Nebraska shirts in red, because that's what Nebraska is, we are RED.  I have one black Nebraska polo that I wear to work on occasion, but even that feels weird.  So, if I am going to a Nebraska game, either in Lincoln or on the road, I am 99% certain I am going to wear red.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know the topic of a "b*******" is always a heated discussion, and I am a pretty traditional, 40+ year old Cornhusker fan.  I don't go to many games anymore, but on Saturdays in the fall, I am almost always wearing RED.  I just like having Nebraska shirts in red, because that's what Nebraska is, we are RED.  I have one black Nebraska polo that I wear to work on occasion, but even that feels weird.  So, if I am going to a Nebraska game, either in Lincoln or on the road, I am 99% certain I am going to wear red.

I agree.

The need of a black out just isn't necessary

• Plus1 2

Blaming the students is idiotic when most students left town because of fall break.  Knapp is exactly right about the change in policy for students selling tickets.  This also dramatically affected the sales of student tickets.  I used to go to every single game except maybe one or two when I had to go home for the weekend. I would pay for the season ticket by selling those one or two games.  That's big for a broke college student.

If Adidas really wants to help do something cool.  They could donate teeshirts for the stadium that would make three stripes on both the east and west side.  The entire stadium would be red except three white stripes on both sides.  OR....if it could be done, make the three white stripes circle the entire stadium.

Edited by BigRedBuster
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree.

The need of a black out just isn't necessary

I read a uniform blog almost everyday called uni-watch.com.  The lead writer (who also writes for ESPN) hates the trend of teams having alternate uniforms in black (or now gray) when black (or gray) isn't a team color.  He calls is teams wearing "black for black's sake" (BFBS, for short).  When the student section, wants to have a b*******, to me it's much of the same thought, they just want to wear BFBS.

I understand that the Blackshirts are a huge tradition for the football team, but it's just the color of a practice jersey.  The school colors are SCARLET and CREAM, so it's just easier to wear those colors.  Now, everyone get off my lawn.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I read a uniform blog almost everyday called uni-watch.com.  The lead writer (who also writes for ESPN) hates the trend of teams having alternate uniforms in black (or now gray) when black (or gray) isn't a team color.  He calls is teams wearing "black for black's sake" (BFBS, for short).  When the student section, wants to have a b*******, to me it's much of the same thought, they just want to wear BFBS.

I understand that the Blackshirts are a huge tradition for the football team, but it's just the color of a practice jersey.  The school colors are SCARLET and CREAM, so it's just easier to wear those colors.  Now, everyone get off my lawn.

So, do you wear red or do you wear scarlet on game days? 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Cdog923 said:

So, do you wear red or do you wear scarlet on game days? 

Good one.

I actually had a conversation about different shades of red with my son the other day.  His baseball team's colors are red and white (with some black trim).  The past couple of years, the reds in the different parts of the uniform haven't matched.  Their red jersey was more of a crimson, while the hats and socks were more of a scarlet color.  I was annoyed with that color consistency.  It shouldn't be hard to get matching shades of red.